14 day moorings near Wilmcote

WhiteSuit

Featured Posts

Hi looking for somewhere safe to moor up as above so we can get back home for my daughter's birthday in early August. Any of you good fountains of knowledge have any suggestions? I can't remember what the towpath is like there. I have also been hearing lots of rumors about the Stratford being short of water and facing imminent restrictions. Anyone on there at the moment with non fake news?

thank you in anticipation

Mark

Either above or below the locks, there are always a number of boats left there.  At the top it would be just before you get to the winding hole, at the bottom anywhere from the lock approach to the bypass bridge. 

The northern stratford was 5 inches off weir today. It took us 7 hours from the junction  ( kings norton) to the top of lapworth. The locals kept informing us we wouldnt make it. We got stuck complete stop many times. Crt had a pusher tug workboat that followed us  from gas street to almost to hockley heath. I slacked it by just before the pub, and he dredged the rest of the way for us to the lift bridge, where his hydraulic drive expired for a bit. 

I doubt if we have much paint  left on the baseplate. We had to charge some bits at full throttle just to get through. Used more engine oil than in the previous 3 months boating combined, and i am mechanicaly sympathetic to my 55 year old engine and box.

Coming down lapworth there was water everywhere apparently ‘being sent downhill,’ and reports that the southern section is low.

as for mooring at wilmcote id go top locks in village on armco near winding hole. When i was a member of working class we commuted to work from there to leicester  for 12 days, without an issue.

10 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

The northern stratford was 5 inches off weir today. It took us 7 hours from the junction  ( kings norton) to the top of lapworth. The locals kept informing us we wouldnt make it. We got stuck complete stop many times. Crt had a pusher tug workboat that followed us  from gas street to almost to hockley heath. I slacked it by just before the pub, and he dredged the rest of the way for us to the lift bridge, where his hydraulic drive expired for a bit. 

I doubt if we have much paint  left on the baseplate. We had to charge some bits at full throttle just to get through. Used more engine oil than in the previous 3 months boating combined, and i am mechanicaly sympathetic to my 55 year old engine and box.

Coming down lapworth there was water everywhere apparently ‘being sent downhill,’ and reports that the southern section is low.

as for mooring at wilmcote id go top locks in village on armco near winding hole. When i was a member of working class we commuted to work from there to leicester  for 12 days, without an issue.

Was the rest of the Birmingham level down?  There is not much tolerance on the North Stratford, if it is down a bit then there are problems, like when there were the issues at Ryder’s Green lowering the whole Birmingham level.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Was the rest of the Birmingham level down?  There is not much tolerance on the North Stratford, if it is down a bit then there are problems, like when there were the issues at Ryder’s Green lowering the whole Birmingham level.

We did Hockley Port to Hopwood yesterday. It was down a bit and a certain amount of slithering and bouncing did occur, notably in the middle of channel at The Vale, and the last few bridge 'oles before Wasts Hill tunnel.

The good news is that dredgers are at work along there. They're emptying the hoppers into trucks at the Bourneville VMs (which are closed), The narrow channels under the two long skew railway bridges have been done and are vastly improved. I hope they do the Vale too.

MP.

ETA, I know this isn't the North Stratford, it is the same route into Brum.

Edited by MoominPapa

Thanks everyone, Roland I assume from your half century engine that you are quite deep draft. We went up lapworth at the end June and it was down then, we struggled to get onto the bank a few times and heard tales of boats getting stuck in bridge holes. 

Spoke to Anglo Welsh at Wooten Wawen whose hirers have not had problems. No notifications to them by CRT, or none revealed. I would rather not come back to the boat to find it beached.