Squeaky Fenders

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Looks like we've bought the wrong shaped fenders - they are flat - thinking the shape would (somehow) be better.  This is the shape https://www.elyboatchandlers.com/narrowboat-fenders/flat-profile-side-fender

Problem is they squeek like crazy; 'frightening the dog' especially at silly o/c in the night/morning.  We've tried washing up liquid, and furniture polish, but that's not worked for long.

We've learnt the lesson that we should have gone for the round ones! But we're now stuck with them. 

Is there a solution? Or perhaps there's another use for the two fenders ☹️

I'd suggest you also avoid the rather smarter looking long round ones which are air filled.  A month after fitting 6 nice shiny new ones, 3 of mine are split. I'll be replacing them with the less aesthetically pleasing solid rubber ones again shortly. :(

• Greenie 1

We have that type of fender but they don't squeak :-) . Perhaps if you moor with springs the boat won't be able to move and the squeak will stop. Or maybe very tight ropes so that the fender is well and truly trapped. We put the fenders down before we do the last tighten to the mooring ropes and we often have to loosen a rope in the morning to get the fender out.#

Perhaps you are being too kind to your fenders :-)]

We prefer rope fenders (Iain makes them) but the plastic ones came with the boat. 

haggis

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Round ones squeek too. Rope ones are best.

Thanks Paul, sounds like a plan

24 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'd suggest you also avoid the rather smarter looking long round ones which are air filled.  A month after fitting 6 nice shiny new ones, 3 of mine are split. I'll be replacing them with the less aesthetically pleasing solid rubber ones again shortly. :(

That was the problem for us, we turned on the boiler for hot water forgetting the fender was covering the exhaust pipe - mind these 'new' ones could go the same way if we forget again.

20 minutes ago, haggis said:

We have that type of fender but they don't squeak ? . Perhaps if you moor with springs the boat won't be able to move and the squeak will stop. Or maybe very tight ropes so that the fender is well and truly trapped. We put the fenders down before we do the last tighten to the mooring ropes and we often have to loosen a rope in the morning to get the fender out.#

Perhaps you are being too kind to your fenders :-)]

We prefer rope fenders (Iain makes them) but the plastic ones came with the boat. 

haggis

This could be our problem, we're on the Ouse at the moment, and prefer loose (ish) lines. Good point to hang the fenders before tying mooring ropes.

7 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I can sell you some special fender grease to quiet them down. It might seem expensive, but Jen-in-Wellies Fender Grease(tm) is the only one specially made for boat fenders. ?

Jen

Can I have some?

One of my fenders squeaked once so it would be handy to have some of this just in case it ever happens again.

I'm not worried about the expense as I have more money than sense. Where shall I send the money?

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Or stockings. Stockings and fufenders. 

There are fender socks on the market, certainly for sausage shaped fenders. Very popular with the yachting fraternity. I don't know whether they make them for flat fenders, however.

https://www.marinescene.co.uk/category/292/fender-socks

Howard

Just now, howardang said:

There are fender socks on the market, certainly for sausage shaped fenders. Very popular with the yachting fraternity. I don't know whether they make them for flat fenders, however.

Howard

I had some on my yacht fenders. Took them off 10 years ago. 

13 minutes ago, howardang said:

Howard

Surely round socks become flat socks when placed on flat fenders.

It seems to work that way on my feet anyway!?

George