Canal Club - who on earth picks the names?!

Sea Dog

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Tonight, using one of those high speed cameras, I read the name on the front of a Canal Club boat as it passed.  It was "Mealy Amazon".

Where was this?

"Imperial Amazon" is a regular on our patch, so I'm a bit surprised if there is also a "Mealy Amazon"

STOP PRESS!

I'm wrong......

They have at least

Cuban Amazon

Mealy Amazon

Imperial Amazon

Linky

Edited by alan_fincher

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Tonight, using one of those high speed cameras, I read the name on the front of a Canal Club boat as it passed.  It was "MEALY AMAZON". 

Now there are some naff names on canal boats ("R Soles" went the other way about the same time as it happens - who knows how well named that particular GRP Cruiser is?), but all of Canal Club's 'sleek blue messengers of destruction' seem to have these 2 unrelated word, seemingly irrelevant, names. What's that about?

(I made the bit up about the high speed camera - this one was being very considerately driven actually) :)

That must be the sister ship to "R Swipe", also a GRP cruiser based on the T&M at the Plum Pudding moorings.

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Where was this?

"Imperial Amazon" is a regular on our patch, so I'm a bit surprised if there is also a "Mealy Amazon"

STOP PRESS!

I'm wrong......

They have at least

Cuban Amazon

Mealy Amazon

Imperial Amazon

Linky

Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs!  Parrots eh?  Well I've learned something today. I thought they were two unconnected words like Papyrus Horseradish or Handcart Thunderbolt.  Next time I see a scruffy blue flash I'll be straight on Google!

Beautiful plumage. ;)

8 hours ago, Flyboy said:

That must be the sister ship to "R Swipe", also a GRP cruiser based on the T&M at the Plum Pudding moorings.

Ah yes, I believe I've seen that one too. Nice. No wonder Mike the Boilerman has a thing about naff boat names!

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Ah yes, I believe I've seen that one too. Nice. No wonder Mike the Boilerman has a thing about naff boat names!

I can just imagine it :

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, this is R-Soles, we have 5 R-souls on board and are sinking, Position - is the nether regions, assistance required.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I can just imagine it :

Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, this is R-Soles, we have 5 R-souls on board and are sinking, Position - is the nether regions, assistance required.

I don't think much of your VHF protocol, can you do it properly please ?

4 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Canaltime boats have always had weird names chosen by the guy who ran it, and since the Balkanisation of that operation they eeem to have continued the tradition.

Tradition is important on the cut:giggles:

I was told ages ago by one of the South West Durham joiners that because they built so many Canaltime boats, John Flynn ran out of creative inspiration so each staff member got to name a boat or two.