Boater drains section of K&A

rgreg

Featured Posts

Strange, if you leave ALL the paddles up,  you can't get out of the lock you are in. 

If CRT spokesperson thinks this is a rushing boater they don't know sod all.

More likely someone in a low pound draining the one above to level their boat...

..eh. Mike??

Anyway, good to see it was not malicious and it was just someone in a hurry - so that's OK then!  Not great, but a bigger issue for me is that the BBC felt the need to add a photo of what a canal looks like when there's water in it, so the general public could see that the first photo was depicting a problem! Has it really come to that? :help:

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Strange, if you leave ALL the paddles up,  you can't get out of the lock you are in. 

Which of course is not what the article says.

Never let the facts get in the way of a good anti-CRT rant, eh Matty?

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It's ambiguous: he apparently left all the lock gates open and the paddles up, but you're correct, it doesn't specify whether all the paddles were up.

I wonder how he managed to leave all the lock gates open and still go through.

Is it not fortunate that many boaters on the K&A don't wish to move anywhere anyway (allegedly).

We don’t know the facts. I have moored overnight in the pound, the water level moved quite a bit while boats were moving but settled down at night. Today’s problem could be deliberate or someone doing something silly. At least the boats on the bottom were left reasonably level.

Draining the pound is  sooo much easier than moving the boat  when the 14 days ( or so ) are up.

Used up the usual excuses, Im working localy my kids are in school its crt fault, its the only time i can move ive got a hospital appointment/ sick dog/ sick mother/ broken down , ( 4 months on the one near our mooring) Theres no water is way easier, just let that water go...

Still, as an outcome it's better than the usual reports we've been used to expecting this time of year regarding the K&A.

I am of course referring to the popular sport of sinking narrow boats in locks by utilising the cill, or introducing the front fender and its chain to a protruding bolt when descending. 

Alternatively, when ascending, jamming the same fender into a gate recess or simply going below to pop some corn in the microwave at a critical moment.

Perhaps it's just a passing fad and next year we can expect a return to normal stupidity.

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The BBC article has been edited, the original stated left ALL paddles up as well.

8 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Funny how such piddly stories get picked up. It is on page 3 of today's Times and at one point this morning it was the most read story on the BBC news web site!

As indeed it was for quite a while last night.

It hasn't dropped out of the top ten as far as I have seen.

Pretty good for what is effectively a complete non story.

(Well it's not as if it doesn't happen all over the system on a regular basis, is it?)

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

The BBC article has been edited, the original stated left ALL paddles up as well.

Of course it has. 

Good attempt at an excuse, I'll store that one away for future use myself one day!

22 hours ago, Stewart Kirby said:

We don’t know the facts. I have moored overnight in the pound, the water level moved quite a bit while boats were moving but settled down at night. Today’s problem could be deliberate or someone doing something silly. At least the boats on the bottom were left reasonably level.

That’s because of all the silt, not a lot of depth when there is water in the pound.

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

Radio 2 had a crt spokesman saying that all the paddles had been left up by a boater going through. He implied that it was quite a few locks.

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Of course it has. 

Good attempt at an excuse, I'll store that one away for future use myself one day!

46 minutes ago, bastion said:

Radio 2 had a crt spokesman saying that all the paddles had been left up by a boater going through. He implied that it was quite a few locks.

Cough....

57 minutes ago, F DRAYKE said:

That’s because of all the silt, not a lot of depth when there is water in the pound.

That's the benefit of having s9 many wide beams on the K&A, they spread the silt wider. We are recommending all the ones on the GU go down there to help.

We passed a hire boat between locks on the KandA - 1 mike pound or thereabouts - and when we arrived at the lock they had just left, we found all top and bottom paddles open. Fortunately this was only a few minutes after they had left. I couldn’t understand how they could have bee so stupid but then realised they were going up and the lock had one of those “please leave empty” signs on it. So they had exited the lock, closed the gate, opened the bottom paddles as asked - but forgot to close the top paddles.