Spare alternator

plainsman

Featured Posts

My boat only runs one 90ah alternator that serves my needs ok. I was wondering about carrying a spare as things tend to break when miles from anywhere.  Apart from laying out the cash are there any disadvantages? Do they deteriorate/lose magmatism?   I did consider running two in tandem but the engineering involved for my engine (vintage engine in engine room) would be complicated or at best untidy. Any views?

Not a bad idea to carry a spare. One advantage you have is that whilst you have one working you can buy your spare at lesure at a competitive price. Most people get caught when having tobuy one. A bit like starter motors.

For prompt and reasonable repairs/refurbish then Colin at Stones Auto Electrics in Kidderminster is a gem. Proper old school workshop and diagnostics c/w knowledge and a cheery smile..

25 minutes ago, plainsman said:

My boat only runs one 90ah alternator that serves my needs ok. I was wondering about carrying a spare as things tend to break when miles from anywhere.  Apart from laying out the cash are there any disadvantages? Do they deteriorate/lose magmatism?   I did consider running two in tandem but the engineering involved for my engine (vintage engine in engine room) would be complicated or at best untidy. Any views?

Always good to have spares but it depends how much money you want tied up in stuff that may never go wrong? I even carry a spare victron inverter just in case but Ive never yet had one go bang on me.

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Always good to have spares but it depends how much money you want tied up in stuff that may never go wrong? I even carry a spare victron inverter just in case but Ive never yet had one go bang on me.

Mike The Boilerman and Alan Fincher take it to its logical conclusion by having spare boats ?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Mike The Boilerman and Alan Fincher take it to its logical conclusion by having spare boats ?

Some even have a spare hull on the same boat, and a replacement lister in their shed (mr denfield) 

It's an immutable fact that you never ever require the parts for which you have a spare. 

Yes, keep a spare alternator tucked away...you'll never need it though! I have a lovely reconditioned one and it's been quietly sitting here for 12 years now.

In a moment of madness I bought a spare engine from ebay really cheaply advertised as 'spares or repair'. With a little fiddling I got it all going and I fire it up every now and again and happily let my neighbours listen to its dulcet bomp, bomp, bomp... I've never used a single part from it.

Now, a while back my shower pump failed. No spare. I purchased a reconditioning kit and a new pump....yet another useful part squirrelled away. 

The great thing about boat owning is that we have lots of little corners to tuck away these bits and pieces. 

So...my advice....keep some spares....then you'll never need them.

Edited by Peter-Bullfinch

6 hours ago, plainsman said:

Some of the self exiting Leece Nevel jobs might lose magnetismg but if you had one of those you may well know how to demagnetise it. Ordinary 9 diode machines should be fine in store.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Some of the self exiting Leece Nevel jobs might lose magnetismg but if you had one of those you may well know how to demagnetise it. Ordinary 9 diode machines should be fine in store.

As it happens the one fitted is a Leeds Neville. Given the point about losing magnetism would I be better with an ordinary 9 diode assuming I can get one with equivalent fitting?

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

And an excellent plan it is too.

Each time I have an engine change forecast to take three weeks, I have a spare boat to use for the three months it actually takes!

13 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And an excellent plan it is too.

Each time I have an engine change forecast to take three weeks, I have a spare boat to use for the three months it actually takes!

Jeez, wot do you do to the poor engines. I've had the same one for 20 years:)

1 hour ago, plainsman said:

As it happens the one fitted is a Leeds Neville. Given the point about losing magnetism would I be better with an ordinary 9 diode assuming I can get one with equivalent fitting?

As long as you know how to remagnatise it then it will be fine, just a little extra task if it did lose magnetism. In any case you really ought to know how to do it in case the present machine demagnetises over the winter or some such.