Best place to find someone up for an adventure?

jimxtc

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

I suspect we have a case of macular degeneration which leaves the sufferer with a lack of central vision but their peripheral vision is fine and the sufferer will have over the years learnt to compensate and would be perfectly capable of using a lock.

Phil 

That is what we were told a few weeks ago in a thread answering a query from him about remotely controlling a narrow boat. The OP was wanting to buy a boat and convert it to be steered remotely from the bow, or even from the bank. 

Howard

16 hours ago, howardang said:

That is what we were told a few weeks ago in a thread answering a query from him about remotely controlling a narrow boat. The OP was wanting to buy a boat and convert it to be steered remotely from the bow, or even from the bank. 

Howard

Ah I remember, recall posting on that thread too.

Phil 

• 2 years later...
On 18/07/2018 at 10:50, jimxtc said:

Thank you for your good wishes, most people in my position are not as tenacious as I am!  If I can ride a motorcycle trials bike in competition both here and in Europe (albeit badly!) then I am sure I can crew on a boat.  I have done it before on a couple of narrowboat holidays and last year on a cruiser on the Great Ouse.  I recently sat in on the RYA Helmsman course where I paid for a couple of friends to be trained so I know I can do it.  The two skippers I have in reserve don't have the free time to go on a long trip unfortunately.  I am sure there is someone out there who would welcome the chance for an adventure but don't have their own boat - I just don't know where to look to find them, hence my post!

Hi just wondered if you managed to find crew & start your adventure. I am looking to do an adventure & wanted to know how you got on. I have some experience of living on a narrowboat.

look forward to hearing from you

Gertie

13 minutes ago, Gertie said:

Hi just wondered if you managed to find crew & start your adventure. I am looking to do an adventure & wanted to know how you got on. I have some experience of living on a narrowboat.

Gertie

I too replied to the original post,and am curious to know if he managed to find a "human guide dog".

Guide cats are interesting. They guide you along all the short cuts, through holes in fences as well as tiptoeing along the top of them, jumping ditches, expect you to dash fast across roads without doing any kerb drill.  You usually get somewhere quickly, but not always, the pussy might take the long circular scenic route specially for there own benefit, stopping to mark, spray the route like patterans so as to follow them on the way back, and might disappear for a while to have a poop in secret, leaving you stranded. They frequently stop to wash behind their ears too. The odd long long stand off might occur too if another cat turns up, possibly errupting into a fight, all for your entertainment. Pussy cats are great show off's.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Gertie said:

Would be interested in knowing what happened & why are you called Mad Harold ??

It is merely my user name .

In memory of a friend I used to fly with.

Harold had flown Mosquitos in the war,and in civilian flying ,after flying in combat,nothing scared him.

He was not mad,but Mad Harold became his nickname.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Gertie said:

Gertie

Hello Gertie, I didn't get on at all well honey!  I bought a boat in Oct 2018 on the premise that if I had a boat it would be easier to find someone up for an adventure than finding someone with a boat.  In the 2 years I owned it I covered maybe 30 miles at best and didn't find a skipper.  I did have a woman lined up who was going to tow my boat behind hers but I lost contact with her before Christmas last year.  I was disheartened by the attitude of some on here and the parasitic marina I was moored in so have decided to stay on dry land.  I have also shelved the second phase of my dream which was to buy a motorhome and travel the UK.  I shall buy a cat and weave baskets I think!

Good luck with your adventure.

Cheers,

Jim

• Sad 1
  • Unimpressed 1

Really sorry to hear that your plans didn't work out as you hoped.Some marinas do very little except hold their hand out for money and let you know how priviledged you are to moor with them.

I know it's easy for me to talk,but if you have the boat,you're halfway there.There are other marinas.

You now "only"need the human guide dog.But with the determination you have so far shown,I am sure it is possible to find such a person.

I wish you all the luck.

Mad Harold. (Furness previously)

11 hours ago, jimxtc said:

Hello Gertie, I didn't get on at all well honey!  I bought a boat in Oct 2018 on the premise that if I had a boat it would be easier to find someone up for an adventure than finding someone with a boat.  In the 2 years I owned it I covered maybe 30 miles at best and didn't find a skipper.  I did have a woman lined up who was going to tow my boat behind hers but I lost contact with her before Christmas last year.  I was disheartened by the attitude of some on here and the parasitic marina I was moored in so have decided to stay on dry land.  I have also shelved the second phase of my dream which was to buy a motorhome and travel the UK.  I shall buy a cat and weave baskets I think!

Good luck with your adventure.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim so sorry to hear that you couldn't start your adventure, think your enthusiasm is commendable so never give up on having dreams & adventures. Do you still have your boat ? 

Jim the world has enough baskets already. Where there are Adventures there is hope. 

Gertie

• Greenie 2

12 hours ago, jimxtc said:

I shall buy a cat and weave baskets

Point of order; you can't weave baskets with a cat. You need a bodkin.

New to this thread and sorry to hear that your plans didn't work out. I am not sure that I have anything practical to offer but I am acutely aware of the issues with your eyesight (as carer for an old lady - okay, mother - with age-related macular degeneration) and feel a certain kinship (having grown up in Brighton, enjoying motor-homing and boating, and been a keen trials bike rider when young on board a Montesa, a Bultaco, and a converted BSA Bantam). For the MoHo side of things, there are a couple of good sites similar to this one - not sure whether I am allowed to mention other sites - can't think why not - but "mothorhome fun" is a good and populous place.

5 hours ago, Bacchus said:

Point of order; you can't weave baskets with a cat. You need a bodkin.

New to this thread and sorry to hear that your plans didn't work out. I am not sure that I have anything practical to offer but I am acutely aware of the issues with your eyesight (as carer for an old lady - okay, mother - with age-related macular degeneration) and feel a certain kinship (having grown up in Brighton, enjoying motor-homing and boating, and been a keen trials bike rider when young on board a Montesa, a Bultaco, and a converted BSA Bantam). For the MoHo side of things, there are a couple of good sites similar to this one - not sure whether I am allowed to mention other sites - can't think why not - but "mothorhome fun" is a good and populous place.

Thank you for your input Bacchus, I wish I had been aware of the bodkin versus cat thing earlier, I am sure a bodkin would eat less and make a better job of the basket.

Well we do seem to have a number of connecting threads don't we?  I have macular degeneration which I have had since 19 so 'teen-related' I guess!  I have a Blultaco in my garage and a trials converted  Tiger Cub in my dining room.  My decades old dream of owning a narrowboat when I had the time and money did come to fruition but sadly the adventure did not.  The second part of my  dream which was to travel in a motorhome around the UK looks as likely as the narrowboat adventure now.  My boat was 18 months old when I bought her with just 40 hours running time.  I had her for 2 years and she still has less than 100 hours running time but cost me in excess of £11,000 to have been nowhere.  I thought if I had the boat it would have been easy to find someone to accompany me but it was not to be.  She is under offer now.  I guess from your username that we still enjoy a similar hobby!

6 hours ago, Gertie said:

Hi Jim so sorry to hear that you couldn't start your adventure, think your enthusiasm is commendable so never give up on having dreams & adventures. Do you still have your boat ? 

Jim the world has enough baskets already. Where there are Adventures there is hope. 

Gertie

Hi Gertie, my boat is under offer but the river trial is on hold because the buyer contracted the virus and had to isolate then we were locked down.  Boats are at a premium currently I understand even though it is the end of the season.  My dreams are on hold while I get beyond my disappointment.  For now, I will lend my capital to my sister so she can pay off her mortgage and retire.  I started by looking to find someone to share an adventure with because I can't do it alone and it's always more fun with two; I drew a blank so thought owning a boat may make the difference but it didn't.  My next post may be 'Looking for someone going on an adventure and needing crew'!

Cheers,

Jim

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Really sorry to hear that your plans didn't work out as you hoped.Some marinas do very little except hold their hand out for money and let you know how priviledged you are to moor with them.

I know it's easy for me to talk,but if you have the boat,you're halfway there.There are other marinas.

You now "only"need the human guide dog.But with the determination you have so far shown,I am sure it is possible to find such a person.

I wish you all the luck.

Mad Harold. (Furness previously)

Hi Harold,

Yes that is what I thought, I am half way there with a boat but I just couldn't achieve the other half!  While I always knew a boat was expensive, my pockets are not bottomless and I was getting no return from the boat by way of enjoyment so I cut my losses.  The closest stretch of water to me that join the canal network was 3 hours away, it was a 3 train journey and a 3 mile walk (or taxi).  Everything I took to the boat had to be carried on my back for that journey.  The first few trips to get the boat organised and ready for a long trip was enjoyable but once it was ready all I could do was sit in the marina and feed the ducks.  I think maybe I over estimated my capabilities or the appeal of going on an adventure with me!  In August 2018 two friends and I hired a 54' narrowboat and did the small Birmingham ring.  As I couldn't skipper, I did every one of the 91 locks & bridges we encountered.  I need to realign my dreams to those I can achieve on my own I think.

Cheers,

Jim

42 minutes ago, jimxtc said:

Hi Gertie, my boat is under offer but the river trial is on hold because the buyer contracted the virus and had to isolate then we were locked down.  Boats are at a premium currently I understand even though it is the end of the season.  My dreams are on hold while I get beyond my disappointment.  For now, I will lend my capital to my sister so she can pay off her mortgage and retire.  I started by looking to find someone to share an adventure with because I can't do it alone and it's always more fun with two; I drew a blank so thought owning a boat may make the difference but it didn't.  My next post may be 'Looking for someone going on an adventure and needing crew'!

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim

I know exactly how you feel... Your sister is very lucky to have a brother like you. It's hard to get over the disappointment of not fulfilling your dreams but it doesn't stop you dreaming, if only you could just switch your dreams off & be content. You sound like your be looking for an adventure like me. Good luck with your search.

Gertie

Thank you for the update Jim.

I do feel your disappointment quite strongly.

I am sure we all regret some of the things we have done (I certainly do!) but I think I would have more regret by not doing them even when they turned into a sack of rat droppings.

Best of luck with whatever you do.

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...
On 26/07/2022 at 20:39, Melissa Lee said:

Hello Melissa, just a couple of years too late I am afraid honey.  I sold my boat as it was haemorrhaging money and giving no return in pleasure.  It had been my dream for such a long time but just was not to be sadly.  I wish you luck finding a travel companion.

• Love 1

would you be interested in mentoring me? passing on all your keen insights and hard earned knowledge? i've an eye for canal life and want to take the plunge and own my own boat, or share one with someone, but i am nervous about my lack of actual experience and i've recently survived some sort of escape from italy disaster movie (lockdown has unleashed their làtent fascist tendencies) and am battered and bruised a bit and looking for a helping hand.  i have a few friends in nottingham area, but know no one with any barge/boat experience, also because of my circumstances (usa disability $ ((2k/month)) income restrictions and stolen italian passport i need to replace) i can't have my name on anything. boo brexit boo.  is asking to meet in september or october before i head north from my current dutch hills and heather hideaway a feasible idea? is there a cheap budget boatfloat/pontoon i could look for here? is getting across the channel doable, or is it better to shop where i want to stop? i've collected a big battery and parts for a mobile solar setup but i need a hand to hold and reassure my lazy arthritic weak hands and knees that work well only an hour or three a day that this is something i won't be overwhelmed by. seeing offers for half shares on two bunkered boats made me wonder if you might want to co-own your dream boat with me? i have no preferences besides a comfy bed, hot coffee and freedom from alarm clocks and rigid routines. thoughts?