Another New Sign

David Mack

Featured Posts

On 18/07/2018 at 08:33, alan_fincher said:

Wouldn't a cyclist taking the trip over the tunnel not know that they were at Hebden Bridge, and on the Rochdale Canal?

Someone should check whether they got planning permission for that sign - a motorist coming towards it with an obscured view caused by traffic coming in the other direction could well be misled into thinking they has strayed onto a motorway.  Highways generally are not happy about new signs going up next to the road - we know because we've tried to get anchor points for a speed monitor in our village and they demand surveys and God knows what else, and charge a fortune to deciding whether safety would be compromised by sticking a post in the ground.  What's more they won't allow anything within 500cm of a carriageway. Either this sign is huge or its closer than that. 

31 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

What's more they won't allow anything within 500cm of a carriageway.

That's an odd unit to use. 

I had to think twice before realising this is really 5 metres. I'm sure most signs are closer than 5m to the carriageway. Did you mean 500mm? That seems a bit close though. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's an odd unit to use. 

I had to think twice before realising this is really 5 metres. I'm sure most signs are closer than 5m to the carriageway. Did you mean 500mm? That seems a bit close though. 

Yes it really is half a metre.

Edited by Tanglewood
to correct typo

38 minutes ago, Sir Nibble said:

Don't they all get knocked over on a daily basis? I thought 1.5 metres between a vehicle and objects to the side was required to avoid a collision.

Only if the signs are wobbling about all over the place!

George

On 18/07/2018 at 10:25, Dartagnan said:

Do they need and did they get planning permission?  I seem to recall planning permission is required in order to erect a permanent sign by the highway for the very purpose of not distracting motorists.  I could be wrong though as I usually am ?

.. and sometimes there is a charge

On training courses many years ago I was repeatedly told "you don't need to know how things are done to be a manager", with which I strongly disagree.

The above sign placement and choice of content proves me correct....

20 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

On training courses many years ago I was repeatedly told "you don't need to know how things are done to be a manager", with which I strongly disagree.

The above sign placement and choice of content proves me correct....

I have met many managers who prove the point. I've also met managers who do know how things are done. They are generally far better managers than their cousins who just manage.

On 19/07/2018 at 18:42, David Mack said:

Looks like a fancier sign is about to appear at Leeds Lock.20180719_183913.jpg.d72b4bb7f16b508ad589643f6e1c4a91.jpg

Have you any idea what it’s for as we no idea.   Looks to be connected to the new electrical box erected as well.

• 1 month later...
On 17/07/2018 at 17:31, David Mack said:

Do motorists approaching Hebden Bridge from the east really need this sign at Fallingroyd Tunnel?

(The canal is on the right, and crosses beneath the road behind the sign). 

20180716_160914.jpg.a0846cb127de5cba98e23a8a1ae32c62.jpg

Well it seems motorists approaching Hebden Bridge from the east no longer need the sign. Its gone!!

20180829_202114.jpg.50c8ce37e48c3bdfc477b64ebcc1469f.jpg

And its not just random vandalism. The posts have been removed and all that's left are two patches of topsoil.

20180829_202134.jpg.dd0e889f4c79d73d4fe7612e5c4887ce.jpg

On ‎18‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 08:33, alan_fincher said:

Wouldn't a cyclist taking the trip over the tunnel not know that they were at Hebden Bridge, and on the Rochdale Canal?

Might depend where they'd started from. Some cyclists pedal a long way. I don't really see why a cyclist would know they were at Hebden Bridge, and on the Rochdale Canal any more than a motorist would?

Edited by blackrose