Another New Sign

David Mack

Featured Posts

Just coming up worcester and birmingham , scattering of yellow signs’ warning slippery bank’, ‘warning cyclists  low headroom’ , ‘ warning lockside may be slippery’ ‘warning life may present with hazards, however even if you avoid them all you may not get out alive’ 

All on yellow plastic zipped tied to things.

nearly fell off the boat as aged eyes attempted to read.

nb. Only one of these warnings is accurate.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Do motorists approaching Hebden Bridge from the east really need this sign at Fallingroyd Tunnel?

(The canal is on the right, and crosses beneath the road behind the sign). 

20180716_160914.jpg.a0846cb127de5cba98e23a8a1ae32c62.jpg

Very useful sign - publicity wise.... 'cept the motorists (in either direction) can't read it.....

(perhaps it's there for the benefit of cyclists?)

Just now, OldGoat said:

Very useful sign - publicity wise.... 'cept the motorists (in either direction) can't read it.....

Westbound motorists most definitely can see it (when the bus isn't in the way). That's how I first saw it.

46 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Westbound motorists most definitely can see it (when the bus isn't in the way). That's how I first saw it.

I was thinking of the east bound motorists...

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Do motorists approaching Hebden Bridge from the east really need this sign at Fallingroyd Tunnel?

(The canal is on the right, and crosses beneath the road behind the sign). 

20180716_160914.jpg.a0846cb127de5cba98e23a8a1ae32c62.jpg

I would actually say that sign probably breaks Highways signage regulations and should be removed as it distracts from the road.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

I would say yes it is. It is angled towards what looks like a cycle path and away from the road (There is also a warning to motorists about cyclists crossing).

It looks to me as if it has nothing to do with the road.

3 hours ago, MJG said:

I would say yes it is. It is angled towards what looks like a cycle path and away from the road (There is also a warning to motorists about cyclists crossing).

It looks to me as if it has nothing to do with the road.

That 'cycle path' is in fact the towpath, as the tunnel has no towpath.  The sign is completely pointless, and should be removed. There is already a proper road sign informing motorists that they are entering Hebden Bridge. 

8 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

That 'cycle path' is in fact the towpath, as the tunnel has no towpath.  The sign is completely pointless, and should be removed. There is already a proper road sign informing motorists that they are entering Hebden Bridge. 

Which often double up as cycle paths do they not?  But ok then I still maintain its not for motorists due to the angle its been placed at. It's obviously aimed at tow path users then rather than purely cyclists.

If it was for motorists it would be on the other side for a start and placed differently.

Does it have any point? Well given it's pretty well established CRT are not just trying to engage with boaters these days but all users of the waterways they I guess would say no, it's not pointless at all.

Edited by MJG

It doesn't matter who it's aimed at. The point is it, along with many other 'new' signs are a waste of valuable resources which could have been directed to more pressing matters. We were told these new signs would be rolled out as the old ones needed replacing. It seems CaRT lied to us! 

At the rate canals are closing it's likely hire boat companies will suffer severely and we boaters won't be able to plan cruises with any certainty. 

They current regime is not fit for purpose.

Edited by Midnight
speeling
  • Greenie 2

42 minutes ago, Midnight said:

It doesn't matter who it's aimed at. The point is it, along with many other 'new' signs are a waste of valuable resources which could have been directed to more pressing matters. We were told these new signs would be rolled out as the old ones needed replacing. It seems CaRT lied to us! 

Nothing new there.  They said EXACTLY the same thing at the last rebranding!

George

14 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Nothing new there.  They said EXACTLY the same thing at the last rebranding!

George

And doubtless will say it again at next years rebranding too. Has someone high up in CaRT got offspring who've just graduated from a graphic design course or something?

Do they need and did they get planning permission?  I seem to recall planning permission is required in order to erect a permanent sign by the highway for the very purpose of not distracting motorists.  I could be wrong though as I usually am ?

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I'm not sure that this has exactly captured the spot - I seem to recall it is quite hard to get Google maps to do this.

Another try, (that will probably be identical!).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7351007,-1.9976574,3a,75y,285.6h,97.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqpE2XJUc28rcCE7Oxs-faw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you do navigate back to the exact spot, it is obvious why a similar sign couldn't be erected on the side of the road where it would be alongside the oncoming traffic - There is a wall there and no space!

30 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I'm not sure that this has exactly captured the spot - I seem to recall it is quite hard to get Google maps to do this.

Another try, (that will probably be identical!).

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7351007,-1.9976574,3a,75y,285.6h,97.1t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sqpE2XJUc28rcCE7Oxs-faw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If you do navigate back to the exact spot, it is obvious why a similar sign couldn't be erected on the side of the road where it would be alongside the oncoming traffic - There is a wall there and no space!

I was pointing out there is already a sign not far away declaring that this is the Rochdale canal

I'm wondering how much outrage there was about that one

Richard

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I was pointing out there is already a sign not far away declaring that this is the Rochdale canal

I'm wondering how much outrage there was about that one

Richard

Or at least there aws when StreetView took their images!

Of course it is possible that has been removed, (or perhaps more likely rebranded?).

Perhaps our "man on the spot" can clarify?

5 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Wouldn't a cyclist taking the trip over the tunnel not know that they were at Hebden Bridge, and on the Rochdale Canal?

Possibly yes. Probably even.