Featured Posts

On 17/07/2018 at 17:46, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've NEVER seen a land electricity charging point on the canals. Where do you mean?

There were 2 on the Chesterfield when we cruised it 6 years ago, both out of use. 

On 17 July 2018 at 12:02, Rick-n-Jo said:

My interpretation of this, and I stress it's only mine, is that if the boat can be propelled by a diesel engine OR an electric motor(a parallel hybrid) then the electric is not the sole means of propulsion.

Our boat has a diesel generator that charges a battery bank. The battery can also be charged by solar or shore power.  The electric drive moves the boat, with or without the generator running (a series hybrid) so the electric is the sole means of propulsion, the Genny is just one possible charging source. On that basis we claim the discount.

So when you buy diesel what split (if any) do you declare? Can of worms opened!

On 17/07/2018 at 17:46, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've NEVER seen a land electricity charging point on the canals. Where do you mean?

There's one at the Red Bull services on the T&M. Never seen anyone plugged into it though.

On 17/07/2018 at 18:03, Alan de Enfield said:

Not uncommon on Rivers tho' (regularly provided at visitors moorings alongside locks on the Trent)

A 16A unit will power a big charger for overnight charging.

And the Broads, but they tend to get used to run the dishwashers etc and not recharge electric boats http://www.broads-authority.gov.uk/boating/facilities/electric-boat-charging-points

On 17/07/2018 at 18:03, Alan de Enfield said:

Not uncommon on Rivers tho' (regularly provided at visitors moorings alongside locks on the Trent)

On the Trent There is shore power on the pontoon at Cromwell and at The Kiln pontoon in Newark .  Lucky indeed to get on those as they are usually occupied.  Have I missed some elsewhere ?

There are shore power bollards at West Stockwith basin but not available to visiting boats unless a permanent moorer allows it.

There is  shore power at Bardney on the Witham. Or there was - it's been a few years since we were there .

Eastwood lock has a couple of electric pillars and they work!

I cant be bothered to reply to most of the posters but at the end of the year will claim my electric only discount. As for diesel, drilling making etc loads of pollution the burning of it even more pollution ? Me I will use the sun to power my boat and feel very happy to collect the discount offered and when you diesel burners cant enter cities because you are gross polluters I will happily cruise in................in silence

On 26/08/2018 at 15:36, pearley said:

There were 2 on the Chesterfield when we cruised it 6 years ago, both out of use. 

If by land electricity charging point he means a standard bollard with a plug, there's a couple in Gloucester Docks, a load in Llangollen, one in Stourport.  There are probably a few more about which I don't know about. 

Ideally, there would be bollards on lots of visitor moorings around the country.  CRT could charge for it and make their money back.  Boaters would be happy because they don't need to run their engines.  Local residents would be spared the noise and pollution.  And the planet would be saved! (assuming the leccy comes from renewables).  My guess as to why this hasn't happened is that CRT are scared that it would encourage a lot more continuous cruisers and they'd lose money on mooring fees.

Either that or they're as stupid as most boaters think they are.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

If by land electricity charging point he means a standard bollard with a plug, there's a couple in Gloucester Docks, a load in Llangollen, one in Stourport.  There are probably a few more about which I don't know about. 

Ideally, there would be bollards on lots of visitor moorings around the country.  CRT could charge for it and make their money back.  Boaters would be happy because they don't need to run their engines.  Local residents would be spared the noise and pollution.  And the planet would be saved! (assuming the leccy comes from renewables).  My guess as to why this hasn't happened is that CRT are scared that it would encourage a lot more continuous cruisers and they'd lose money on mooring fees.

Either that or they're as stupid as most boaters think they are.

The ones on the Chesterfield are marked as specifically for charging electric boats. As they were taped up I don't know whether they had a standard 16 amp sockets. 

CRT would not be allowed to resell electricity at a profit as that would be illegal. The best they could do is charge a registration or supply fee. If all the electricity pillars across the country (pity fully few) were changed to Smart meter/MeterMacs then an annual charge could be levied for running the account. Doubt they would make a profit though. 

Any introduction of more canalside power supplies us likely to be driven by local emission schemes.