Droitwich canal unique barges

Featured Posts

Moored up in droitwich in rain, and went for a wander. In the park there is a rendition of a  seven barge built to take salt. This was apparently by sail, down the seven and out to the ports.

however they make a claim that one of these trows 64 by 14 was sailed to france under exacting conditions ( skippers son tied to the mast etc etc) , with the implication that this was a normal trip ( apart  from the tying to the mast bit)  .

sounds like a mariners tale anybody know for sure?

I was curious to know in what circumstances the Witch Barge was to make the voyage to France. Did the account quote any sources or was it just something passed down the generations that was elaborated upon. Travelling to Cardiff was a challenge in its own right, with the Owner having to negotiate the shoals in the Severn Estuary

21 minutes ago, max's son said:

I don't think this a Wych barge or even in England Dad did say the boats were hauled by tug

wych.JPG.00933e1e72658698aa65a10abf9887f9.JPG

Looks like London to me. Hay was brought round to coast by sailing barge, so could also be carried by towed barges.

It's tempting to think it's London, and it certainly looks like a Thames 'Stackie'. There are two men working 'sweeps' (long oars) from the foredeck in the posted image. Compare:

http://tinyurl.com/ydbsh3jo

Although, from studying the 1937 panoramic riverscape images from London Bridge down to Greenwich, there does not appear a warehouse fitting that exact description, I don't think it can be any further downstream, as there looks to be a bridge (road or rail?) beyond to the left. But look to the fold in the image between the bowsprit lifted near to vertical, and the ladder. Very faintly you can see spires. They are not spires, but the pinnacled columns of Cannon Street railway station:

http://tinyurl.com/yc8hdg7a

Needless to say, the riverside has changed beyond recognition in other respects.