Tv licence dilemna

bastion

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is a song about masturbation. 

Urban myth I'm afraid

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=689

Dave Fenton who wrote the song explained in an interview about the title, “It could have been Portuguese or Lebanese or anything that fitted with that phrase, it’s nothing to do with the Japanese. It’s actually a love song about someone who had lost their girlfriend and was going crazy over it. The title is just all the cliché’s about angst and youth and about turning into something you didn’t expect to.” Early guitarist, Rob Kemp, who left before the band became successful, added, “A lot of David’s lyrics were about failed relationships.” David continued, “There’s this boy sitting in his room with just a photograph of the girl that had just left him and feeling very empty.” He must have had all these emotions going on that he could have felt like he was turning into a different person. This person was obviously so hurt about losing the girl that not only did he want a picture, he wanted a doctor to take an x-ray picture so he could look at her inside as well. Probably going a little bit too far but when in that situation, and most of us have been at some time or other, we do strange things.

Edited by Loddon

Read the first webpage of this thread, and skipped to the end page to see if the 'problem' has been resolved..... now I'm totally confused - guess I'll have to review the other 5 webpages to see how the thread has evolved to comments on this page ?

5 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Read the first webpage of this thread, and skipped to the end page to see if the 'problem' has been resolved..... now I'm totally confused - guess I'll have to review the other 5 webpages to see how the thread has evolved to comments on this page ?

Well as the OP said 25th July may have a few more pages to review to see if the problem been resolved.

16 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Being a bit of cynic, the BBC will need to fill the hole in their budget somehow re Cliff's court case.

Bit of double standards is the BBC, they protected Saville for many years even tho rumours and even a documentary (that was cancelled by the BBC a year before his death) regarding his "lifestyle".

Regardless of whether you think the BBC is the best thing since sliced bread or a load of crap: I believe you need an address in order to purchase a tv licence. If you're 'continually cruising' either using a mailbox or perhaps a relative's address (who probably have a licence) it would appear difficult to get a licence. On that basis it might be best to let sleeping dogs lie and understand that different lifestyle choices bring their own benefits and drawbacks. While a continuous cruiser has to endure getting rid of their toilet waste at close quarters, they benefit from being outside the scope of tv licencing. And council tax of course.   

12 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Bit of double standards is the BBC, they protected Saville for many years even tho rumours and even a documentary (that was cancelled by the BBC a year before his death) regarding his "lifestyle".

Double standards (boo!) or learning from one's mistakes (hoorah!)?

2 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

a continuous cruiser has to endure getting rid of their toilet waste at close quarters,   

How do you think that those of us who are not cc'ers get rid of ours? Frankly, after the first few times it ceases being something to be endured and becomes just part of the daily routine of boating, done but not thought about. 

16 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

As the Licencing Authority now only give you a short window of time to change the address shown on your TV licence or it's invalid, how can you buy a licence for your TV on a boat that is CC'ing?

Visit a Post Office every 14 days?

20 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

As the Licencing Authority now only give you a short window of time to change the address shown on your TV licence or it's invalid, how can you buy a licence for your TV on a boat that is CC'ing?

You still need a license...

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/cs/media-centre/news/view.app?id=1369783539618

With increasing numbers deciding to choose a life on water, TV Licensing is urging boat dwellers to ensure they are correctly licensed to watch TV.

More than a quarter of today’s 33,000 boats moored on UK waterways are used as primary residences as opposed to ten years ago when it was just 10 per cent of 31,000 boats.1

By law, residential boat owners need a TV Licence to watch live television, or catch up TV on BBC iPlayer. This is true no matter what device is used, how the programmes are received, or whether the boat is cruising or moored.

Caroline McCourt, spokesperson for TV Licensing, said:
A life afloat has become an appealing option for many, so it is important boat owners understand the same rules apply when it comes to watching TV. We don’t want anyone to be caught out of their depth if they are found watching live TV, or BBC programmes on iPlayer, on board without a valid licence. If caught, boat owners face prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000.

Beryl McDowall, General Secretary of the Residential Boat Owners’ Association (RBOA), said:

There are many things to consider when taking the plunge and moving to a life on water. These include sorting out a boat licence, surveying costs, safety certificates, as well as insurance. It’s also important boat owners understand all of the legal responsibilities, which include getting a TV Licence if their boat is their main residence – we don’t want anyone to get caught out.

It’s easy to pay for a TV Licence or update details online, using a forwarding address if necessary. There are many ways to spread the cost, including weekly, fortnightly or monthly cash payment plans and direct debit options, which can be set up quickly. You do not need a fixed address to receive your TV Licence, as a licence can be arranged for your boat and sent to you by email.

Canal boat owners should visit tvlicensing.co.uk/info for more information about when a licence is needed.

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

Then again people like Cliff make millions and millions over the years when the beeb play their records and are dead chuffed when they get masses of publicity when they want it but when for once its not the kind of publicity they want they take the same broadcaster to court for invasion of pivacy. Whilst I agree the press have carte blanche and shouldn't publish crap about innocent people I also think Cliff is a bit of a hypocrite innitt.

Edited by mrsmelly

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Then again people like Cliff make millions and millions over the years when the beeb play their records and are dead chuffed when they get masses of publicity when they want it but when for once its not the kind of publicity they want they take the same broadcaster to court for invasion of pivacy. Whilst I agree the press have carte blanche and shouldn't publish crap about innocent people I also think Cliff is a bit of a hypocrite innitt.

I don't like him a lot myself, but calling him a hypocrite for being innocent of the allegations is a bit much!

Have moved on from the moorings where I received the letter. I do get contacted at my land address every 2 years at get asked the same questions about why I do not have a tv. And it is always settled with ' we believe you this time but will review it in 2 years time'

22 minutes ago, bastion said:

Have moved on from the moorings where I received the letter. I do get contacted at my land address every 2 years at get asked the same questions about why I do not have a tv. And it is always settled with ' we believe you this time but will review it in 2 years time'

You don’t have to tell them you don’t have a TV to settle anything, just put the letter in the bin or on the stove when they review in 2 years time.

24 minutes ago, Robbo said:

You don’t have to tell them you don’t have a TV to settle anything, just put the letter in the bin or on the stove when they review in 2 years time.

I do as it is my sons address and do not want him to get involved if they start wanting to turn up at 'my address'

14 minutes ago, bastion said:

I do as it is my sons address and do not want him to get involved if they start wanting to turn up at 'my address'

If it’s your sons address why are you getting hassled for a TV license?

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

If it’s your sons address why are you getting hassled for a TV license?

Because I had one for my boat, but did not renew it when I ditched the tv as I never watched it, prefer the radio instead. So I am still on file after about 5 yrs

2 minutes ago, bastion said:

Because I had one for my boat, but did not renew it when I ditched the tv as I never watched it, prefer the radio instead. So I am still on file after about 5 yrs

I would still ignore the letters.  I presume your son has a TV and license?  If so if they turn up he just shows him his license!  If they ask for you he says he doesn’t live here.

He does not watch tv either so no licence. Funny myself and 2 sons do not have or watch tv and my ex and daughter watch all the tv they can and have hours of recorded programmes waiting to watch.

Being rather ancient I just applied for a free license on line, selecting ships as the reason for wanting a correspondence address.   I had to put the marina postcode into both boxes as it refused to move on with a French postcode.   At least I got an email saying I had applied, so hopefully they will email the license when they get round to it.

This FOI request response may be of interest...

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/400543/response/976292/attach/3/RFI20170552 Response.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

By way of background, I should explain that a separate licence to watch or record TV on a boat is not required provided a licence is held at the user's primary address. However, if the boat is the primary place of residence a TV Licence is required if you install or use television receiving equipment to watch or record television programmes as they are being shown on TV or live on an online TV service, and to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer.

Where a vehicle is the primary place of residence and that vehicle is static or has a semi-permanent location, such as a boat with a mooring address, TV Licensing will use that fixed site address to communicate with the licence holder. If the vehicle is mobile with no fixed correspondence address, TV Licensing will seek a forwarding address from the licence holder for the purpose of communicating with them. If the licence holder is unable to provide a forwarding address, TV Licensing will set up an e-licence until such time as one could be supplied.

Edited by Robbo

Whilst I generally agree with the financing of the BBC so that I don't have to suffer endless adverts for stuff that I don't want, but the method needs to be brought up to this century since the method currently used really belongs to the middle of the last century. The situation I have is that I live on the boat and my daughter lives in my postal address owned by me. She has bought a licence so that she can legitimately watch TV at the land based address, the licence is in her name. If I want to watch something on I-Player I am allegedly supposed to have a licence but since my postal address already has one licence registered to it and it is not a house of multiple occupation how would one be able to buy another licence to cover the same address and myself whilst on the boat? It is farcical. A far more effective method would be to be able to buy an internet only licence for which you could log on to your I-Player account to watch broadcasts. I wouldn't have thought it beyond the wit of those responsible for such things to make the log on only available from one ISP address (to prevent a licence buyer passing log on details to all their friends/relatives to all log on and watch at no further cost). I'd be quite content to pay for access to BBC broadcasts but, quite frankly, I cannot be bothered with trying to find a means of complying with their ancient system so now, if asked, I'm on a 'long' holiday on my boat and watching I-Player on the licence at my postal address. if Crapita want to make an issue of it, I'll be quite content to see them in Court.

All of the enthusiasm shown for BBC radio stations isn't actually that relevant since I don't need any licence to listen to any of the stations, whether on the internet or on FM (DAB being a failing technology, rather like Beta video players, on its way out before it even came in:unsure:).