Tv licence dilemna

bastion

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Athy said:

I see what you mean. But do they ever in fact come round? I think that I have only once seen a TV detector van, and that was well over 20 years ago.

They do come round.

Back in the day when I had no TV, and was feeling bloody minded, I ignored all the letters that I had no duty to respond to.

In due course, they turned up, and I declined to let them in.

"If you don't let us in, we will get a warrant"

"OK, that's fine"

"Do you use a TV"

"Goodbye, see you when you get the warrant"

They never returned.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Laurie.Booth said:

The TV licence is well worth the money.

Completely disagree " The unique way we are funded " Cows droppings!! Its beyond antiquated and they should pay their way like the rest of us and the independent channels do.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But none of the boat stuff shown or in the FAQs applies to liveaboard use - it is all as a 'second home', 'Holiday usage' etc.

Who'd want to live on a boat ???????

As a primary residence surely your boat needs a TV licence (if you have / watch TV)

That is what I would expect yes, if it is your owner residence you are clearly supposed to have a licence, but for leisure use it is covered by the licence at you main residence.

57 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Completely disagree " The unique way we are funded " Cows droppings!! Its beyond antiquated and they should pay their way like the rest of us and the independent channels do.

What, and descend to their level? Heaven forfend.

So, are the licences which you have to buy for your boat and (if you have one) your car "beyond antiquated", and if so, in what way?

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

So, are the licences which you have to buy for your boat and (if you have one) your car "beyond antiquated", and if so, in what way?

Why doesn't Channel4 get any of the license money?

5 minutes ago, Athy said:

Because it is a commercial station which gets its revenue from paid advertising.

It's a state owned public service.   A bit like the BBC.   If Channel 4 can be funded from advertising and sponsorship why can't the BBC?

Edited by Robbo

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

It's a state owned public service.   A bit like the BBC.   If Channel 4 can be funded from advertising and sponsorship why can't the BBC?

You would presume that it could be.  Personally I like the fact it is commercial free, so am ok with paying the licence, it not a lot really.  It would be good if a better system could be used though, so those that don’t watch broadcast TV are not impacted by the nonsense.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I see what you mean. But do they ever in fact come round? I think that I have only once seen a TV detector van, and that was well over 20 years ago.

I think in this thread I've said 3 times now "Check YouTube and the videos of Capita trying it on"

So here are the links ……..

Follow this to find over 7000 examples

As for detector vans, the smart money these days is on it all having been Hans Christian Anderson.  clicky about TV Detector Vans

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You would presume that it could be.  Personally I like the fact it is commercial free, so am ok with paying the licence, it not a lot really.  It would be good if a better system could be used though, so those that don’t watch broadcast TV are not impacted by the nonsense.

I like the fact that NowTV and Netflix is commercial free.   I have the choice tho if I wish to subscribe to these tho.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

The difference of course being that the tv licence money goes to the beeb. Other tv channels abound and some are very good and get non of the " Unique way we are funded " licence money. Its not 1512 or whenever we only had the Beeb those days are long gone its just another cost fobbed off on us when others provide a similar service without the " Unique " payment.

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The difference of course being that the tv licence money goes to the beeb.

Yes, that is what makes the BBC unique, and we should be thankful that it is so.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes, that is what makes the BBC unique, and we should be thankful that it is so.

Well that's one opinion to which you are entitled. If you like being mugged over by yet another bill when tv companies in general support themselves and one doesn't then good luck to you. I don't and think they should self support as others do and indeed as most individuals have to.

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

No, it was established as the second commercial channel and was sometimes known as "ITV2" in its early days. Most of its money comes from adverts. It is thus a commercial stauion, and thank God it is - I don't want my licence fee funding 'Big Brother' and other such lowest-common-denominator tripe.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

Channel 4 is unique as well, they are bound by similar conditions so why do BBC get funded by the licence and not C4?

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Well that's one opinion to which you are entitled. 

Yes, and firmly held. Lest we forget, BBC also operates several excellent and in some cases unique radio stations, none of which is sullied by intrusive advertising. It is not just A Good Thing, it is a Very Good Thing.

4 hours ago, mayalld said:

They do come round.

Back in the day when I had no TV, and was feeling bloody minded, I ignored all the letters that I had no duty to respond to.

In due course, they turned up, and I declined to let them in.

"If you don't let us in, we will get a warrant"

"OK, that's fine"

"Do you use a TV"

"Goodbye, see you when you get the warrant"

They never returned.

This kind of incident proves that the TV detector van doesn't/ didnt exist. You had no TV and they came knocking. A TV detector van would have saved them the hassle.

Yes, they had TV enforcement people, but these just went to houses not paying for a licence hoping to see a TV or scare someone into paying. 

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

No, it was established as the second commercial channel and was sometimes known as "ITV2" in its early days. Most of its money comes from adverts. It is thus a commercial stauion, and thank God it is - I don't want my licence fee funding 'Big Brother' and other such lowest-common-denominator tripe.

Channel 4 is a state owned public channel just like the BBC and is bound by certain criteria of programming just like the BBC, the only difference is the source of funding.  There is equal amounts of tripe on the BBC.

Edited by Robbo
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Thank goodness.

In answer, again, to your question, BECAUSE IT HAS COMMERCIAL ADVERTISING. Surely you had noticed.

Yes and it is public owned just like the BBC, so why can’t the BBC have adverts to fund itself just like Channel4.

Edited by Robbo

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

Yes and it is public owned just like the BBC, so why can’t the BBC have adverts to fund itself just like Channel4.

It could have. But then it would need to pursue advertising revenue and that is related to viewing figures. And thus the programme style would become entirely populist trash, just like much of the content on ITV.

If you have ever watched Tv in any other country you would realise just how great the BBC is.

• Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It could have. But then it would need to pursue advertising revenue and that is related to viewing figures. And thus the programme style would become entirely populist trash, just like much of the content on ITV.

If you have ever watched Tv in any other country you would realise just how great the BBC is.

The BBC is no more unique than Channel4, and I would say channel 4 is probably better in covering its remit than the BBC is nowadays.  BBC is now more trash TV rating based just as much as the commercial channels.