Tv licence dilemna

bastion

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I thought the law had changed, and not having a tv licence is now a civil offence, and not a criminal offence.

It's not an offence at all, unless you watch a T.V.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Same address as you tell CRT when applying for a license, I would imagine.

But I believe you have to give the address of the premises where the TV is, not simply a contact address (which probably already has its own TV licence anyway).

There is a "grey area" which, I would think, affects many boaters (and caravanners). You have a T.V. licence at home. One of your tellies is a portable model, so when you visit your boat or caravan you take it with you and watch it. When you go home, you take it back with you. I think that your home licence covers you for such viewing, but I am not sure.

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

There is a "grey area" which, I would think, affects many boaters (and caravanners). You have a T.V. licence at home. One of your tellies is a portable model, so when you visit your boat or caravan you take it with you and watch it. When you go home, you take it back with you. I think that your home licence covers you for such viewing, but I am not sure.

I understood (unless the rules have changed) that you are covered as long as there is no one left in the house so 2 televisions cannot be in use in two different locations at the same time.

Two TV's used concurrently in the same location is OK (I think the maximum is 5, after which you need a different licence)

Obviously Liveaboards do not have that 'loop-hole'

11 hours ago, bastion said:

Got back to my boat today to find a letter delivered by hand from the TV licence authority. Basically it warned me that I could be watching tv illegally and that I was to make my premises available for inspection from the 25th July. My problem is that I am on a 2 day visitor mooring, have already overstayed due to mechanical problems,  have told Crt, so if I move and the tv people can't find me will I be in trouble with them or if I stay I will be in trouble with CRT. I do not have a tv nor do I watch tv online so have no worries about the licence. Who has the higher authority Crt or the tv licence people?

Its quite simple. If you don't go fishing you don't need a rod licence. If you don't drive you don't need a driving licence etc etc. Completely ignore it why waste your time on some numpty TV outfit trying scare tactics.

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I understood (unless the rules have changed) that you are covered as long as there is no one left in the house so 2 televisions cannot be in use in two different locations at the same time.

Two TV's used concurrently in the same location is OK (I think the maximum is 5, after which you need a different licence)

Thanks for that clarification, which is in line with my understanding of the rules.

No, obviously they don't, but I raised the point because it probably affects a greater number of boaters.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That is the situation for static caravans.  It is different for touring caravans and boats, where there is no restriction about not using at the licenced premises at the same time.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

To watch a TV on your boat covered by your home TV license you are required to send in a declaration stating that only one TV will be in use at a time:

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ30

2 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

To watch a TV on your boat covered by your home TV license you are required to send in a declaration stating that only one TV will be in use at a time:

...although that section of the rules does not specifically mention boats.

9 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Again, I believe that relates to static caravans, not touring caravans or boats.

chwck this page http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/for-your-home/second-home-aud8 and expand the section "You don't a separate TV licence for"

12 hours ago, bastion said:

Letter is in the bin already. It is a light hearted post about who is the highest authority.

There, there, my son - four hail marys and abstain from the demon drink for a week and you'll be forgiven...

TVlicensing.co.,uk say:

You'll need to buy a TV Licence for your static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet if:

• anyone, at the same time, is watching or recording live TV on any channel or watching or downloading BBC programmes on iPlayer at your main licensed address
  • the caravan or mobile home is your main residence

So I agree they probably class touring caravans as mobile chalets/mobile homes.   It would also seem odd knowing how keen they are on collecting money if they didn't consider boats as a "mobile" home i.e. a place to live as opposed to the "mobile home" tag often given to motor caravans/camper van type vehicles.

34 minutes ago, Jerra said:

TVlicensing.co.,uk say:

You'll need to buy a TV Licence for your static caravan, mobile home or moveable chalet if:

• anyone, at the same time, is watching or recording live TV on any channel or watching or downloading BBC programmes on iPlayer at your main licensed address
  • the caravan or mobile home is your main residence

So I agree they probably class touring caravans as mobile chalets/mobile homes.   It would also seem odd knowing how keen they are on collecting money if they didn't consider boats as a "mobile" home i.e. a place to live as opposed to the "mobile home" tag often given to motor caravans/camper van type vehicles.

Why don't you just look at the section on boats rather than static caravans!!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Why don't you just look at the section on boats rather than static caravans!!!!!!!

But none of the boat stuff shown or in the FAQs applies to liveaboard use - it is all as a 'second home', 'Holiday usage' etc.

Who'd want to live on a boat ???????

As a primary residence surely your boat needs a TV licence (if you have / watch TV)

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But none of the boat stuff shown or in the FAQs applies to liveaboard use - it is all as a 'second home', 'Holiday usage' etc.

Who'd want to live on a boat ???????

As a primary residence surely your boat needs a TV licence (if you have / watch TV)

Basically, much as TV Licencing don't believe that anybody doesn't watch TV, they don't believe that anybody lives on a boat.

Actually, if you look at it more closely, all the categories where you may or may not need a licence are moveable, but not mobile. They cannot be instantly moved.

All the "no licence required" are instantly moveable.

I suspect that the only way to get an answer is to press TVL on the point.

13 hours ago, Athy said:

or probabilityIt's not an offence at all, unless you watch a T.V.

The Capita pdf says: -

2.1 Installing or using a television receiver without a licence contrary to Section 363(2) and (4) of the Communications Act 2003. 

Which is why YouTube is full of people videoing having to allow Capita and The Police into their property and Capita arguing "You've unplugged the aerial, it's there on the floor beneath the socket/ yes I know your 80" TV and home cinema outfit is capable of showing DVDs, it's also wi-fi and your pc over there can stream live tv to it ….. have a summons!"

Yes they lie

Yes it's a very contentious subject

Yes Capita are an ineffective bunch of unscrupulous target driven income based scaremongers

However: -

They won't go away because they haven't seen you sitting in front of your tv watching live broadcasts, they'll do you for Installing apparatus that can and will even risk a day in court for a set up that could be retuned or plugged in so you could.

Don't forget that criminal law depends upon evidence to prove guilt.  Civil law doesn't, it only relies on the likelihood or probability.

There are documented cases where an individual wasn't charged for murder due to lack of evidence and then the parents of the victim opened a civil case against him which led to him being convicted on probability. He later appealed and lost. 

Edited by zenataomm
Dog has just entered to be admired after having rolled in icky poo

15 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

The Capita pdf says: -

2.1 Installing or using a television receiver without a licence contrary to Section 363(2) and (4) of the Communications Act 2003. 

Then it is unnecessarily wordy. If you can be done for just installing this equipment, then they don't need to mention using it.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Then it is unnecessarily wordy. If you can be done for just installing this equipment, then they don't need to mention using it.

It's a catch-all.

The person who uses a TV isn't necessarily the one who is using it.

So, if they come in and catch me watching a TV without a licence, I can't get off by saying "Ah, but I didn't install it"

Likewise, if the come round and get evidence that the TV was set up for use, but nobody was actually using it, they can get somebody on the installing front.

5 minutes ago, mayalld said:

It's a catch-all.

The person who uses a TV isn't necessarily the one who is using it.

So, if they come in and catch me watching a TV without a licence, I can't get off by saying "Ah, but I didn't install it"

Likewise, if the come round and get evidence that the TV was set up for use, but nobody was actually using it, they can get somebody on the installing front.

I see what you mean. But do they ever in fact come round? I think that I have only once seen a TV detector van, and that was well over 20 years ago.