Jacobyte

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

mwaa, wt s an ilk?

ilk
ɪlk/
noun
noun: ilk
  1. a type of person or thing similar to one already referred to.
    "the veiled suggestions that reporters of his ilk seem to be so good at"

In modern use, ilk is used in phrases such as of his ilk, of that ilk, to mean 'type' or 'sort.' The use arose out of a misunderstanding of the earlier, Scottish use in the phrase of that ilk, where it means 'of the same name or place.' For this reason, some traditionalists regard the modern use as incorrect.

The OP may be advised to check his insurance terms and conditions too. I've had a look at mine and they require that I hold a licence for the "relevant navigation authority". Now I'm not sure whether "not applicable" would apply in the case of a private marina but, if it was my boat, I'd want it clarified.

5 hours ago, Jerra said:

As they manage access to the canal the T & C is perfectly reasonable by your own admission.

And as you well know, I didn't encourage not having a licence to navigate the canal. Different ball game, once in the marina. Neither the marina management or CRT can use the statutory power of enforcement.

Things are the way they are, and the marina has the right to ask you to leave, if you do not follow their terms and conditions. it is not statutory power, though.

If this really isn't a problem and forcing boaters to have an unnecessary licence is valid, it should be no problem for CRT to remove the section in the NAA that requires marinas to oblige in the enforcement process.

Edited by Higgs

5 hours ago, MJG said:

There's one part way up the Atherstone flight.

Near to where the wcml crosses. I can't recall the name.

Baddesley, home of Barry Hawkins when trading.

Whatever an ilk is, I want to be one too, so's I'm like the rest of you.

3 hours ago, Higgs said:

Things are the way they are, and the marina has the right to ask you to leave, if you do not follow their terms and conditions. it is not statutory power, though.

I think you will find contracts and so T & Cs are controlled by statute therefor the situation is perfectly legal.  If you object to having a licence choose one of the marinas where you don't need one.

I would liken the situation to the TV licence.  If you have the required equipment you need a licence in case you use it at sometime.  In most marinas you need a licence in case you decide to pop out with the boat.

Can you suggest any other cost effective way of ensuring everyone who leaves the marina even for an hour has a licence?

12 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Can you suggest any other cost effective way of ensuring everyone who leaves the marina even for an hour has a licence?

Barrier at the marina entrance with a swipe-card & RFID machine that Deducts £100 off your debit card unless it detects a licence (with in-built RFID Chip) in your window ?

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I think you will find contracts and so T & Cs are controlled by statute therefor the situation is perfectly legal.  If you object to having a licence choose one of the marinas where you don't need one.

I would liken the situation to the TV licence.  If you have the required equipment you need a licence in case you use it at sometime.  In most marinas you need a licence in case you decide to pop out with the boat.

You don't need a TV license just for owning the equipment, you only need one if you actually use it to watch live TV.

57 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Barrier at the marina entrance with a swipe-card & RFID machine that Deducts £100 off your debit card unless it detects a licence (with in-built RFID Chip) in your window ?

That will be as cost effective as the current system?   Last time such technology was discussed most of the forum were up in arms at the potential for somebody being able to track where they were/had been.

54 minutes ago, Rob VP said:

You don't need a TV license just for owning the equipment, you only need one if you actually use it to watch live TV.

I think you will find that possession of the equipment assumes you will use it and so they insist you need a licence.  It may not be spelled out exactly like that in law but the assumption by the "powers that be" is that everyone who has a TV watches it.

26 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Last time such technology was discussed most of the forum were up in arms at the potential for somebody being able to track where they were/had been.

And the 'old answer' - "if you've nothing to hide what's the problem ?"

Does anyone really think that they are not being monitored much of the time ?

Your phone can be tracked,

The British Security Industry Authority (BSIA) estimated there are now up to 5.9 million closed-circuit television cameras in the country

Your car number plate is being scanned numerous times a day

Your credit / debit card history shows where you have been, what you have purchased

Loyalty cards ……………..

etc etc etc

Its the world we live in and the penalty we pay for technology.

Image result for how many cctv cameras in uk

Edited by Alan de Enfield

27 minutes ago, Jerra said:

That will be as cost effective as the current system?   Last time such technology was discussed most of the forum were up in arms at the potential for somebody being able to track where they were/had been.

I think you will find that possession of the equipment assumes you will use it and so they insist you need a licence.  It may not be spelled out exactly like that in law but the assumption by the "powers that be" is that everyone who has a TV watches it.

I'm sorry but you are incorrect. You can read about it on the TV licensing website to understand better.

Edited by Rob VP

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And the 'old answer' - "if you've nothing to hide what's the problem ?"

Does anyone really think that they are not being monitored much of the time ?

Your phone can be tracked,

There are (now) over 5,000,000 CCTV cameras in the UK

Your car number plate is being scanned numerous times a day

Your credit / debit card history shows where you have been, what you have purchased

Loyalty cards ……………..

etc etc etc

Its the world we live in and the penalty we pay for technology.

Image result for how many cctv cameras in uk

And for many Facebook etc users this and far more they happily present to the world.........

• Greenie 1