Mooring in Marina unlicenced

Jacobyte

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Higgs always jumps  in to these posts, I expect he thinks societal rules are for other people,  

I was quoting you! 

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Higgs always jumps  in to these posts, I expect he thinks societal rules are for other people,  

I'm actually quite reserved. This has nothing to do with "societal" rules. It has to do with forcing people to buy a product they don't need, before they can have the service of a marina, or more to the point, to allow the marina to keep running its business.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

I'm actually quite reserved. This has nothing to do with "societal" rules. It has to do with forcing people to buy a product they don't need, before they can have the service of a marina, or more to the point, to allow the marina to keep running its business.

I think you will find every business has to pay for services they don't use, its called running a business".

I don't use motorways, or buses in E&W, but I think I contribute. 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think you will find every business has to pay for services they don't use, its called running a business".

No, the moorers are paying for a service they don't use, if they only intend to stay in the marina. And not only that, while on private property, for which they do pay to use.  

Edited by Higgs

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

No, the moorers are paying for a service they don't use, if they only intend to stay in the marina. And not only that, while on private property, for which they do pay to use.  

Wrong.

Moorers are using the water supplied into the marina and kept topped up by the CRT connection to the cut. Its perfectly reasonable for moorers in the marina to have to buy a licence. 

• Greenie 3

6 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't use motorways, or buses in E&W, but I think I contribute. 

So it's really a case of  'I have to pay so you have to also'  and a polite enquiry about possible money savings is met with hostility.  Thankfully they got some decent advice, despite you! 

36 minutes ago, Higgs said:

CRT cannot enforce inside a private marina.

This is also demonstrably wrong.

CRT enforce licences in a marina by the T&Cs CRT impose on the marina owner in return for allowing marina access to the canal. 

Whether of not this is fair can be argued, but it is a matter of FACT this is how enforcement currently works.  Just so the OP isn't misled by Higgs' incorrect assertions about this, CRT can and do enforce inside the majority of private marinas.

There are a number of older marinas without an access agreement (NAA), listed previously in this thread. I'd add Ashwood Marina to the list. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Wrong.

Moorers are using the water supplied into the marina and kept topped up by the CRT connection to the cut. Its perfectly reasonable for moorers in the marina to have to buy a licence. 

Hello, member of the flat earth society. It isn't reasonable at all to pay for a licence that does not also give access to the service you are paying for. Consider the 9% of the mooring fee, which could be classed as a business overhead, but it is something the moorers also cough up, which the marina pass onto CRT as an access fee. Why, the boaters already have a licence, how can they be required to buy access. You don't need access if a marina is CRT jurisdiction, which off course it isn't, therefore - no licence required.

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

CRT enforce licences in a marina by the T&Cs CRT impose on the marina owner in return for allowing marina access to the canal. 

That is not law.

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Hello, member of the flat earth society. It isn't reasonable at all to pay for a licence that does not also give access to the service you are paying for. Consider the 9% of the mooring fee, which could be classed as a business overhead, but it is something the moorers also cough up, which the marina pass onto CRT as an access fee. Why, the boaters already have a licence, how can they be required to buy access. You don't need access if a marina is CRT jurisdiction, which off course it isn't, therefore - no licence required.

That is not law.

It is how things work on the canals. You can argue all you like it shouldn't be like that, but it is.

Please stop telling people they don't need a licence to moor in a marina. You are wrong in the vast majority of marinas. Exceptions listed in this thread. 

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It is how things work on the canals. You can argue all you like it shouldn't be like that, but it is.

Please stop telling people they don't need a licence to moor in a marina. You are wrong in the vast majority of marinas. Exceptions listed in this thread. 

I'm not simply arguing that it shouldn't be like that, I'm telling you it also unethical, and an abuse of power.

I will only add - you need a licence to use the waterway that CRT manage.

Edited by Higgs

Just now, Higgs said:

I'm not simply arguing that it shouldn't be like that, I'm telling you it also unethical, and an abuse of power.

You are the only one who seems to think this. 

You think it is unethical and n abuse of power, I think it is unethical of YOU to attempt to mislead new boaters into a course of action that will result in them losing their marina mooring.

One day you may be proved right by a judicial review, should a boater ever decide to make an issue of this. Perhaps it will be you, but I doubt it. You make a lot of noise over this but are all talk and no action. 

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You are the only one who seems to think this. 

I think you may find that amongst the conservatives here, but alas, there is a world out there of similar thinking. I'm not the only one. And, I also see this as an opportunity to bring choice into the equation. Something that is lacking.

Edited by Higgs
  • Greenie 1

Just now, Winn said:

So it's really a case of  'I have to pay so you have to also'  and a polite enquiry about possible money savings is met with hostility.  Thankfully they got some decent advice, despite you! 

Pretty much par for the course on this forum especially now the "ilks" are back.

47 minutes ago, Winn said:

This is a first, I am  HOSTILE :)

Trying to be helpful and return to topic.

The old Stink 'ole on the lower Grand Union (Maple Lodge) is part of the River Colne and comes under the control of Thames Water.  Consequently no C&RT licence is required to be there, I seem to remember parking at Springwell Lock and abandoning your car while you walked umpty miles with your gear down the towpath  was a bit of a pain.

Talking of "a bit of a pain" you were wondering what Shardlow has too offer (sic).  I used to live in Shardlow and on average 3 times a year the Trent floods to the point that one year the boats stored ashore on cradles were refloated.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Whether of not this is fair can be argued, but it is a matter of FACT this is how enforcement currently works.  Just so the OP isn't misled by Higgs' incorrect assertions about this, CRT can and do enforce inside the majority of private marinas.

There are a number of older marinas without an access agreement (NAA), listed previously in this thread. I'd add Ashwood Marina to the list. 

But you can just go bust and not pay in some marinas but stay there and use a different name for your business cant you? ?

• Haha 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

But you can just go bust and not pay in some marinas but stay there and use a different name for your business cant you? ?

Nooooo, that could never happen!

You can however, collect the extra 9% Higgs is raging about from all your moorers and spend in on new Range Rovers, posh house etc instead of handing it over to CRT. This is fine, apparently. 

P.S. Are YOU one of those 'ilks'? :giggles:

• Greenie 1