Mooring in Marina unlicenced

Jacobyte

Featured Posts

Hello, I would like to know, if I moored unlicensed in a marina for a period of time (winter) could I be fined for it, I have been looking in to it and found this on Waterways World

You will still need a cruising licence when you're moored in the marina - well, usually. This is stipulated in the 'Connection Agreement' that the marina signs with the navigation authority, as part of which the marina hands over a cut of your mooring fee. A few marinas (no more than 20 or 30 across the CRT system), however, have their own connections which can't be stopped up, or pre-date these agreements. If moored in one of these, you might be able to save a little money by buying short-term licences whenever you venture out.

how do I find these Marina's it mentions above ?

10 minutes ago, Jacobyte said:

Hello, I would like to know, if I moored unlicensed in a marina for a period of time (winter) could I be fined for it, I have been looking in to it and found this on Waterways World

You will still need a cruising licence when you're moored in the marina - well, usually. This is stipulated in the 'Connection Agreement' that the marina signs with the navigation authority, as part of which the marina hands over a cut of your mooring fee. A few marinas (no more than 20 or 30 across the CRT system), however, have their own connections which can't be stopped up, or pre-date these agreements. If moored in one of these, you might be able to save a little money by buying short-term licences whenever you venture out.

how do I find these Marina's it mentions above ?

iirc Wilton is one.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

NOT a Chance

BWML = C&RT

Anywhere where C&RT have control or any influence a licence is required.

Well I have seen boats moored in there that are not licenced and 2 or 3 years out of date

12 minutes ago, Jacobyte said:

Well I have seen boats moored in there that are not licenced and 2 or 3 years out of date

I moored at sawley for several years and trust me they are on your case the minute your license is close and your b.s.c. and insurance for that matter

Rick

1 minute ago, dccruiser said:

I moored at sawley for several years and trust me they are on your case the minute your license is close and your b.s.c. and insurance for that matter

Rick

Ok, won't be mooring there then, doesn't meet my requirements lol, thanks.

6 minutes ago, Jacobyte said:

Well there not displaying it on there boats, I guess CRT could check boat reg numbers to find out

C&RT have said on a number of occasions that there is no need to display the licence as the 'Enforcement Officers' simply check the computer with the reg number.

C&RT visit BWML marinas weekly for licence checking.

If you so wish (and want to be a curtain twitcher) there is a link on the C&RT website where you can enter the reg number of any boat you consider to be un-licenced and it will tell you if they are licenced.

6 minutes ago, Jacobyte said:

Is there any Marina's up north, near West Yorkshire, that don't require a licence when moored with them ?

Why don't you just call & ask any marinas that are in the area that you want to be in ?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT have said on a number of occasions that there is no need to display the licence as the 'Enforcement Officers' simply check the computer with the reg number.

C&RT visit BWML marinas weekly for licence checking.

If you so wish (and want to be a curtain twitcher) there is a link on the C&RT website where you can enter the reg number of any boat you consider to be un-licenced and it will tell you if they are licenced.

Ok thanks.

5 minutes ago, Jacobyte said:

Shardlow Marina looks great, will be checking out and see what they got too offer, Thanks Rick

Why do you want to avoid paying a licence?

why buy a boat?

CRT cannot enforce inside a private marina. They give the marina owners an earache, and the marina points you to the marina's terms and conditions. It is part of the NAA (Network Access Agreement), the contract between the marina and CRT, that marinas act as a third party agent to ensure boats have up to date licences. In a scratch each other's back process.  

Edited by Higgs

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

CRT cannot enforce inside a private marina. They give the marina owners an earache, and the marina points you to the marina's terms and conditions. It is part of the NAA (Network Access Agreement), the contract between the marina and CRT, that marinas act as a third party agent to ensure boats have up to date licences. In a scratch each other's back process.  

yeah, well there are always those who want a free ride, 

I think you give me earache.....................

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Why do you want to avoid paying a licence?

why buy a boat?

Perhaps because they would like to live on a boat and also save money. Why so judgemental and with such an abrupt personal comment?  

4 minutes ago, LadyG said:

well, best to buy a tent.

and now a nasty smartass comment...hmm.

1 minute ago, Winn said:

Perhaps because they would like to live on a boat and also save money. Why so judgemental and with such an abrupt personal comment?  

Higgs always jumps  in to these posts, I expect he thinks societal rules are for other people,