oxford canal closed!!

purplehaze

Featured Posts

Friday at 2pm there was a wall of water about a foot high cascading over the locks here at Claydon. Levels have now receded and this morning BW have been along and re-opened Claydon flight. Napton should also be open. South of Banbury is chaotic but at least the towpath has re-appeared here and at Cropredy.

Good morning

Further update from me, more follows when available:

Monday 23 July 2007

Southern Oxford Canal, Oxfordshire

Widespread flooding over the weekend on the Oxford Summit including the districts of Napton, Claydon and Banbury forced British Waterways to close the Oxford Canal between Napton and Banbury for a time.

The canal at these locations has now been re-opened, but BW is asking anyone thinking of moving a boat anywhere on the Oxford Canal to think seriously about whether their journey is absolutely necessary. Jeff Whyatt explains: “There is still a significant amount of water entering the Oxford Canal between Napton and Banbury, and with more heavy rain forecast over the coming days, and ground conditions waterlogged, it is very likely that this section of the Oxford Canal will quickly become impassable again.”

The Oxford Canal south of Banbury has been closed until further notice. This section of canal shares much of its course with the neighbouring River Cherwell, and with large amounts of water already moving down the canal from further north, conditions for navigating boats and towpath walking are too dangerous at the current time.

Further updates will be issued when available.

Braunston Tunnel update, Northamptonshire

The Grand Union Canal between the bottom of Braunston Lock Flight and Norton Junction (with the Leicester Line of the Grand Union Canal) remains closed until Tuesday 24 July at this time.

A landslip on the non-towpath side between the tunnel entrance and Braunston Lock Flight remains of concern to BW engineers. The stability of the embankment on the towpath side of the waterway at the same location is also of concern. Engineers are on site today (Monday 23 July) and will be assessing the condition of both structures.

Two culverts at the Braunston side of the tunnel are damaged, affecting the towpath. The same situation exists on the Daventry side of the tunnel, where one culvert has been damaged, affecting the towpath.

Jeff Whyatt, General Manager for South East Waterways, says: “We’re doing all that we can and as quickly as possible given the extreme conditions faced by our engineers. The exceptional rainfall over the last 72 hours means that our assessment of the condition of these earth structures needs to be meticulous. As soon as we have further information we will let everyone know, including local hire boat bases who have holiday makers stranded because of this necessary closure of the waterway.”

Take care. Eugene.

Good morning

Further update from me, more follows when available:

Monday 23 July 2007

Southern Oxford Canal, Oxfordshire

Widespread flooding over the weekend on the Oxford Summit including the districts of Napton, Claydon and Banbury forced British Waterways to close the Oxford Canal between Napton and Banbury for a time.

The canal at these locations has now been re-opened, but BW is asking anyone thinking of moving a boat anywhere on the Oxford Canal to think seriously about whether their journey is absolutely necessary. Jeff Whyatt explains: “There is still a significant amount of water entering the Oxford Canal between Napton and Banbury, and with more heavy rain forecast over the coming days, and ground conditions waterlogged, it is very likely that this section of the Oxford Canal will quickly become impassable again.”

The Oxford Canal south of Banbury has been closed until further notice. This section of canal shares much of its course with the neighbouring River Cherwell, and with large amounts of water already moving down the canal from further north, conditions for navigating boats and towpath walking are too dangerous at the current time.

Further updates will be issued when available.

Take care. Eugene.

Eugene, can you or anyone else tell me what conditions are like to the North? Currently sitting in Banbury town center heading for the K & A which is clearly not going to happen so considering turning round and heading north for the summer eg. Staffs & Worcester, Shroppie, BCN, Caldon etc etc. Are these canals all fine or am I likely to get caught in more stoppages there?

Regards,

Andy

Eugene, can you or anyone else tell me what conditions are like to the North? Currently sitting in Banbury town center heading for the K & A which is clearly not going to happen so considering turning round and heading north for the summer eg. Staffs & Worcester, Shroppie, BCN, Caldon etc etc. Are these canals all fine or am I likely to get caught in more stoppages there?

Regards,

Andy

Hi Andy,

This from Waterscape: looks OK.

selection of stoppages

And from IWA:

Flooding

Sorry we won't see you this way. Maybe next year!

Andy

Sorry I'm a little behind at the moment, under somewhat of a deluge for some peculiar reason!

John's advice is good, and your intention of not going south onto the Thames is also sound reasoning. Hope you enjoy the northern network, although I'm not going to guarantee that the rest of the summer is going to be a sizzler.

Best wishes, Eugene

Hi

Just to say that the Southern Oxford is open from Banbury to Anyho Weir lock, but that's where it stops because of the Cherwell's high levels.

Navigation is then open again below Anyho to Baker's Lock, just past the Rock of Gibraltar pub. The Cherwell then makes a re-entrance into the canal and navigation is closed. Thrupp to Oxford remains open, but the Thames is out of bounds for very apparent reasons.

Eugene

Thanks all - now sitting just above Fenny Compton heading north! The K & A will have to wait 'till 2008 to be conquered by Khayamanzi!

I think Eugene is to be applauded at this very busy time for making the effort to 'mingle' and communicate with boaters through this forum.

S'funny, I thought that was what he was paid for?

That and about 10,000 other things (especially at the moment!).

What's wrong with praising a bunch of people for doing what they are paid for - and much more? I can't be the only one who likes to be thanked when he does his job well.

For goodness sake ... words fail me ... :)

Ian

edited fro speeeling

Edited by Machpoint005

There was a time when people in this country thanked others even when they were 'only doing what they are paid for'.

Now go into any shop and watch. Customers take their change without so much as making eye contact with the sales assistant. She looks bored & grumpy (who wouldn't being treated that way every day). And if challenged the customer would say 'well, she's only doing what she is paid for'.

I guess I'm getting old but I find it so depressing that this is what we've come to. :)

So let me also say thank you to Eugene. Much appreciated. :)

:) slightly as this is the stoppages forum.

I only ever did my job (not quit true) and was often thanked, like my colleagues, it just made it all the more worthwhile.

Eugenes job is communication but he could do that through just the media, the fact that he bothers to come on to this forum should be praised.

Hi all

Just doing my job...... :)

I hear the Oxford is now fully open as of this morning. Mind you, with the current weather forecasts, it would be wise to proceed with caution since the fields around the Cherwell are soaked through and it won't take much of the wet stuff to lift the river levels again.

Eugene

What a thoroughly useless and unpleasant comment. What value did that add to the thread?

:)

Hold on!! Uneccessary perhaps, but it was not unpleasant, after all it is part of Eugene's job to keep all BW users informed about a wide range of issues, and I am sure that he would agree that his involvement in this forum is as much in BW's interest as it is ours.

Having said that I agree that people who perform their paid duties with enthusasm and energy should be thanked. It is called appreciation. (and that is from someone who does not always agree with Eugene)

Edited by David Schweizer

:)

Hold on!! Uneccessary perhaps, but it was not unpleasant, after all it is part of Eugene's job to keep all BW users informed about a wide range of issues, and I am sure that he would agree that his involvement in this forum is as much in BW's interest as it is ours.

Having said that I agree that people who perform their paid duties with enthusasm and energy should be thanked. It is called appreciation. (and that is from someone who does not always agree with Eugene)

David. In my view it was unpleasant. Sorry if you don't agree. There are too many posts on internet forums that have absolutely no value are just plain negative.

Edited by MasterDabber