Life Jackets

Noggin

Featured Posts

Going on River Nene in August - decided that life jackets are a good idea for rivers - don't wear one on the cut - any recommendations - they will only be worn once in a blue moon

20 minutes ago, Noggin said:

Going on River Nene in August - decided that life jackets are a good idea for rivers - don't wear one on the cut - any recommendations - they will only be worn once in a blue moon

Why would you not wear one on the cut ?

Surely you are jut as likely to knock your head / knock yourself out falling off the boat / lock into 3 foot of water as you are in 3 metres of water.

Unconscious, face down in 6" of water and you are soon dead.

Gosh! thats cheerful! - ok point taken - when bought, will do in future - did'nt need it when I fell in the Oxford summit tho - did ruin trousers & shoes - mud was deeper than the water!

Just now, Noggin said:

Gosh! thats cheerful! - ok point taken - when bought, will do in future - did'nt need it when I fell in the Oxford summit tho - did ruin trousers & shoes - mud was deeper than the water!

OK - in all seriousness

1) Buy a new one, don't go for 2nd hand 'good condition' off ebay, Gumtree etc. They should be serviced annually and you don't know how the previous owner has stored them.

2) Buy an 'automatic' one (if you fall in unconscious it self inflates and turns you face up)

3) Buy one with a crutch strap (they can slide off over your head otherwise)

DO NOT but a floatation jacket, the difference is that a flotation jacket assists with flotation when canoeing, water skiing etc but assumes you are conscious, the fact that most of the buoyancy is on the back means that you float face down - to be called a lifejacket it must turn you face up within a few seconds.

I would suggest that you go for a minimum rating of 150 newton (that suits most adults) I boat in the Winter with thick clothing and have negative buoyancy (which was good when diving, but a PIA when trying to swim) so I have a 275 newton Life Jacket.

A 150-175 auto life jacket with crutch strap can be had for around the £60 mark. These tend to be a bit 'stiff' and not comfortable if worn for long periods - pay £100 and get a nice 'soft' comfortable one. 

34 minutes ago, Noggin said:

Thanks for your advice Alan

Regards

Nick

I,m slightly unless by your comment that you May only wear it once in a blue moon. The time when you do wear it may be the difference between death and staying alive, so get one that you are confident to wear as reliable and safe. ??

Howard

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

OK - in all seriousness

1) Buy a new one, don't go for 2nd hand 'good condition' off ebay, Gumtree etc. They should be serviced annually and you don't know how the previous owner has stored them.

2) Buy an 'automatic' one (if you fall in unconscious it self inflates and turns you face up)

3) Buy one with a crutch strap (they can slide off over your head otherwise)

DO NOT but a floatation jacket, the difference is that a flotation jacket assists with flotation when canoeing, water skiing etc but assumes you are conscious, the fact that most of the buoyancy is on the back means that you float face down - to be called a lifejacket it must turn you face up within a few seconds.

I would suggest that you go for a minimum rating of 150 newton (that suits most adults) I boat in the Winter with thick clothing and have negative buoyancy (which was good when diving, but a PIA when trying to swim) so I have a 275 newton Life Jacket.

A 150-175 auto life jacket with crutch strap can be had for around the £60 mark. These tend to be a bit 'stiff' and not comfortable if worn for long periods - pay £100 and get a nice 'soft' comfortable one. 

This is very good advice.

I wear mine most of the time when I am single handing on rivers, and in particular in the winter. After a while it's a bit like a seat belt - you notice when you are not wearing it. If properly adjusted it really doesn't get in the way much.

I'll post this again and I make no apology for doing so. The reason you need a crotch strap. I see a lot of CRT personnel, during my volunteering activities, wearing life jackets and no crotch strap.. It's up to them but when I'm around the locks and such I wear my own life jacket with a crotch strap.