Noggin

Featured Posts

Always a little nervous venturing onto rivers for first time - my 57ft has an Isuzu 35hp - it was ok (although I'd have liked a little more oomph) against the flow on the Avon - assuming normal river levels, can someone put my mind at rest concerning the Nene from Gayton to Peterborough?   Also any recommendations (kit, moorings, pubs or anything else) would be welcome.

Assuming at normal summer levels I would say the Nene is easier than the Avon.  You will not have a problem power wise, we have similar powered engine although on a 50ft boat.

Moorings are a problem on the Nene, I joined FOTRN to use their moorings well worth it, and I think they have more of them now.

The best of the river is downstream of Wellingborough, so if you are not loving it initially stick with it.

Just before Peterborough there is Ferry Meadows country park, there is an access channel from the river and that takes you into a big lake and there are visitor mooring pontoons on the opposite side of the lake, 24 hours I think.  Even if you don't want to stop overnight it is worth going in for a blast round the lake.

It's a  lovely river. I would say that you need to approach it with a slightly different mindset, in particular re moorings.   

Over generalising a bit: on most canals you can if you want just decide at 6pm that you've had enough, and you'll find somewhere OK within the next 30 mins. On rivers I would plan ahead more, and indeed start early and expect to be moored up in time for tea and cake.  Also, don't expect nice piled banks with mooring rings etc., and remember that most banks are privately owned and not like canal towpaths.

Here's a good guide. http://noproblem.org.uk/blog/nene/   Pearsons  have recently produced a guide, and there is also one from Imrays.

You will need one (or more) Abloy keys to operate the Nene locks (mostly electrified now), and a EA (or gold) licence of course.   

• Greenie 1

There are six or is it four guillotine locks which are handwound - doesn't sound bad, except that you have to grip a large wheel to turn it. Can be tiring.

If you like to do some research rather than 'just go' then the Imray book on the nene and 'the river nene a pictorial history' are well worth buying Amazon has copies for not very much money.

If you just go with only a basic map - as we did on our first visit, you'll miss a helluva lot. The good bits are not always visible from the river.

• Greenie 1