Low voltage from inverter

OllyO

Featured Posts

Hi, I’m having some problems with my room sealed boiler not firing and thus has led me to look at my electrical system.

Thd boiler (morco compact electronic 11ltr) requires 240v to fire.

I can only get a max of 14.1v on my multimeter when set to 200~ (ac).  

When I run it off the geny I get 110v on the multimeter.

Surely both should be 230/240v or am I testing something wrong?

The boiler is at the end of a ring main and all sockets are testing the same so do not believe it to be voltage drop or fault in wiring.

Measure the output of the Inverter and the Generator without any load on them. If their outputs are correct around 230 V AC then something is pulling down the outputs. Switch on each AC item until you identify the cause.

Ken

It’s a pure sine wave Stirling electronics inverter.  All readings taken are without load so are the actual recorded output of inverter/geny.

I’ll change multimeter battery and borrow a mates for comparison.  It does seem to be very odd.

If the inverter has no load, is it in standby? I would always use an old fashioned 40w bulb to give some load on an invertor or generator when making measurements.

Richard

Edited by Ryeland

I did mean something to give a resistive load, a charger could be anything, probably a switch mode power supply. When investigating problems you need some knowns, and a working light bulb or heater is simple enough to give you a starting point. The light bulb will even give you a visual signal! Has to be a filament type though not compact fluorescent or LED.

Richard

14 hours ago, OllyO said:

I’ll change multimeter battery and borrow a mates for comparison.  It does seem to be very odd.

My money is on your system being fine and the meter battery being flat. A DVM with a flat battery still appears to work but gives odd results just like this, in my long experience of using them professionally.