Notice Alert

Macclesfield Canal
Starts At: Bridge 26, Sugar Lane Bridge
Ends At: Bridge 27, Kerridge Road Bridge

Sunday 15 July 2018 12:45 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction 
Reason: Structure failure

Update on 16/07/2018:

Our Engineers have now completed their investigations.  We are in the process of starting to carry out repairs needed to re-open the canal. As part of these repairs, we need to completely de-water the canal and carry out a fish rescue which will take place tomorrow.  Our contractor will then start an emergency repair to allow the canal to re-opened. While the canal is dewatered our engineers will take the opportunity to plan a permanent solution to be carried out at a later date.

We will provide a further update on Thursday 19th July.

26 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Amazing how as before (i believe) leak is travelling from one side under canal and out the other onto the sports ground .

It'd have a job going out just on that side - that building behind is on the up side of a steep hill. :)

14 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

This just in:

Notice Alert

Macclesfield Canal
Starts At: Bridge 26, Sugar Lane Bridge
Ends At: Bridge 27, Kerridge Road Bridge

Sunday 15 July 2018 12:45 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction 
Reason: Structure failure

Update on 16/07/2018:

Our Engineers have now completed their investigations.  We are in the process of starting to carry out repairs needed to re-open the canal. As part of these repairs, we need to completely de-water the canal and carry out a fish rescue which will take place tomorrow.  Our contractor will then start an emergency repair to allow the canal to re-opened. While the canal is dewatered our engineers will take the opportunity to plan a permanent solution to be carried out at a later date.

We will provide a further update on Thursday 19th July.

On the one hand, I'm actually quite encouraged by the prospect of them carrying out an emergency repair, because we are planning on going that way soon.

On the other, the last time we were here, the first emergency repair failed within a couple of days, so we could be there again.

The bigger picture though is that we had this last year and the year before with emergency repairs that weren't followed up by a permanent repair over the winter.

CRT are serially doing the minimum possible patching up then not following up with a proper repair.

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

It'd have a job going out just on that side - that building behind is on the up side of a steep hill. :)

and to the right of it is a steep road downwards

23 minutes ago, b0atman said:

and to the right of it is a steep road downwards

What is a considerable worry is that as the water is exiting at one side and emerging at the other, it is scouring under the invert, and this brings a huge risk of a breach.

• Greenie 1

How do they fix it properly? I presume dig out hole and refill with rubble, clay?

Why not fix it permanently while drained and get it done once and right. CRT really do need in house repair teams and local knowledge of previous workers who can be called in on jobs in their area.

James:o

Edited by canals are us?

12 hours ago, canals are us? said:

How do they fix it properly? I presume dig out hole and refill with rubble, clay?

Why not fix it permanently while drained and get it done once and right. CRT really do need in house repair teams and local knowledge of previous workers who can be called in on jobs in their area.

Ram loads of puddle clay into the hole .However this needs a serious seeing to which will not happen because then CRT will say but its not leaking now ,So temporary becomes permanent until the next time.

1 hour ago, b0atman said:

Ram loads of puddle clay into the hole .However this needs a serious seeing to which will not happen because then CRT will say but its not leaking now ,So temporary becomes permanent until the next time.

So what part of

While the canal is dewatered our engineers will take the opportunity to plan a permanent solution to be carried out at a later date.

didn't you read?

11 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

So what part of

didn't you read?

I read all of it.

They will plan a permanent solution to be carried out at "a later date".

This winter, they will say "It's OK for now, we will look to do it next winter". Next Summer it will leak again, and they will make a temporary repair, and next winter they won't do the permanent repair, because the temporary repair is holding. This will continue until it breaches (because they are patching an increasingly destabilised embankment), and the plans that they have for a permanent repair will be a waste of effort, because they will need a new plan.

This is the THIRD year running that they have had to put stop planks in there, and the third year running that they have done running repairs;

2016: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/8033/macclesfield-canal-between-bridges-26-and-27

2017: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/11063/macclesfield-canal-between-bridges-26-and-27

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, canals are us? said:

Basically, a temporary repair involves fixing the immediate canal bed with clay. It is a sticking plaster.

A permanent repair recognises that the clay is failing because it isn't supported from below. Some of the material (that isn't itself) waterproof that supports the waterproof clay layer has been washed away, and that is letting the clay fail.

How you fix it is to replace the underlying rubble and smaller stone etc, by digging a long way into the embankment, and adding new stone (there is something of a science around interlocking stone by using appropriate sizes), then relining.

That is VERY expensive (pretty much as expensive as fixing a breach).

It may be possible to dig out less spoil, and stabilise the embankment by pressure grouting (basically pumping in a cement slurry that will fill all the voids and cavities deep within the embankment).

Whichever way, its a big, protracted, job, and a job that you don't want to be doing when loads of people want to go boating

• Greenie 1

The refilling has to be done slowly to check fix has worked and also I do not want to sit on bottom at Bugsworth ?. Water is going through Whaley Bridge Transhipment warehouse at a good rate and is at point of trickling over side weir.

4 hours ago, b0atman said:

The refilling has to be done slowly to check fix has worked and also I do not want to sit on bottom at Bugsworth ?. Water is going through Whaley Bridge Transhipment warehouse at a good rate and is at point of trickling over side weir.

I notice that the promised update on the stoppage notice didn't happen.

Do they really not understand that if you say you will update on a particular day, you should update on that day (even if you only say, we are still working on it and will update in 2 days

1 hour ago, mayalld said:

I notice that the promised update on the stoppage notice didn't happen.

Do they really not understand that if you say you will update on a particular day, you should update on that day (even if you only say, we are still working on it and will update in 2 days

Yes, I noticed that but it's surprising because they're usually pretty good at that.

3 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

update has now been issued. The canal is open following repair 

Oddly enough, it looks like they have completely deleted the stoppage notice now.

I can see the 2016 and 2017 notices, but not this year's

Are they perhaps deleting the evidence that they said they would effect a permanent repair eventually?

• Greenie 1