What is this wire please....

Featured Posts

I’m currently labelling all the wires and pipes in my engine hole and am not sure what this one does... (black with blue crimped ring terminal)

It connects into the fuel distribution system at one end and travels through the wiring loom and disappears into the back the the main control panel (which I’m yet to remove). 

Thanks

David

51696047-C978-41C0-9EAD-3848FE36CC70.jpeg

Hard to say for sure but I would guess that, since it’s connected to the injector pump, it’s probably something to do with the engine start/stop control. Some engines have an “energise to stop” solenoid, normally there is a separate button to stop the engine. Some have an “energise to run” solenoid - with those, normally you stop the engine simply by switching the “ignition” off. Of course on some engines, you stop them by pulling a mechanical cable with a knob on the end so if yours is like that, that wire won’t be the engine stop!

24 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

Thank you all. As Tony says, it is a DV36, so I shall label it Stop Solenoid :)

First, test it by disconnecting it and starting the engine, then trying to stop it. If it won’t stop until you reconnect the wire, you’ve proved Tony is right. 

22 hours ago, BEngo said:

All proper marine engines are energise to stop.  That way an electrical failure does not cause an engine shut down in the middle of the oggin.

N

Known to the early Troglodytes as fail safe? Comes from using the proper kit for the job

21 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

First, test it by disconnecting it and starting the engine, then trying to stop it. If it won’t stop until you reconnect the wire, you’ve proved Tony is right. 

Tony is right - I know because each time the yard takes the boat for blacking they return it to the pontoon leaving the battery master switches turned on and the ignition is the "stop" position. Result - very flat engine batteries. I am just relieved it did not burn the solenoid out.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

Tony is right - I know because each time the yard takes the boat for blacking they return it to the pontoon leaving the battery master switches turned on and the ignition is the "stop" position. Result - very flat engine batteries. I am just relieved it did not burn the solenoid out.

I know you're right, I said it so the OP can satisfy himself you are right, and anyone else reading this who is wondering which way around their own stop solenoid works.