Slow Down!! "I Can't!!"

Richard10002

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

From a previous thread a long time ago, I thought the ones the Army use are square with a hole at each corner to take a big pin and a loop in the centre to attach the winch to.

4 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

From a previous thread a long time ago, I thought the ones the Army use are square with a hole at each corner to take a big pin and a loop in the centre to attach the winch to.

Never saw that type. The ones I used were a seriously heavy duty length of angle drilled with a number of large holes, through which you drove a number of long spikes.  A "D" shackle was attached to one end to fasten the winching hawser to.  From memory there were probably half a dozen of these fastened to the front bumper of the 6 x 6 recovery truck I drove.

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

Expensive, but looks like one would be easily fabricated to work with the pins we already have.

Like I said, piece of angle with holes bored in it.  The advantage being that the pins go in at 90 degrees to one another, never saw one pull out in firm ground.

5 minutes ago, NB Esk said:

Like I said, piece of angle with holes bored in it.  The advantage being that the pins go in at 90 degrees to one another, never saw one pull out in firm ground.

I have a L shaped mooring pin like the one in the photo which I use to a similar affect as I use another pin through the hole of the L shaped pin..

7FD0A1D2-8CF9-4129-ACBD-356B5F8DCAE2.jpeg

Edited by Robbo

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

No nothing like that, its more like a curved spade with a hinged socket at the back that you slide a bar in that has a shackle on to attach your rope, a bit like a spade anchor on boats.

Neil

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Never felt the need myself, but I have seen people using screw in pins like the ones used to secure items of plant from theft.

George

I have a couple of the screw-in type. I have never used them.

I bought them as a way of driving in mooring pins - mainly for overnight mooring when there was no need to get off the boat

The idea was to make a bracket to fit the end of the boat pole that held the spiral pins so they could be screwed into the distant bank whilst still on the boat, and similarly unscrewed when leaving.

It came about when cruising the Thames some years ago when there seemed to be plenty of places to moor if there was no need to get off boat (other than to hammer the pins in).

We have not been back since, so the idea bit the dust - (or mud perhaps)!

5 hours ago, Robbo said:

I have a L shaped mooring pin like the one in the photo

That IS a ronde anchor, as I mentioned in post 50. I think it would work brilliantly in soft ground if a dirty great big big arrowhead-shaped tip was welded to the little point on it. 

55 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That IS a ronde anchor, as I mentioned in post 50. I think it would work brilliantly in soft ground if a dirty great big big arrowhead-shaped tip was welded to the little point on it. 

Is that how it is spelt, looking for another and a google doesn’t come up with owlt.

4 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Perhaps surprisingly, there were worse. Anyone remember Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop? Stuff of nightmares.

You forget Archie Andrews and his puppet master (Peter Brough?)

A RADIO ventriloquist who was rather stuffed when TV came along!

George

7 hours ago, furnessvale said:

George

Some of his stuff is repeated on Radio4 Extra.

8 hours ago, furnessvale said:

George

Yup, that was quite a concept. :D

Should we include Harry Corbett and the Sooty Show? One was mute, one squeaked and the others had someone else's voice!