Can you help id this engine?..

Pastseeker

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Pastseeker said:

Can anybody help to identify this engine please i believe its of perkins origin,  not sure of the model/type?

Thanks

Jim

Have you had a good look at the sides of the engine block. There are often identifiers cast into the block that may give a clue. Can you see a plate or a flat area with the engine number stamped on it?

The air inlet looks as if it might have a pneumatic governor on the injection pump and if so it is probably pre about 1965. Possibly a P4. Habe a look at this, much seems similar except the air intake is where yours has a blanking plate on the manifold. Best view towards the end.

PS - if I am right about the governor DO NOT go messing with the pipes connected to the air intake/venturi with the engine running. Letting air into those pipes can cause the engine to run away or at least run at maximum revs.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Thanks that helps alot. The seller was unsure of type of engine and me neither, he has said the engine needs replacing/rebuiding as seized. I'm guessing a another replacement engine is required do to avability of parts?..

Jim

Edited by Pastseeker

Don't be so sure. Best ask DiPerk. http://www.diperk.co.uk

Fitting a different engine and gearbox may not be very straight forward. It may mean modifications  involving welding and cutting 1/4" steel plates.

Just Googled Perkins P4 parts and lots of hits.You can get a complete overhaul kit including liners and pistons for around £300

Edited by Tony Brooks

10 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Don't be so sure. Best ask DiPerk. http://www.diperk.co.uk

Fitting a different engine and gearbox may not be very straight forward. It may mean modifications  involving welding and cutting 1/4" steel plates.

Just Googled Perkins P4 parts and lots of hits.You can get a complete overhaul kit including liners and pistons for around £300

I don't know a lot about these engines, but used to know a bit more about the P3, which I suspect is largely the 3 cylinder variant of the 4-cylinder P4.

If the two engines have similarities, then there may well be two different cubic capacities possible for a P4, (the P3 came as a P3.144 initially but later became a P3.152).

It used to be the case many moons ago that parts for the P3.144 were much harder than for the P3.152, so if there is a similar conundrum with P4s, it might be worth trying to work out exactly what you have, (perhaps from an engine number on it somewhere)?

Thanks again Alan, a quick browse on the net good amount of spares available ☺ 

So I'm thinking a rebuild would be a better option and make economic sense?..  

What sort of money to have someone total rebuild the engine?..

Jim

Edited by Pastseeker

1 hour ago, Pastseeker said:

What sort of money to have someone total rebuild the engine?..

A lot depends on whether the engine can be dismantled in the boat or needs to be removed and taken complete to a workshop. Removal and refitting costs will be in addition to rebuilding costs. 

The reason for it being seized will have a big bearing on rebuild costs too. I’d say the range of possibilities cost-wise lies between about £3k and £7k, assuming you are employing others to do everything. 

9 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

I am always a bit sceptical with these type of adverts - I wonder if you phone up to make an appointment you get the "I've been messed about so now I want a deposit before I'll take you for a viewing" or "No sorry cannot do this Sunday, how about next Sunday ?"

It appears to be a very strange shape - from the pictures (the one with the life ring) it appears to taper in as it goes forwards.

I'm guessing it has some age to it.

How apt :

Please appreciate the price, because is really barging price. 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am always a bit sceptical with these type of adverts - I wonder if you phone up to make an appointment you get the "I've been messed about so now I want a deposit before I'll take you for a viewing" or "No sorry cannot do this Sunday, how about next Sunday ?"

The reason for no pics of the inside, along with the really low price and the tight restriction on viewing times is the boat is moored on the towpath and probably doesn't belong to the 'seller'.

The 'seller' has sussed that the owner is never there on a sunday, and is hoping someone will just give him the money. I wonder how many times he has sold this boat so far!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
interfering spell check

4 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That Ebay add would make me run a mile. If it looks to good to be true etc. I don't like the standard of English used in the add. Too much like "Polish Lady etc for my taste.

I would add to Allans last comment - Why?

The eBay seller is rawson716, who I seem to recall was also the seller of those rather strange boats that East Europe Lady got so excited about on here.