List of Markets in canal-side towns?

JB Segal

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a list of market days in canal-side towns that would be easy for me to get to, should I happen to be in the right place at the right time.

I'm particularly interested in the Grand Union from Tring, to the Oxford around Cropredy, but a general list would be excellent.

My Pearson guide listed one in the text of one page, and I haven't caught any in my Collins, but without an index and without a map icon, even the textual entry is of limited use, as I don't remember where it was.

Thanks very much!

So you are needing a regular supply of …….

1. Roll up papers and watch batteries
  2. Fly blown catalogue returns with bashed boxes
  3. Dirty plastic bowls each containing two apples a banana and an orange for a £1
  4. Non branded trainers without boxes, made by 4 years olds in The Philippines.
  5. Miscellaneous tubes and bottles of makeup, of indiscernible colours, sporting names you've never heard of, heaped in a pile on the table. 
  6. Used ice cream and margarine boxes with hand written labels claiming contents like Meat Passananja & Rice or Chicken Galoog with Banana.  All whipped up in somebody's home kitchen without the knowledge of the local authority food hygiene officer and distinctly lacking in detailed ingredients or allergy listings.

Or at least that's what you'll be offered if you make the effort to avail yourself of the opportunities presented in Rugby Town Market Monday, Friday and Saturday from 8.30am to 4pm.

Alternatively you can always walk the four miles round trip from Clifton Cruisers to the market square on the last Thursday of every month except December, when apparently it's rumoured they hold a Farmers' Market.  However I've never seen it.

• Happy 1

11 hours ago, zenataomm said:

So you are needing a regular supply of …….

1. Roll up papers and watch batteries
  2. Fly blown catalogue returns with bashed boxes
  3. Dirty plastic bowls each containing two apples a banana and an orange for a £1
  4. Non branded trainers without boxes, made by 4 years olds in The Philippines.
  5. Miscellaneous tubes and bottles of makeup, of indiscernible colours, sporting names you've never heard of, heaped in a pile on the table. 
  6. Used ice cream and margarine boxes with hand written labels claiming contents like Meat Passananja & Rice or Chicken Galoog with Banana.  All whipped up in somebody's home kitchen without the knowledge of the local authority food hygiene officer and distinctly lacking in detailed ingredients or allergy listings.

Or at least that's what you'll be offered if you make the effort to avail yourself of the opportunities presented in Rugby Town Market Monday, Friday and Saturday from 8.30am to 4pm.

Not a fan of markets, then?

I always enjoy the bustle, lively atmosphere and - lest we forget - attractive prices of a market. Banbury has one on Thursdays and Saturdays. Downham Market (O.K., on a river rather than a canal) has a Friday market.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Not a fan of markets, then?

I always enjoy the bustle, lively atmosphere and - lest we forget - attractive prices of a market. Banbury has one on Thursdays and Saturdays. Downham Market (O.K., on a river rather than a canal) has a Friday market.

Yes, it was a jaundiced view - such markets are in decline, leaving the better ones to survive. Our local one - which was a bit mixed in quality - was turned into a Waitrose.

Oxford has  thriving market(s) - different ranges on different days, but in the same place. Some stalls are good; others not so - you have to rely on your own judgement and not the buyer in a supermarkets remote office.

The management has bought 'rocks' and oriental scarves from the Oxford market and has been pleased with her purchases - but takes care in her selections... 

One of the best markets we've been to is Newark. I quite like browsing through the tool stall and the railway memorabilia is good too. They also have an open air auction sale periodically on the old Cattle Market site. The time I visited you could have bought an ammunition box withe all sorts of unrecognisable goodies/junk inside or a job lot of lawn mowers. 

If you find yourself way to the Great Ouse then St. Ives Market is almost as good. 

Edited by pearley

I didn't say I was not a fan of markets, I merely described what the one in Rugby is like.

Having said that I was a fan of The Common Market …. but not the ECSC that preceded it nor the EEC or EU that followed.  Easily the worst market of all, even worse than Rugby's has to be anything with a Co-op sign hanging on the wall.

When it comes to mismanagement and questionable morals that's a whole different story.

Paul Flowers Co-op Chairman

35 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I didn't say I was not a fan of markets, I merely described what the one in Rugby is like.

Having said that I was a fan of The Common Market …. but not the ECSC that preceded it nor the EEC or EU that followed.  Easily the worst market of all, even worse than Rugby's has to be anything with a Co-op sign hanging on the wall.

When it comes to mismanagement and questionable morals that's a whole different story.

Paul Flowers Co-op Chairman

And the Co-Op don't even pay some of their staff the minimum wage.

:(

I was a market trader for over 30 years (garden plants).  Glad I got out when I did, as it was very hard work, and the prices of my gear seem to be about the same now as when I stopped 10 years ago, with far fewer punters around - many of the markets I see on my travels on the boat are obviously only just clinging on.  There can't be much in it for traders now.

On the G.U Southern stretch you have;

Aylesbury general market - Wednesday, Friday and Saturday (9am – 4pm)

Aylesbury Vintage & Craft Bazaar - Tuesday (9am – 2pm)

Aylesbury Foodie Friday Market - every Friday (9am – 4pm)

_______

Tring has a weekly Friday Charter Market and a fortnightly Farmers Market also on a Friday.

________

https://www.leightonbuzzardmarket.co.uk/

________

Milton Keynes Open Market

The open market is situated on the outside of centre:mk, near door 10. If you require further information, please contact the organisers on 01908 668 810.

These are the opening days:

Monday Closed
Tuesday General market
Wednesday Closed
Thursday General market
Friday General market
Saturday General market
Sunday Small General market

Hemel Hempstead general market

There is currently a general market on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays between 8am and 4pm in the Marlowes pedestrian area, Hemel Hempstead.

Hemel Old Town market

A monthly market held on the first Sunday of each month in the picturesque High Street of the Old Town, Hemel Hempstead, between 11am and 3pm. With a mixture of fresh produce, local crafts, handmade, unique and bespoke items, there's something for everyone.