Large (6 3/4") mushroom vents?

FluffMagnet

Featured Posts

Just now, FluffMagnet said:

Yeah, and I appreciate the suggestion! Here's a dimensional diagram of the "Athos" model:

ATHOS1_1.jpg

Looking at the diagram I would say that you could remove the knoband possibly fix in the open position using lock nuts. You would need to see one first however to see if that was workable, I have done similar with conventional mushroom vents. 

Just now, BWM said:

Looking at the diagram I would say that you could remove the knoband possibly fix in the open position using lock nuts. You would need to see one first however to see if that was workable, I have done similar with conventional mushroom vents. 

Yes. I think so too. It's definitely an option, though the idea of spending 6 x £60 only to discard much of what makes them so expensive (I also have no need for the liner) is a bit of a turn-off.

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

At the risk of being flamed -

I question the real need for fans everywhere?

Fine - in the loo and kitchen area where they can be switched on as needed. That's what I did  - but they're quite noisy. If you run them slow, they aren't very effective.

If the ventilation in the boat is reasonable to good( we have drop back vents and opening sections in our bus windows) then natural convection is good enough.

Of course if your 'windows' are portholes - then that's another story....

All my windows are portholes but it's not another story. I have a 12v Manrose Extract-a-light fan under a mushroom vent in the bathroom and another one installed in the cabin side above the hob in the galley, with an aluminium rain shield on the outside. Apart from that I just have another 3 ordinary brass mushroom vents (without fans) and lower level door vents at the bow and stem and my ventilation is fine even with the portholes closed. 

IMG_20180714_141843.jpg

Edited by blackrose

11 minutes ago, blackrose said:

All my windows are portholes but it's not another story. I have a 12v Manrose Extract-a-light fan under a mushroom vent in the bathroom and another one installed in the cabin side above the hob in the galley, with an aluminium rain shield on the outside. Apart from that I just have another 3 ordinary brass mushroom vents (without fans) and lower level door vents at the bow and stem and my ventilation is fine even with the portholes closed. 

AH - that's very interesting - at least you've got portholes that opened. When I built, such things weren't generally available - so went for bus windows instead.

For this thread, I was trying to understand why the OP wanted to have forced air for ventilation rather than opening a window (or porthole) which is what ordinary mortals do, especially when electrical power may be a limited resource.

But I got slapped down...  (sniff)

5 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I got slapped down...  (sniff)

Aww. I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry if it came across as a "slap down". It just happens to be a classic forum bully tactic to hijack genuine questions and make the thread about something completely different that they feel more comfortable having an argument about. Which is one reason I rarely share more information than necessary when posting; I know what I post will be examined in great detail by Internet know-it-alls, eager to spot some error (or spelling mistake) that they can point to and shout "look, you're doing it all wrong!". I guess it makes them feel really important and stuff. In any case, the resulting argument is never worth my time, so I hope you don't mind me refraining from being drawn into one.

Now if anyone has any further suggestions for boat roof vents with a ~120mm internal diameter, I'm all ears eyes!

___________    ____                                           
    ______/   \__//   \__/____\                             
  _/   \_/  :           //____\\                             
 /|      :  :  ..      /        \                         
| |     ::     ::      \        /                             
| |     :|     ||     \ \______/                               
| |     ||     ||      |\  /  |                                     
 \|     ||     ||      |   / | \     
  |     ||     ||      |  / /_\ \ 
  | ___ || ___ ||      | /  /    \    
   \_-_/  \_-_/ | ____ |/__/      \   
                _\_--_/    \      /   
               /____             /  
              /     \           /    
              \______\_________/     

Edited by Loddon

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

One thing to be aware of is that as far as BSS (if it applies to you) is concerned any fan fitted in a mushroom vent reduces the vents size by 50% they do not take account of the fact that its a fan and can shift more air than a standard vent.

1 hour ago, FluffMagnet said:

It just happens to be a classic forum bully tactic to hijack genuine questions and make the thread about something completely different that they feel more comfortable having an argument about. Which is one reason I rarely share more information than necessary when posting; I know what I post will be examined in great detail by Internet know-it-alls, eager to spot some error (or spelling mistake) that they can point to and shout "look, you're doing it all wrong!". I guess it makes them feel really important and stuff. In any case, the resulting argument is never worth my time, so I hope you don't mind me refraining from being drawn into one.

• Love 1

15 hours ago, OldGoat said:

AH - that's very interesting - at least you've got portholes that opened. When I built, such things weren't generally available - so went for bus windows instead.

When was that then? My boat was built in 2005. I didn't realise portholes that open was a new thing? I'm sure I've seen them on boats much older than mine and they looked like the original windows to me, but I could be wrong. 

13 hours ago, FluffMagnet said:

Aww. I didn't mean it like that. I'm sorry if it came across as a "slap down". It just happens to be a classic forum bully tactic to hijack genuine questions and make the thread about something completely different that they feel more comfortable having an argument about. Which is one reason I rarely share more information than necessary when posting; I know what I post will be examined in great detail by Internet know-it-alls, eager to spot some error (or spelling mistake) that they can point to and shout "look, you're doing it all wrong!". I guess it makes them feel really important and stuff. In any case, the resulting argument is never worth my time, so I hope you don't mind me refraining from being drawn into one.

Now if anyone has any further suggestions for boat roof vents with a ~120mm internal diameter, I'm all ears eyes!

Ah - I take your point. Perhaps I'm too sensitive, or am more used to fora  where most folk behave in a gentlemanly manner. Quite often 'we' answer questions posed with a wide range of possible interpretations - only to find that the originator had a much narrower problem - making our answers valueless, or even facile.

However, thanks for your apology - gratefully received.

Now, a thought on 120mm vents. I'm assuming these are what I would term as 'cow pat' ventilators. Designed for caravans and chrome plated (often badly), they are anathema to 'proper' narrowboaters - but times have changed. My only serious comment is that folks on here have complained that in heavy weather, there can be  some water ingress - because the vent holes are only a few mm: from the roof. Worth considering mebe?

10 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

My only serious comment is that folks on here have complained that in heavy weather, there can be  some water ingress - because the vent holes are only a few mm: from the roof. Worth considering mebe?

Which does make you wonder why they are standard fittings on Sea-Going boats ?

(Fluffy need not respond, I am replying to OldGoat))

On my Cruiser :

2x on the foredeck and 2x on the Roof (engine removal hatch)

CAM00012.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which does make you wonder why they are standard fittings on Sea-Going boats ?

(Fluffy need not respond, I am replying to OldGoat))

On my Cruiser :

2x on the foredeck and 2x on the Roof (engine removal hatch)

I wondered that too. Given that there's a right place for everything - I was conditioned that mushroom vents were de-rigeur  (spelling) on a NB and anything chromed were not - so I merely reported what I had seen on here some time ago... (safe in the knowledge that someone would come back).

Chrome plate on a narrowboat - heavens forfend...

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

I wondered that too. Given that there's a right place for everything - I was conditioned that mushroom vents were de-rigeur  (spelling) on a NB and anything chromed were not - so I merely reported what I had seen on here some time ago... (safe in the knowledge that someone would come back).

Chrome plate on a narrowboat - heavens forfend...

Not in my book - I want to go boating, not polish brass vents etc. Very happy with my stainless steel flying saucers that ropes just slide over. Very traditional on hire boats.

• Greenie 2

36 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not in my book - I want to go boating, not polish brass vents etc. Very happy with my stainless steel flying saucers that ropes just slide over. Very traditional on hire boats.

You're right, of course...

It's a (boating) generation thing.....

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick note in case others are in need of these: I have finally been able to order six "large" mushroom vents from Vertex Exports, via Midland Chandlers. £230 inc VAT & shipping for the six, which is pretty good IMO. Less good is the 7-8 week delivery, but that's what you get for knowing what you want.