Hooray it's raining!

rgreg

Featured Posts

Began to rain yesterday at around 17:45, just after we moored above Deptmore Lock on the Staffs & Worcester. Got increasingly heavy and finally stopped around 02:00.

This is how rain should be, only raining after we have finished cruising and raining most of the night.

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Began to rain yesterday at around 17:45, just after we moored above Deptmore Lock on the Staffs & Worcester. Got increasingly heavy and finally stopped around 02:00.

This is how rain should be, only raining after we have finished cruising and raining most of the night.

Harrumph. BBC Weather promised us light rain from 8pm to midnight. Ah, we thought, four hours of steady precipitation, just what the garden needs to slake its thirst.

We waited.

About 8.30, the sky sneezed. Then nothing further.

Back to wielding the hose pipe this morning!

21 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Still raining fairly heavily in Oxford and surroundings. Could do with it, the pounds both above and below Kidlington Green lock were very low. I scraped my bottom. 

One boater (nb Truro) told me Richard Parry was in the area on a College Cruisers hireboat, apparently inspecting offside vegetation (of which there was much in the Wolvercote section). If true, I wonder if they got stuck in those pounds.

The boater on Truro used to own and run Gosty Hill. Just for information.

This rain on Friday evening was all the wrong way round. Quite a bit fell on us near the northern end of the Staffs & Worcs, which wasn't good as the ellum had just popped out on the butty, darkness was approaching and we were struggling to find a mooring. Meanwhile at home in Croydon the drought continued and my fruit and veg suffered.

On 21/07/2018 at 17:41, Athy said:

Harrumph. BBC Weather promised us light rain from 8pm to midnight. Ah, we thought, four hours of steady precipitation, just what the garden needs to slake its thirst.

We waited.

About 8.30, the sky sneezed. Then nothing further.

Back to wielding the hose pipe this morning!

I like that

Thats exactly whats just happened here, certainly not a full on winter flu more a slight sneeze caused by a bit of dust

Hooray it's raining here at last, first time in 8 weeks I think. Proper rain, not just a few drops. I heard some thunder a minute ago too, so maybe this'll be a good downpour.

No, it isn't, it just stopped again after a minute or two, only a brief shower. I just went out to check, I got about 3L off 15 square metres of roof, which works out as 0.2mm of rain. Clearly mrsmelly is not close enough.

6 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Hooray it's raining here at last, first time in 8 weeks I think. Proper rain, not just a few drops. I heard some thunder a minute ago too, so maybe this'll be a good downpour.

No, it isn't, it just stopped again after a minute or two, only a brief shower. I just went out to check, I got about 3L off 15 square metres of roof, which works out as 0.2mm of rain. Clearly mrsmelly is not close enough.

That description sounds very similar to what just happened here at Beale Park on the Thames. Heavy(ish) for a few minutes then light for 5 minutes then sunshine again. 3 hours cruising in the dry then rain (briefly) 10 minutes after mooring for the night.

Flippin brilliant. My cloud has caught up with me here at Thrupp. Its was a foul hot sticky day yesterday and near on 30 degrees in the boat even ventilated fully and curtained off from the sun. Went to bed and its rained quite a lot during the night and at present its 21 degrees in the boat a lovely proper British summer temperature ? Its very windy here so will stay put today.

After my post yesterday afternoon about that little shower, there were some decent showers later on here, I'm only a few miles away from mark99 and maybe got something close to his inch of rain. Looking at that French weather software in the other topic, I guess most of us got some thundery showers yesterday, and it's nice that it's not so hot today; I might venture outdoors this afternoon.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Flippin brilliant. My cloud has caught up with me here at Thrupp. Its was a foul hot sticky day yesterday and near on 30 degrees in the boat even ventilated fully and curtained off from the sun. Went to bed and its rained quite a lot during the night and at present its 21 degrees in the boat a lovely proper British summer temperature ? Its very windy here so will stay put today.

VERY windy at Foxton too staying put till it calms down

51 minutes ago, Peter X said:

After my post yesterday afternoon about that little shower, there were some decent showers later on here, I'm only a few miles away from mark99 and maybe got something close to his inch of rain. Looking at that French weather software in the other topic, I guess most of us got some thundery showers yesterday, and it's nice that it's not so hot today; I might venture outdoors this afternoon.

Actually when measured it was just less than 1/2". Got too excited.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Still in Thrupp Tim ???!!!

We had a very windy 3 hours on the Thames in the Reading area this morning after some heavy overnight rain. Now moored up until Monday due to the "Gusty winds and heavy rain" forecast for tomorrow from the BBC.

5 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Still in Thrupp Tim ???!!!

We had a very windy 3 hours on the Thames in the Reading area this morning after some heavy overnight rain. Now moored up until Monday due to the "Gusty winds and heavy rain" forecast for tomorrow from the BBC.

Weve been to Aynho now back at Thrupp. Off tomoz got one of the grandsprogs onboard for a few days.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Weve been to Aynho now back at Thrupp. Off tomoz got one of the grandsprogs onboard for a few days.

I reckon you secretly love Thrupp!

You were there a night longer than you said you would be and now, little more than a week later, you're back there again.

When you say off tomoz do you mean actually moving? In the weather that's currently being forecast?

I'm staying put at Sonning, this morning was bad enough but at least it was dry.

19 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I reckon you secretly love Thrupp!

You were there a night longer than you said you would be and now, little more than a week later, you're back there again.

When you say off tomoz do you mean actually moving? In the weather that's currently being forecast?

I'm staying put at Sonning, this morning was bad enough but at least it was dry.

I think afternoon should be ok if not I will stay here. Its flat calm and blue skies again at present and oh so much a nicer a temperature than of late. Been blowing a hooley most of today.

Arrived back at our mooring yesterday, and within 45 minutes the heavens had opened.

Interestingly the Coventry had dropped 6 inches in the time we were away, and I now can't get the stern within 2 feet of the bank.