Hooray it's raining!

rgreg

Featured Posts

We're heading for Banbury today where rain is due sometime between 4pm and 7pm if the BBC weather map is to be believed. As I've just washed the dust off one side of the boat it probably will happen and my (rare) effort will have been a waste of time.

I'm hoping there'll be some heavy rain in the Cotswolds to provide some water for the Thames by the time we get there in a week. I believe Mrsmelly is there at the moment so hopefully he's brought his personal rain cloud along.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Hope you get through the pound just below Banbury.  It was very low two days ago where the builders of the new estate are extracting water illegally 

Thanks, I'll take extra care. We got well stuck a couple of locks up from Banbury when we moved over to the right to let a boat through the bridge. Lots of poling in hot weather, not fun so I'd rather not repeat it.

2 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Thanks, I'll take extra care. We got well stuck a couple of locks up from Banbury when we moved over to the right to let a boat through the bridge. Lots of poling in hot weather, not fun so I'd rather not repeat it.

I know exactly where you mean, a cattle-grazing field where the bank is broken up, and we did a similar thing last year - almost followed by a repeat performance a few weeks ago, but luckily a sustained blast of reverse from the trusty Gardner got us free.

46 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Hope you get through the pound just below Banbury.  It was very low two days ago where the builders of the new estate are extracting water illegally 

In the hands of the legal beagles I believe. It'll all be sorted by November then!

After weeks of hot sunshine down here, it's just gone quite cloudy, and the BBC weather map shows heavy rain all along the Kennet and the Thames west of Reading, so I'm hoping for rain for my parched garden this evening. I water the vegetables every evening, but the fruit trees and the grapevines are having to get by on their own, and my plum tree is looking desperate for a good soaking. Also, I really would like it to rain (but only down south because I'll be in the Midlands) while I'm away boating soon.

9 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

We're heading for Banbury today where rain is due sometime between 4pm and 7pm if the BBC weather map is to be believed. As I've just washed the dust off one side of the boat it probably will happen and my (rare) effort will have been a waste of time.

I'm hoping there'll be some heavy rain in the Cotswolds to provide some water for the Thames by the time we get there in a week. I believe Mrsmelly is there at the moment so hopefully he's brought his personal rain cloud along.

The BBC weather map is not to be believed. It is now quarter past seven, I am in said place, and it hasn't...…..

We are in Worcester on the Seven at the moment, had a very heavy down pure earlier for a couple of hours, also some thunder and lightning, now the Seven seems to have a little bit of a flow to it.

9 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Little bit of rain there now https://www.metcheck.com/WEATHER/radar.asp

9 minutes ago, Tunnelman51 said:

The BBC weather map is not to be believed. It is now quarter past seven, I am in said place, and it hasn't...…..

So am I and it did!

About 20 to 30 minutes ago and just spitting for a few minutes, didn't wet the ground but  could be seen on the water. I think you blinked and missed it!

BBC gave about 50% probability for rain.

It's still just rather cloudy but the forecast seems to be suggesting that the rain is edging eastwards down the Thames valley towards me, they show a promising looking rainy bit over the Wey. Come on rain, get to Croydon. But it'll be dark soon, so I'm off outside to water my pumpkins. This is not a euphemism.

I think I was looking the other way. 

Just took a walk to the pound below Banbury lock , the earlier poster wasn't kidding about low levels though, it must be about a foot lower than normal.

That's a considerable amount of water gone between there and Grants lock.

11 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

No rain whatsoever. We havnt been rained on for months. I now have a poxy great sun lamp over me daily. Flippin ott ont Thames today but still plenty of water in the river. Currently at Kings lock going up hill. Evening in pub with a few mates last night, skint with a fluffy head this morning. £5.25 a pint of Guinness.........yep its good to see Oxford is still reassuringly expensive.

Accuweather thinks there are basically currently two distinct lumps of rain, a big area up north centred on Chesterfield and another in NW London around Watford/Uxbridge. It's like London taxis late at night (allegedly, and not true in my experience); it doesn't go south of the river. What I saw above me while watering my vegetable patch was some clouds wandering aimlessly across from the west, still with some blue sky in between. My poor drought stricken plum tree (some of the leaves are going yellow) will have to hang on in there.