Kayak storage

Featured Posts

Hi folks, 

In the process of buying an Aqualine Canterbury to live aboard and need to sort out secure storage on the roof for a couple of kayaks. 

Any thoughts on drilling the handrail or welding to the roof? 

Any photos of existing solutions very welcome. 

Cheers for now, 

John

If you're thinking about welding you have to take into account what is underneath, spray-foam, headlining etc. I've secured brackets by drill and tapping then using security bolts. Done carefully to ensure there's no leaks.

The high strength Neodymium magnets that are available now can provide good holding power without having to drill, or weld the roof. I have solar panels fixed this way and they have survived several winters worth of gales. Another advantage is if you do go under a too low bridge, they may prevent damage by coming away, rather than bending, or breaking something. 

Jen

• Happy 1

I used to keep my sit on kayak on the roof. I secured one side with a chain and padlock, the other with a ratchet strap, each through one of the carrying handles and the handrail on the boat. Worked well but it's quite heavy, lifting it on and off was a pain and it didn't do the paint on my roof any favours. For the past 2 years the kayak has lived in the water. I drag it behind on a rope when I'm cruising. When I moor up I secure it to the Armco with padlock and chain.