CRT licence

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

I recently purchased my first ever CRT licence for our boat.  I then received a booklet and details of how to print the licence for display in the windows (handy as my printer is about 450 miles away!).  I presumed, wrongly, that I would also get a key which would allow me to use the service points and a handcuff key or anti vandal key whatever they are called.  Fortunately these keys are on the bought I bought but am I correc in thinking I should have received them from CRT or did I just imagine it?

10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You can buy a BW key (for they are still often called that) from any local or regional CRT office. I believe you can buy them online too.

Ebay.

13 minutes ago, Dartagnan said:

but am I correc in thinking I should have received them from CRT or did I just imagine it?

I think you just have a very long memory.

Back when God was a boy I think BWB used to give you a 'waterways key', but stopped all that when he had his first and only child.

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

You imagined it, Monsieur Musketeer. Take heart, however, for an active imagination will stand you in good stead for the many trials to come.... :)

Would one of those trials include a dog that is terrified when I start the Gardener engine or when we are in the locks?  If he doesn’t sort himself out I am going to have to move singlehanded whilst swmbo stays in the cabin trying to mollify him.  I have bought some ‘calming tablets’ from the vet so will have to see how he gets on when the boat is put back in the water.

11 minutes ago, Dartagnan said:

Would one of those trials include a dog that is terrified when I start the Gardener engine or when we are in the locks?  If he doesn’t sort himself out I am going to have to move singlehanded whilst swmbo stays in the cabin trying to mollify him.  I have bought some ‘calming tablets’ from the vet so will have to see how he gets on when the boat is put back in the water.

Yes, that situation is very much one of the trials I had in mind.  My advice: take 2 of the dog's pills every 4 hours. 

Incidentally,  the Gardner engine has that affect on quite a few of its owners.  Fortunately most of the locks are closed at the moment, so you only have to deal with one issue at a time. ;)

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Dartagnan said:

I recently purchased my first ever CRT licence for our boat.  I then received a booklet and details of how to print the licence for display in the windows (handy as my printer is about 450 miles away!).  

They did at one time send the license by post and I think they will still do so if you ask nicely. Also you can get some license holders free - or you could the last time I looked.

I don't understand  why the license has to be displayed there days . Providing the index number and boat name are  visible the license can be checked online. 

If you do not display your license I expect nothing bad will happen.

Recently a lock keeper on the R Trent said they are no longer required to check licenses  but they do keep a log of boat names and index numbers which may be used by head office as evidence of a boat being used for navigation without a license.

21 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I don't understand  why the license has to be displayed there days .

Because the law requires it to be displayed, and parliament has better things to do than to change it (apparently). 

CRT however do not require the licence (or even the name) to be displayed. Just the CRT registration number. 

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

They did at one time send the license by post and I think they will still do so if you ask nicely. Also you can get some license holders free - or you could the last time I looked.

I don't understand  why the license has to be displayed there days . Providing the index number and boat name are  visible the license can be checked online. 

If you do not display your license I expect nothing bad will happen.

Recently a lock keeper on the R Trent said they are no longer required to check licenses  but they do keep a log of boat names and index numbers which may be used by head office as evidence of a boat being used for navigation without a license.

Except they dont talk to each other, just like if you use the Anderton Lift , Hearcastle Tunnle, Montgomery Canal, Weaver Locks, it wont appear  on your sightings record 

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Because the law requires it to be displayed, and parliament has better things to do than to change it (apparently). 

CRT however do not require the licence (or even the name) to be displayed. Just the CRT registration number. 

Those are two damn good reasons for not displaying a license.

I think not displaying your licence is OK if you never stray from CART waters. But not actually having a paper licence would cause grief if you ventured onto EA , NT Bridgewater and the Avon as these authorities may take sighting of the CART licence as support for compliance of current insurance and BSS conditions before issuing any licence of their own.

And who can remember back in the day when BW held a competition complete with generous prize to name said BW key? The winning name was 'Watermate Key' – a monika that remained in boating and BW consciousness for rather less time than water is retained in a typical leaking lock!

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Our licence wasn't checked when we went on the Avon, we purchased the ANT license on foot so didn't have the boat with us for anyone to check.

Certainly when you buy the licence from ANT in Stratford you are often going to walk to the info boat to buy the licence, we did similar, so no one looks at the CRT licence.

I also can't remember the Thames doing that either, but I think on the EA form you sign to say you have BSS and insurance.

However I can't see any reason not to display the CRT licence, they even sent a paper one in the post for some reason, but that one is still at home, the one I printed from the PDF in displayed on the boat.  Why would you not?