Wharfs?

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, mark99 said:

Re Batchworth - if the offside farm there was a boat for sale there with mooring - was circa £200K.

The boat was an ex working boat can't remember its name.

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

Cantley

Started off in June 2016 @ £170000, but slowly reduced until February 2018 when it was down to £110000 - but did it sell :captain:

2 hours ago, BWM said:

In a similar area, does anyone know what the area below common mooring lock was used for? There is a fairly obvious wharf that stretches from the lock to the railway but no trace of anything there. I know there was a busy papermill above the lock but don't know if its connected in any way. 

From my limited research I found out the following which should ber treated with a bit of caution as none of it has been validated.

"I found out the "terrace" between Lock 80 and 81 was in fact level ground with canal at one time. Belonged to a gravel Co (was and grade/washplant) near Lock 81 (Rickmansworth Gravel Co). opposite but downstream/downlock of Croxley Mills. Used to have boats visit to take way the gravel. They moved out when plant closed down and opened up new workings (Aquadrome Lakes).

Then then Metropolitan Line used that area as a sidings entering from /off the London Underground triangle rail loop/junc near Lock 80) - I think still on level ground. The sidings came into disuse and the terrace level was made up with soil and spoil from when they revamped the Met line near Neasden (assume they used trains to dump spoil there). That's why you still can find those white round porcelein live wire insualtors all round that terrace".

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

From my limited research I found out the following which should ber treated with a bit of caution as none of it has been validated.

"I found out the "terrace" between Lock 80 and 81 was in fact level ground with canal at one time. Belonged to a gravel Co (was and grade/washplant) near Lock 81 (Rickmansworth Gravel Co). opposite but downstream/downlock of Croxley Mills. Used to have boats visit to take way the gravel. They moved out when plant closed down and opened up new workings (Aquadrome Lakes).

Then then Metropolitan Line used that area as a sidings entering from /off the London Underground triangle rail loop/junc near Lock 80) - I think still on level ground. The sidings came into disuse and the terrace level was made up with soil and spoil from when they revamped the Met line near Neasden (assume they used trains to dump spoil there). That's why you still can find those white round porcelein live wire insualtors all round that terrace".

The sidings were on the towpath side and there was a few rails visible in places, I assume the gravel workings were on the offside opposite?

The gravel was on the towpath side known as long valley IIRC/Croxley Hall woods. The railway side branch took most of the gravel away I think - the gravel co moved down towards Ricky when this dry pit was exhausted and the wet gravel near Ricky was boated back to Croxley at a grading plant by barge. The process/grading plant was opposite the turning bay on the moor.

The levels have greatly altered.

Edited by mark99

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

The gravel was on the towpath side known as long valley IIRC/Croxley Hall woods. The railway side branch took most of the gravel away I think - the gravel co moved down towards Ricky when this dry pit was exhausted and the wet gravel near Ricky was boated back to Croxley at a grading plant by barge. The process/grading plant was opposite the turning bay on the moor.

The levels have greatly altered.

I see, it was the offside that I wondered about. The turn looks to be part of a busy wharf, and looks more like a layby for loading. 

The grading plant was around this yellow area - 1932 image. Look how flat the RHS is compared to now. Circa 20 foot lower than now.

image.png.a7e6a8565f61813219dae51528743c5d.png

9 boats <or 11?> in this 1926 shot.

image.png.45a942d4dc9a64874d562a92635dccc7.png

Edited by mark99

40 minutes ago, mark99 said:

The grading plant was around this yellow area - 1932 image. Look how flat the RHS is compared to now. Circa 20 foot lower than now.

image.png.a7e6a8565f61813219dae51528743c5d.png

9 boats <or 11?> in this 1926 shot.

image.png.45a942d4dc9a64874d562a92635dccc7.png

I've never seen photos of this area from that era, very different to today. Even the land opposite the factory is much flatter, it now rises quite sharply up to the housing that is there now. Do you know what ran through the cutting visible in the top right corner of the first picture? Seems a long way over for it to be the Met line.