What fuel filter do I need?

Featured Posts

As Alan said. It will remove the larger chunks of dirt and about 80% of the water drops   in the fuel flow. The other 20% of water and any smaller dirt particls get removed by the engine filter. This one is also known as a sedimentor (because it removes sediment while the engine filter OR the next filter down the line is known as an agglomerator because it agglomerataes small water droplets into larger ones that can then drop into the bowl below the filter.

FWIW - your boat has the correct item, far too many fit an aggolerataor that use a filter in that positions and although it will adequately remove the water it will clog with dirt far more easily than your sedimentor.

Just now, blythecooper said:

Ohh. Why was it full of diesel? Is that usual? And where is a primary fuel filter usually installed??

It is there to separate water out of the diesel

We are going to need some more clues to find the main filter, like perhaps engine type, or some photos of the engine bay

Richard

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

also known as a sedimenter

20180711_125004.jpg.4b85ad6d66756b232476

It even says that

Richard

2 minutes ago, blythecooper said:

Ohh. Why was it full of diesel? Is that usual? And where is a primary fuel filter usually installed??

Because that is what is supposed to happen. If there was any water or dirt in it it woudl eb in the bae of the bowl.

If you do not think the engine filter is good enough then fit an agglomerator just after the sedimentor.

5 minutes ago, blythecooper said:

This started leaking and letting air into the system.. I just assumed it was a fuel filter (complete newbie). Happy to leave as is once I've stopped the leak!

We have sets of seals for them. From memory, they are different to the fuel filter sealing rings

Richard

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am not sure they are but bow to your more recent knowledge.

They might be for the type with a filter on the top of the sedimenter. I know one of them uses different size rings. 

12 minutes ago, RLWP said:

They might be for the type with a filter on the top of the sedimenter. I know one of them uses different size rings. 

May be.

Definitely two different sized rings that are easy to get mixed up for any of these things. Hope the OP realises there must be some form of seal on the drain plug and  the centre bolt he undid to get the thing apart.  In the latter case it might be an Or ing or a soft washer depending upon the design of the top housing. At least he should get them all in a seal set.