Best Alternator for Lombardini Engine

Featured Posts

Hello, 

Our alternator has just broken so looking for a replacement. It currently has a 70amp delco remy one but I can't find an exact replacement. We have a lombardini ldw 1404 engine.

Any recommendations for good alternators to go for?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Lombardini engines weren't hugely popular on the inland waterways, so you might not get a great response.

Can you post a photo of the Delco unit, or does it have a model number engraved on it somewhere?

Its an HC Cargo 111166. Go to https://hc-cargo.co.uk/ and put the number in the search box.

Yours has been modified, probably one of the extra wires will be the tacho connection, whilst the other is an external regulator/controller of some sort?

Most alternator repairers will recognise the HC Cargo number, and should be able to supply a unit with the tacho wire. They may not give you any warranty if you issist on the the external controller wire being fitted. Most modern internal regulators will provide a sufficiently high voltage without the external controller being fitted.

Not sure that its the original fittment, unless there is another reason for the "homemade" tensioner bracket.

Edited by Eeyore

14 minutes ago, Eeyore said:

Not sure that its the original fittment, unless there is another reason for the "homemade" tensioner bracket.

I agree.  The alternator should be the same as the one on the LDW1204 which I have.  There is no separate tensioner bracket. There is a slot built into the casing to allow the alternator to swivel. 

I bought a replacement 80 amp from Electrostart Ltd. 2 Prospect Way Daventry last October for 147.50.  01327 876666  sales@ electrostart.co.uk

Described as  "MG18 alternator". Iskra make I think.

LOMBARDINI LDW Alternator 14V 80 Amp Iskra Letrika Mahle AAK3139 NEW OEM

4 hours ago, philjw said:

I agree.  The alternator should be the same as the one on the LDW1204 which I have.  There is no separate tensioner bracket. There is a slot built into the casing to allow the alternator to swivel. 

I bought a replacement 80 amp from Electrostart Ltd. 2 Prospect Way Daventry last October for 147.50.  01327 876666  sales@ electrostart.co.uk

Described as  "MG18 alternator". Iskra make I think.

There are a few in the HC Cargo catalogue similar to this. 111036 @ 45 amps, 113471 @ 65 amps, both listed as used on Fiat and Lancia. The 113533 @ 65 amps is shown as being used on Fiat, Lancia and Lombardini. Couldn't see an 80 amp, although obviously available elsewhere. All three have Iskra cross ref numbers.

4 hours ago, curlass24 said:

Great thanks. Do you think its likely I can just connect the two wires and not get it modified?

The blue wire wasn't linked to anything, just the yellow 

No, leave any "extra" wires disconnected and tied back out of harms way. Worst case is that the tacho won't work, and you can live without that.

Edited by Eeyore

Yes. tachometer or tacho is the rev counter. Usually fed from the terminal marked W on the alternator.  I think at least one of the additional wires from your old alternator was used by an alternator controller e.g. Adverc and as has already been said need not be connected to the new one.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your help, gave managed do find a dire t replacement for the original lombardini alternator.

One more thing, do you know if buying the alternator fitting bracket that lombardini supply is essential?

Don't you have that bracket with the original alternator or is this a different alternator that will fit with an additional bracket? If the latter then probably yes but not if the former. (More info/photo/link required for proper answer)

So does the alternator you have found look like the above, as fitted to the 1204? If so then as far as I know, no bracket is needed. Both fixing points are direct to the front of the engine. The slotted groove on the alternator does the job of the bracket in that it allows the alternator to pivot, giving the ability to adjust the drive belt tension.

Have a look at the diagram at page 32 of the manual here: http://www.lombardini.no/Work Shop Manual FOCS matr 1-5302-351.pdf

34 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Possibly because an end bracket has broken. See photo post 3.

I was tempted to reply earlier in similar tenor - but courage failed me...

I wondered whether it might be more cost effective - if resources are readily available - to re-engineer the mounting brackets to fit a  less expensive and more powerful alternator. There's already a sliding bracket (of sorts) fitted.

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

I was tempted to reply earlier in similar tenor - but courage failed me...

I wondered whether it might be more cost effective - if resources are readily available - to re-engineer the mounting brackets to fit a  less expensive and more powerful alternator. There's already a sliding bracket (of sorts) fitted.

At the prices quoted that would be my first thought buy I suspect the OP may not be confident and as ready to metal bash as we may be..