Brand New to this and looking for tips!

Waterdude2017

Featured Posts

Hi everyone.

My wife and myself are new to this having just inherited a small cruiser.

We're looking for some help in getting started - where is the best place to find upcoming events, galas, social functions etc.? Also, is there a national map of moorings, repair facilities and the like?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.

20 minutes ago, Waterdude2017 said:

Hi everyone.

We're looking for some help in getting started - where is the best place to find upcoming events, galas, social functions etc.? Also, is there a national map of moorings, repair facilities and the like?

Thanks.

You may like to look at the Boaters Handbook from the Canal and River Trust which will help steer you in the right direction - https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/library/141.pdf

Depending on your cruising area the appropriate Nicholsons Guide will also be very useful - they are published in a number of volumes giving details of facilities on the relevant waterway. They can be found on Amazon and most good chandlers as are the alternative canal guides - Pearsons.

Have fun with your new boat.

Howard

56 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

^^^ plus, take a look into your local chandlers or marina shop and pick up the free boaty papers/magazines such as "Towpath Times".

Following Seadog's suggestion, if you can't get into a chandlers easily, Towpath talk is also available free to read online - https://www.towpathtalk.co.uk/

Howard

Waterways World is a good magazine and they publish an annual list of boatyards etc. There's also a facebook page.

If you don't mind spending time on your PC (whatever) then Canalplan is a good site as many / most of the routes you might use have photos - so you can see what the route is like.

'We' could help more if you said where you are located and/or where you think you might cruise.

Oh - and Welcome to this mad house forum

22 hours ago, Waterdude2017 said:

Hi everyone.

Thanks.

Where are you / the boat based?