Free BT sport via EE how much data for 90 mins

reg

Featured Posts

Have just discovered I have free BT sport access via my EE max plan, managed to set it up OK but as I'm new to this malarkey I was wondering how much data I would use for 90 minutes of football, anyone have any  ball park figures on this 

Thanks. 

Itv reception a bit ropey via free view at the moment so need a backup plan for tomorrow. Need I say why? 

Edited by reg

10 minutes ago, reg said:

Have just discovered I have free BT sport access via my EE max plan, managed to set it up OK but as I'm new to this malarkey I was wondering how much data I would use for 90 minutes of football, anyone have any  ball park figures on this 

Thanks. 

Itv reception a bit ropey via free view at the moment so need a backup plan for tomorrow. Need I say why? 

Isn't any data used free/included?

10 minutes ago, MJG said:

Mmm...

It seems it does indeed use your data allowance.

This link suggests 2gb for a game including half time.

how-to/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/ee-offers-free-bt-sport-how-to-get-it-and

Thanks for that. Have 13gb left for 14 days so looks like I'll be more than OK for tomorrow and the weekend 

Info as far as I can make out it's free with an ee max plan for 3 months then £5 per month after that, can be cancelled at anytime though so not locked in. 

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Assuming you are talking about the football World Cup, then it is on BBC/ITV anyway, you don't need BT Sport for it.

He's got ropey reception on freeview.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

He's got ropey reception on freeview.

Yes but even ft BT Sport are showing it you can use the BBC/ITV app anyway, which have the advantage of letting you connect the phone to the TV via hdmi, which the BT Sport app (like the SKY Go app) does not.  I would also suggest they may be better on data than BT Sport but I have no proof of that as it's not too important to be as I use Three and have unlimited data on the phone (connected to the TV).

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yes but even ft BT Sport are showing it you can use the BBC/ITV app anyway, which have the advantage of letting you connect the phone to the TV via hdmi, which the BT Sport app (like the SKY Go app) does not.  I would also suggest they may be better on data than BT Sport but I have no proof of that as it's not too important to be as I use Three and have unlimited data on the phone (connected to the TV).

Does ITV allow live viewing via. the hub app? If it does that's interesting. I can stream iPlayer live to Google Chromecast using the iPlayer app, but itv hub (and channel 4) wont allow streaming of live programmes to it. Only catch up stuff.

So an HDMI lead connected direct to the TV gets around this?

We have tv in the house not connected to an aerial and the freeview signal is too poor to use a portable aerial. So the only channels I can watch live tv on it are the BBC ones. If itv works via. and an hdmi cable it would get around this.

48 minutes ago, MJG said:

We have tv in the house not connected to an aerial and the freeview signal is too poor to use a portable aerial. So the only channels I can watch live tv on it are the BBC ones. If itv works via. and an hdmi cable it would get around this.

Have a look at "TVCatchup" - there's a .com website and apps in the appropriate app store.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Assuming you are talking about the football World Cup, then it is on BBC/ITV anyway, you don't need BT Sport for it.

As far as I can tell I think today's live game is only on I TV and not BBC. 

As I have BT sport free for 3 months may as well use it. I just wanted to know if I would have enough data for the game and it it appears I will have ample. 

I'm OK for the weekend as I can get BBC. 

Edited by reg

2 hours ago, Rickent said:

Watch the game in the pub and save your data, the only cost is the price of your beer. :cheers:

If only I could I'm not allowed to drink so if you could have an extra pint on my behalf I would be very grateful. Thanks 

37 minutes ago, reg said:

I just wanted to know if I would have enough data for the game and it it appears I will have ample. 

It varies a lot depending on the source and video resolution, but I use a gig an hour as a yardstick which is quite a handy guesstimate for the "not getting caught out" point of view.

2 hours ago, MJG said:

Does ITV allow live viewing via. the hub app? If it does that's interesting. I can stream iPlayer live to Google Chromecast using the iPlayer app, but itv hub (and channel 4) wont allow streaming of live programmes to it. Only catch up stuff.

So an HDMI lead connected direct to the TV gets around this?

Every time our Freeview box "retunes", it loses various channels, particularly ITV4. Since we can't remember how the nice TV man did the manual retune, when we want to watch anything like the Tour de France, we connect my laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable and watch live. It works with other ITV channels too. 

11 hours ago, MJG said:

Mmm...

It seems it does indeed use your data allowance.

This link suggests 2gb for a game including half time.

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/ee-offers-free-bt-sport-how-to-get-it-and-what-s-really-on-offer-1324672

Thanks for that link very informative, don't know why ee can't provide the same info in an easy to find format. 

Seems I may have an added bonus in that I can use the BT open one WiFi, wasn't aware of that before I will certainly be looking into it soon. 

Thanks again 

11 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Since we can't remember how the nice TV man did the manual retune...

It’s usually something like Menu—Setup—Install. They all vary yet they’re all much the same. 

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

How do you connect your phone to the tv?

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It’s usually something like Menu—Setup—Install. They all vary yet they’re all much the same. 

Unfortunately it was more complicated than that. It seems that Freeview searches for different transmitters when it retunes, rather than the nearest one, so we were ending up with weaker and weaker signals from transmitters further and further away. The way the nice TV man did it was to set a parameter for it to search within, so it found our nearest transmitter - Winter Hill, which we can see from the house. I just can't remember how he did it, and there's nothing in the destructions explaining that method of retuning.

Just now, DaveandDebby said:

Unfortunately it was more complicated than that. It seems that Freeview searches for different transmitters when it retunes, rather than the nearest one, so we were ending up with weaker and weaker signals from transmitters further and further away. 

That contradicts itself. The second part of the second sentence shows that it isn’t searching for different transmitters but is sticking with the last one it used. An ‘install’ as opposed to a ‘retune’ should find the strongest signal. 

Just now, WotEver said:

That contradicts itself. The second part of the second sentence shows that it isn’t searching for different transmitters but is sticking with the last one it used. An ‘install’ as opposed to a ‘retune’ should find the strongest signal. 

No, it ignores the last one it used and finds another one. I used to do an 'install', but every time I did that it lost more channels. The way the TV man did it was the only way that has worked. Anyway, it's not really a hassle, the HDMI cable is now connected permanently to the TV, and I just move the laptop over to it for an hour every evening for three weeks of the year. Or more if ITV4 is showing the Vuelta or the Giro. Other than for watching cycling, we never watch ITV4 - or any of the other ITV channels. 

34 minutes ago, DaveandDebby said:

Unfortunately it was more complicated than that. It seems that Freeview searches for different transmitters when it retunes, rather than the nearest one, so we were ending up with weaker and weaker signals from transmitters further and further away. The way the nice TV man did it was to set a parameter for it to search within, so it found our nearest transmitter - Winter Hill, which we can see from the house. I just can't remember how he did it, and there's nothing in the destructions explaining that method of retuning.

I had a similar issue. Turned out the answer was to do a retune with no aerial connected (therefore no stations found) then reconnect the aerial and retune again.

This hasn't solved the issue on our second telly which now only holds certain channels (ITV3 and 4 to our certain knowledge, possibly others we don't care about) until powered off; then it's a retune to get them back.

1 hour ago, DaveandDebby said:

Every time our Freeview box "retunes", it loses various channels, particularly ITV4. Since we can't remember how the nice TV man did the manual retune, when we want to watch anything like the Tour de France, we connect my laptop to the TV with an HDMI cable and watch live. It works with other ITV channels too. 

Cheers yes, I have done that too. I was curious to know how it's done with a phone using the apps.

26 minutes ago, MJG said:

I was curious to know how it's done with a phone 

With a six quid cable (or a bit more if you want it faster). iPhone cable:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/163093762317?rt=nc&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20161006002618%26meid%3De394dba31bbb4eb48afb46aa94cfb28d%26pid%3D100694%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D29%26sd%3D323246560422%26itm%3D163093762317