Out of water survey in London

Featured Posts

Hi all,

My insurer requires me to do a full out of water survey (the boat is over 30 years old). Does anyone know any locations in London where I can do that? I emailed a number of docks/marinas but I wonder if there are other places that can do that since they all seem quite busy. Ideally I would find a place close to central London.

Thanks for your help!

4 minutes ago, Erik.narrowboat said:

Hi all,

My insurer requires me to do a full out of water survey (the boat is over 30 years old). Does anyone know any locations in London where I can do that? I emailed a number of docks/marinas but I wonder if there are other places that can do that since they all seem quite busy. Ideally I would find a place close to central London.

Thanks for your help!

You may have to travel a fair bit further North - it is peak season for blacking and painting and many yards are booked up many months in advance.

It is the same further North, but there are more yards so you stand more chance of getting a 'slot' in between jobs.

You may need to book a surveyor separately so will need to co-ordinate the surveyor availability with the yard / hoist availability.

Good luck !

Not exactly central but an easy, lock free journey is highline on the slough arm. They have a fair amount of hardstanding so would be likely to be able to accommodate you at short notice. A fully equipped boat yard, so should be able to sort out any problems that arise. 

Why not change your insurer ? There are some companies that do not require an out of water survey on a 30 year old  boat . From a previous thread I recall someone stating www.basic-boat.com didn't require a survey but there are others . If you are 20 years older than your boat then I believe Saga were another company that didn't require a survey. 

8 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

Why not change your insurer ? There are some companies that do not require an out of water survey on a 30 year old  boat . From a previous thread I recall someone stating www.basic-boat.com didn't require a survey but there are others . If you are 20 years older than your boat then I believe Saga were another company that didn't require a survey. 

Maybe the OP wants comprehensive cover not just 3rd party

Is the grid at the London Apprentice still there? This would be PERFECT for a hull-only survey for insurance.

Or as previously suggested, switch to third party only insurance and swerve the survey completely.

7 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

The BSS advises as follows :

To reduce the risk of your boat sinking if it keels over or is excessively weighed down, it's a good idea for privately owned boats to only have openings which are at a height of at least 250mm (10ins) above the waterline. Where openings are necessary below this level this risk can be reduced by ensuring that these openings are permanently and securely connected to ducts or pipes, which are watertight up to that level.

It seems that there are 'some' NBs that actually fail to achieve that (with older ones particularly failing with 'low' engine room vents), but as it is only an 'advisory' you still pass the BSS.

The Tidal Thames is classed as category C waters, and Narrowboats are only rated for category D waters.  In the event of an accident you would need to convince your insurers that you had taken all necessary actions to prepare your boat for Cat C waters.

Check your insurance - you may be allowed to 'transit' Cat C waters, or you may have to apply / notify them beforehand.

‘C’ INSHORE: Designed for voyages in coastal waters, large bays, estuaries, lakes and rivers where conditions up to, and including, wind force 6 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 2 m may be experienced.

‘D’ SHELTERED WATERS: Designed for voyages on sheltered coastal waters, small bays, small lakes, rivers and canals when conditions up to, and including, wind force 4 and significant wave heights up to, and including, 0.3 m may be experienced, with occasional waves of 0.5 m maximum height, for example from passing vessels.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 hours ago, Erik.narrowboat said:

Hi all,

Thanks for your help!

Dry docks around London:

At Hallingbury Marina on the Stort

At Enfield on the Lee

At St Pancras on the Regents (SPCC)

At Brentford (MSO), Bulls Bridge and Uxbridge on the Grand Union

Further afield there is the One at the Top of the Marsworth flight (Jem Bates)

Craneage at Stanstead Abbots Marina on the Lee, Iver on the Slough Arm (Highline) and at Cassiobury (P & S Marine) on the GU and possibly others

There is a slipway at Harefield Marina on the GU, a bit further out there are slipways at Cowroast Marina, also on the GU and at Aylesbury Circus Fields Marina

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

As noted above there are a couple of grids that dry out at low water.  No idea if you could persuade a surveyor to go there.

http://www.pla.co.uk/About-Us/PLA-Drying-Out-Facilities 

I assume you have tried the dry dock at St Pancras?

I read about the St Pancras dock but I can't find any details, website, etc. Is it still there? How do I contact them?

I was already hesitant about going on the the Thames but after reading some of the above I will just avoid it.

6 hours ago, Erik.narrowboat said:

I read about the St Pancras dock but I can't find any details, website, etc. Is it still there? How do I contact them?

I was already hesitant about going on the the Thames but after reading some of the above I will just avoid it.

0207 278 2858 though you may find it better to visit in person

• 4 years later...
On 10/07/2018 at 22:11, matty40s said:

Look at the tides and book your surveyor to visit you on the tidal Thames when the short term docking sites come available.

Hi Matty, how would you do this? What's a short term docking site? Is it those structures that are around that you can just sit your boat on top of and wait for the tide to go out?

Saskia