Trent and Mersey stoppage

rgreg

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, Silebyman said:

According to CRT stoppages both locks are fixed ( or bodged back together )

Bit of relief as going through there in a couple of days..

Capture.JPG

Credit to CRT for a swift repair ahead of schedule.

The bankside staff are terrific.

I wish management were half as good.

Spending money on preventative maintenance, would be a great place to start.

And if they talk to their own staff, they'll show them what needs doing.

Rog

It's a bit strange they haven't made it public on their social media stuff (I get my stoppage notices via Twitter)

I got the stoppage notice it was shut, but not that it was back open again.

I only found out it was back open by rooting around the CRT website

6 minutes ago, dogless said:

The bankside staff are terrific.

I wish management were half as good.

Spending money on preventative maintenance, would be a great place to start.

And if they talk to their own staff, they'll show them what needs doing.

Rog

More engineers/practitioners and fewer (if any) money managers would be a start!!!

Why don't we start at the top and review staff on the basis of their worth in keeping the waterways navigable and all of us cruising - we are still not in the busy period.........................

6 minutes ago, Silebyman said:

It's a bit strange they haven't made it public on their social media stuff (I get my stoppage notices via Twitter)

I got the stoppage notice it was shut, but not that it was back open again.

I only found out it was back open by rooting around the CRT website

No I didn't receive it either. They did say there would be an update today on the original notice but the work on lock 67 wasn't scheduled until today.

Edited by rgreg

18 minutes ago, Halsey said:

More engineers/practitioners and fewer (if any) money managers would be a start!!!

Why don't we start at the top and review staff on the basis of their worth in keeping the waterways navigable and all of us cruising - we are still not in the busy period.........................

Don't forget that C&RT have many other targets to achieve or they lose their DEFRA grant.

ie : Number of visitors to the canals

37 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Getting the balance between do-ers and desk jockeys is always a challenge, and the sentiment that we should sack the lot and leave it all to people on the bank is great as a rallying call.

It is also not going to actually work!

To make things work, you actually need the guy on the ground who sees the ideal solution, without regard to cost, and the guy in the office who sees the cheapest solution. Then they need to TALK to find out why the cheapest solution isn't going to work, and why the ideal solution is unaffordable to find a solution that loses as little as possible from the ideal, whilst keeping the cost down.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, mayalld said:

Getting the balance between do-ers and desk jockeys is always a challenge, and the sentiment that we should sack the lot and leave it all to people on the bank is great as a rallying call.

It is also not going to actually work!

To make things work, you actually need the guy on the ground who sees the ideal solution, without regard to cost, and the guy in the office who sees the cheapest solution. Then they need to TALK to find out why the cheapest solution isn't going to work, and why the ideal solution is unaffordable to find a solution that loses as little as possible from the ideal, whilst keeping the cost down.

There’s a start then  - let’s have a guy on the ground who knows what he’s doing and what to look for.......

20 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Having come up birmingham and fazeley, saltley and digbeth (ashtead) and then farmers bridge today crt are one paddle or one dropped gate from this route being closed. Many locks on one paddle and gates in distress. There was also nowhere to moor as the whole place is now designated for trip boats that are not running...

Its quite noisy here as well , take it theres something going on at the arena thing?

It is only the stretch between Brindley Place and the ICC that is for trip boats.  There is a decent amount of mooring on the Main Line, Oozells st Loop and Cambrian wharf, as well as the less desirable ones (due to high foot fall) the other side of Worcester Bar on the W&B.

On 10 July 2018 at 19:25, nicknorman said:

It is annoying and I really resent CRT’s new strategy of blaming every infrastructure failure on “vandalism” or “boat damage” when in reality it is because, eg, the lock gates are completely rotten and/or the infrastructure lacks any preventative maintenance. They lie too easily.

On the latest 'Boaters Update' they actually have a video showing water pouring through 62 and claiming it was the result of boater damage. I must say it didn't look like that to me.