Fradley to Llangollen - mooring advice please

Proper Charlie

Featured Posts

We're off on an extended cruise at the end of next week, heading to Llangollen for the first time. I know the cut pretty well as far as Fradley, but from there our route will take us into new territory - Trent & Mersey north, then cutting back on the Staffs and Worcester to Atherley, then up the Shroppie to Crewe, then to Llangollen.

I'd be grateful for any advice on great places to moor and also those to avoid. We usually eat on board and like rural moorings, but also like to call in at pubs and restaurants every now and then. 

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

We would go Handsacre, Brindley Bank, Tixall, above Deptmore, Penkridge, Gailey, Coven, near Bridge 7 on the Shroppie, Wheaton Aston, Market Drayton, Audlem somewhere, Coole Pilate, Nantwich and so onto the Llangollen. Can't help you past there, the Llangollen's not a canal we bother with, too crowded.

We only do two or three hours per day, so you'd probably skip half of these!

On the SU, the Secret nuclear bunker is quite fun & a pleasant mooring on the Cheshire plains. I can't tell you where it is, of course, because it's a secret.

On the Llangollen:

* Whixhall Moss. If you look out for the post on the bank you can have one end of the boat in England and the other in Wales

* Ellesmere, on right before tunnel.

* Llangollen, get there early in the day. Charge for each 24 hours you stay.

If you're considering safety, I don't recall anywhere to avoid on that route really.  Bimble on and stop when the mood takes you, the countryside suits or there's a pub you like the look of. At this time of year, I'd moor at Trevor and walk the final few furlongs to Llangollen - you can then giggle and feel smug when you walk past the melee in the narrows.  There's a bus service should you not fancy walking both ways... or either way, come to that!  Really nice trip though.  

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

If you're considering safety, I don't recall anywhere to avoid on that route really.  Bimble on and stop when the mood takes you, the countryside suits or there's a pub you like the look of. At this time of year, I'd moor at Trevor and walk the final few furlongs to Llangollen - you can then giggle and feel smug when you walk past the melee in the narrows.  There's a bus service should you not fancy walking both ways... or either way, come to that!  Really nice trip though.  

We have stopped in Trevor a few times and gone to Llangollen on the bus. The bus stop is up the hill on the main road.

Many moons ago we cycled it - about 4 miles but all flat on a good surface.

Last year I sailed it but had a 6am start from Trevor.

I agree there's nowhere really on that route to steer clear of.  You might have issues with "wild" mooring on the Shroppie though.  Brewood is a lovely place to stop, go through the cutting though and moor north of the village.  On the Llangollen mooring isn't a problem until you pass Chirk.  Wrenbury just after the lift bridge is a nice spot with two pubs close by.  Beyond Trevor is a challenge, especially as there will be a lot of (inexperienced) hire boaters.  It seems to take forever but I'd do it nonetheless, there's plenty of mooring in the town these days.     

Plan when you will arrive at Llangollen to be Sat/Sun or Sun/Mon nights it will then be much quieter as most of the hire boats turn round Fri/Sat way down the canal and arrive in Llangollen mid week.  Even in the middle of August it was not busy working on that schedule, but you will pass lots of boats going the other way!

Edited by john6767

Be aware of the Shroppie 'ledge' especially at the southern end. It's usually around a foot under the water and will prevent you getting your boat right to the edge. You can still usually get close enough to step off the boat though, but some folk are put off by it. The Shropshire Union Canal Society have done a lot of work creating good moorings where there is no ledge and they are usually clearly identifiable. Also, the towpath through some of the cuttings are always very wet and muddy, although probably not at the moment.

Other nice places to moor (not in open countryside but nice villages and good pubs) are Breweood and Gnosall.

On 10/07/2018 at 16:17, Scholar Gypsy said:

On the SU, the Secret nuclear bunker is quite fun & a pleasant mooring on the Cheshire plains. I can't tell you where it is, of course, because it's a secret.

On the Llangollen:

* Whixhall Moss. If you look out for the post on the bank you can have one end of the boat in England and the other in Wales

* Ellesmere, on right before tunnel.

* Llangollen, get there early in the day. Charge for each 24 hours you stay.