Am I a coward?

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, rgreg said:

I have 240v fridge, washer, microwave, TV, toaster, phone and tablet chargers, and, in this weather, 300w of solar gives me all the power I need for the day by mid-morning. Water heating is done by the boiler so no engine running required.

There's a theory that development runs in three stages, which in boating would be my very basic set up (gas & two batteries), a complex stage  such as the boats with all your kind of electrical gubbins needing inverters and complex battery management involving running engines/gennies forever, and the final stage of real efficiency when, as you say, it all get simplified again into batteries and solar, and peace and quiet returns. 

Okay sp for someone who is eventualy going to live on the vut can anyone explain these "rules" to me? Are they unwritten social respect based rules....people must have to run engines at some point during a two week stop over so how does it play out?

2 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

Okay sp for someone who is eventualy going to live on the vut can anyone explain these "rules" to me? Are they unwritten social respect based rules....people must have to run engines at some point during a two week stop over so how does it play out?

One of the terms and conditions you accept when you get a licence states you may not run an engine (other than for travelling) between the hours of 8pm and 8am.  So it is pretty cut and dried. 

Someone will be along to quote the actual term/condition shortly no doubt!

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks.

So in my interpretation of (a), engines may not be run when moored up in the daytime either if a nearby boater is finding it a 'nuisance'. 

Absolutely. The rule is that you must NOT run your engine within earshot of others between 8 pm and 8 am.

Which is a long way from saying that you CAN run your engine continuously from 8 am to 8pm, which is what some boaters would have you believe.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks.

So in my interpretation of (a), engines may not be run when moored up in the daytime either if a nearby boater is finding it a 'nuisance'. 

Yes, like the couple who moored smack in front of us at Westport Lake the other week, sharing a ring. No problem with that at all, but he then got a Honda genny out, put it carefully on the towpath alongside the very stern of his boat and ran it for two hours. The exhaust found its way into our well deck, of course, so that we had to sit inside the boat with the bow doors shut and keeping an eye on the CO alarm.

Like the OP, I didn't have the courage to confront him, just did the A-level glare when we walked past.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks.

It applies equally if a non-boater finds it a nuisance.

It''s a little unfair to criticise someone for running a generator for two hours during appropriate hours, if you're not prepared to advise them of the problem it's causing you don't you think ?

How are they supposed to know it's an issue?

The vast majority of us are friendly, polite, and unlikely to knowingly cause problems for others has always been my experience ;)

Rog

26 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Yes, like the couple who moored smack in front of us at Westport Lake the other week, sharing a ring. No problem with that at all, but he then got a Honda genny out, put it carefully on the towpath alongside the very stern of his boat and ran it for two hours. The exhaust found its way into our well deck, of course, so that we had to sit inside the boat with the bow doors shut and keeping an eye on the CO alarm.

Like the OP, I didn't have the courage to confront him, just did the A-level glare when we walked past.

At least it was a Honda ?

On 10/07/2018 at 10:43, doratheexplorer said:

A few days ago I moored up next to a boat with a lovely couple and a slightly scary looking Staffy dog.  

Would it have been better if the dog was nice but the people were scary looking?

Seems like they did not want you there and it took a while for the penny to drop.