Am I a coward?

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

48 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

You have the ideal cure for this problem, Start your engine, cast off & motor off to moorings new If you don't like the boat & folk on it moored next to you up sticks & find a new spot

Which works perfectly well most of the time, assuming there's somewhere else to moor that meets your particular needs at that particular time. But what when the numbers of folk who think that they can do as they please and others "can just move on if they don't like it" proliferate, and there's one of those at the next mooring too?  The cut would be a poorer place for the loss of kindness and consideration which is so often it's hallmark. 

• Greenie 4

12 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Which works perfectly well most of the time, assuming there's somewhere else to moor that meets your particular needs at that particular time. But what when the numbers of folk who think that they can do as they please and others "can just move on if they don't like it" proliferate, and there's one of those at the next mooring too?  The cut would be a poorer place for the loss of kindness and consideration which is so often it's hallmark. 

Precisely; as I said in a previous post, if the inconsiderate ones remain unchallenged their behaviour doesn't change. 

15 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Dora, I don't know how experienced you are so forgive me if I'm teaching you to such eggs, but are you confident you're mooring well?  If not, consider this:

Your bow and stern lines should be at 45 degrees to the boat and run to rings (or bollards, goat chains, pins or whatever) beyond it, not back toward your centre.  If ring spacings don't allow this, pick up a ring one end and use a pin or goat chain at the other to adjust the spacing in your favour.  Don't be tempted to use your centre line from the roof, as any movement of the boat will cause it to tighten and the pull from high up will force your boat to roll towards the bank making the problem worse.

All this doesn't mean some folk won't go by without slowing, but it does mean that you're doing what you can to minimise the effect that they have on your boat.  When you pass other boats, watch how differently they react to your passing depending on how they're moored.

Hope that helps. :)

I'm moored on pins at the mo with my lines at 45 degrees.  My boat is moored pretty well and not moving much, but there's always a bit of a drop on one side as the water is pulled out from under me as boats go by too fast.  I'm not really too fussed about it.  I worry more about pins being pulled out.  Luckily the ground is really hard here so the pins are rock solid, but the passing boats don't know that, do they?  A bit further up from me the ground seems softer and I can see a couple of boats gradually having their pins loosened by boats going too fast past them. 

Thanks for the advice anyway.  it's not just me who reads these useful posts and learns from them.  There are lots of newbie lurkers on here who read this stuff, I know, I used to be one of them!

16 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Also a problem when you have a permanent mooring, we had a lot of it on our old mooring, the drunks tended to be worse-often falling asleep with it running!

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Thanks for the advice anyway.  it's not just me who reads these useful posts and learns from them.  There are lots of newbie lurkers on here who read this stuff, I know, I used to be one of them!

You're welcome - and that's exactly why I posted Dora, as I didn't know your own boating skills.  Of course, there is the odd boat that's either so fast or swims in such a way that it would still give yours a right battering if it was out of the water on davits! ;)

38 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I went for a wander up the canal at dusk last night for about 2 miles.  Set off at about 8.30 and got back sometime after 10.  I walked past 3 boats running their engines.  Maybe it is becoming normal?  I'd have thought that more boats having solar would mean this happened less.  Maybe they all have lots of electrical gubbins on their boats which they are trying to use.

11 hours ago, Jerra said:

Why is it that you choose a nice quiet place out in the sticks and suddenly others decide to moor close to you?  It always seems to happen.

Safety in numbers. Any thieves/vandals about another boat other than yours might be chosen.A boat on its own might be a tempting target for scrotes,but more than one may make them hesitate.

Also,a moored boat indicates that it is deep enough for another boat to moor without having to "walk the plank"

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm moored on pins at the mo with my lines at 45 degrees.  My boat is moored pretty well and not moving much, but there's always a bit of a drop on one side as the water is pulled out from under me as boats go by too fast.  I'm not really too fussed about it.  I worry more about pins being pulled out.  Luckily the ground is really hard here so the pins are rock solid, but the passing boats don't know that, do they?  A bit further up from me the ground seems softer and I can see a couple of boats gradually having their pins loosened by boats going too fast past them. 

You must be one of the few that do look for an answer before posting.

I'm of the opinion that folks jump in instead of doing any research. I blame it on tablets / mobile phones - too tedious to read anything in depth??

1 minute ago, OldGoat said:

You must be one of the few that do look for an answer before posting.

I'm of the opinion that folks jump in instead of doing any research. I blame it on tablets / mobile phones - too tedious to read anything in depth??

I don't think you're right.  Those are the ones you're aware of.  I know of boaters who've read this forum for years and never even joined up. 

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

I went for a wander up the canal at dusk last night for about 2 miles.  Set off at about 8.30 and got back sometime after 10.  I walked past 3 boats running their engines.  Maybe it is becoming normal?  I'd have thought that more boats having solar would mean this happened less.  Maybe they all have lots of electrical gubbins on their boats which they are trying to use.

Everybody now seems to have vast amounts of electrics, often running on 240v, from microwaves & washing machines to huge TVs. A fair few seem to run successful businesses from their laptops. 

The days of gas water heaters & fridges, plus a car radio and miniTV running off the battery seem to over, the downside being endless noise from engines or gennies. 

I have 240v fridge, washer, microwave, TV, toaster, phone and tablet chargers, and, in this weather, 300w of solar gives me all the power I need for the day by mid-morning. Water heating is done by the boiler so no engine running required.

6 hours ago, Furness said:

Safety in numbers. Any thieves/vandals about another boat other than yours might be chosen.A boat on its own might be a tempting target for scrotes,but more than one may make them hesitate.

Also,a moored boat indicates that it is deep enough for another boat to moor without having to "walk the plank"

So should I have a notice to say go away I want to moor on my own?   :D

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Just carry loads of crap on the roof and chuck it all on the towpath when you moor to put others off stopping to close.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jerra said:

There used to be a boat regularly moored between Napton and Hilmorton that for a couple of years had a sign hanging off the tiller saying something like "Generator will be running all night" which I suppose amounts to the same thing.

3 minutes ago, peter n said:

There used to be a boat regularly moored between Napton and Hilmorton that for a couple of years had a sign hanging off the tiller saying something like "Generator will be running all night" which I suppose amounts to the same thing.

It shouts "selfish bastard" as effectively as sitting in a BMW across two parking spaces.

Edited by Machpoint005

46 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Just carry loads of crap on the roof and chuck it all on the towpath when you moor to put others off stopping to close.

That don’t work. Others of a similar ilk will come and join you. 

12 minutes ago, peter n said:

Just found a photo from 2012.

P1010562.JPG.fa0fcbe04a014d7334c851ec89d3d0d3.JPG

Can’t you lose your license or something for that?

22 minutes ago, BWM said:

Has the look of someone who never got used to not owning a freehold property, get orf my land!

Although he probably believes all property is theft! ? Definite touch of the old flower power there, seems to me.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Although he probably believes all property is theft! ? Definite touch of the old flower power there, seems to me.

..apart from the bit he decides to occupy!