Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
jake_crew

Red Lion Cropredy

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I was sad to learn that Wetherspoon's hasn't, yet, infiltrated Cropredy.

Me too. 

Despite the widespread illogical worship of the Brasenose I am constantly disappointed by it as a pub. The 'real ale' (if there is any on) is average at best and often mediocre, and the food is of a standard to match.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Me too. 

Despite the widespread illogical worship of the Brasenose I am constantly disappointed by it as a pub. The 'real ale' (if there is any on) is average at best and often mediocre, and the food is of a standard to match.

Was your Sheep below paaaar the other eveningr?

Sorry to resurrect  this thread.  Having just stopped in Cropredy, can someone confirm that the Red Lion is indeed closed?

2 hours ago, john6767 said:

Sorry to resurrect  this thread.  Having just stopped in Cropredy, can someone confirm that the Red Lion is indeed closed?

It was closed last week. You are missing nowt if it still is anyway the brasenose is and always has been better.

I walked past it today. There is a notice on the door saying it will reopen on the 29th August. It hasn't.

For the record I prefer it to the Brasenose.

Edited by billS

3 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Better to walk out to The  Bell  Inn @ Little Bourton, we have had some splendid meals there.

Looks a bit of a long walk!  

Anyway had an ok, but not great, meal in the Brasenose.  Beer is ok though. Place deserted on a Sat night, with the other pub closed, says there is not much business to be had here.

9 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Anyway had an ok, but not great, meal in the Brasenose.  Beer is ok though. Place deserted on a Sat night, with the other pub closed, says there is not much business to be had here.

I'd say it is an illustration of my own repeated experience of the Brasenose. A mediocre pub where everything is 'ok', and no better. Both beer (when they have any) and food. I don't bother going in there unless there is a specific reason to, e.g meeting friends. The place always manages to underwhelm me. 

Which is a shame because from memory it was an excellent pub ten or fifteen years ago, with an even excellenter restaurant. ;)

39 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Looks a bit of a long walk!  

Which is why the Red Lion is closed. It simply isn't a viable business to work those hours for crap returns. The starting negotiation price for the Red Lion was recently 29 k which states categorically it's a waste of time. Please don't anybody tell me about Cropredy festival weekend paying for the other 360 days of the year!

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Which is why the Red Lion is closed. It simply isn't a viable business to work those hours for crap returns.

Not really. To me illustrates how the market for pub services is actually highly elastic. I don't see any fundamantal difference between the Folly at Napton and either of the two Cropredy pubs. Its the same canal with exactly the same boats going by! if you run a crap pub with mediocre beer, pedestrian food and bugger all else it is not going to attract people in. Run a great pub and the punters will materialise. There are endless examples of this. 

I'd say the Red Lion has been deliberately run into the ground in order to get change of use PP to residential. The place must be worth getting on for £1m as a house. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not really. To me illustrates how the market for pub services is actually highly elastic. I don't see any fundamantal difference between the Folly at Napton and either of the two Cropredy pubs. Its the same canal with exactly the same boats going by! if you run a crap pub with mediocre beer, pedestrian food and bugger all else it is not going to attract people in. Run a great pub and the punters will materialise. There are endless examples of this. 

I'd say the Red Lion has been deliberately run into the ground in order to get change of use PP to residential. The place must be worth getting on the £1m as a house. 

It's not really all about boaters though surely, you need locals in there at least drinking, and that was not happening tonight at least.

They got a late boost in trade from three pissed couples from a wedding somewhere in the village, could hear Sweet Caroline blasting out as we walked back to the boat.  My wide was enjoying earwiging them slagging the wedding off 😀 so that was entertaining 

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say the Red Lion has been deliberately run into the ground in order to get change of use PP to residential. The place must be worth getting on for £1m as a house. 

The folly has a vastly superior location and a vastly superior garden and a massive plus point of parking wheras the Lion has non. I was in the folly and it was busy on Tuesday night. Pubs are not what they used to be innitt.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

The folly has a vastly superior location and a vastly superior garden and a massive plus point of parking wheras the Lion has non. I was in the folly and it was busy on Tuesday night. Pubs are not what they used to be innitt.

The Brasenose has all that though, and still looks like a failing pub to me. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

The Brasenose has all that though, and still looks like a failing pub to me. 

Yeah it ain't good in reality 😟

i was in the folly two nights ago, the pint couldn't hold a head, pipes need cleaning. Listened to staff talking about how they didn't know how to clean the coffee machine and had sent coffee out not according to how it should be , but no one complained they said.

The food looked good though. And it does have character

Just had a meal at the Fenny wharf, ping food, and tasteless curry, terrible, reminds me why I don't eat in pubs unless all stores gone.

The merry pub twenty minute walk away is much better, but not prepared to walk back in the dark, that pass under the railway without a walkway looks dangerous in the daylight.

Red lion is open, went there this afternoon. The publican of the swan pub in Banbury , is looking after it for now, with a view to taking it over. He doesn't do food yet and doesn't have football on tv.yet at least.

He is still considering his options and when is the best times to have it open. He said he will post on line when decided. He was talking to the locals about what staple beer to have, and then a guest beer. Looks enthusiastic.

1 hour ago, Timx said:

Red lion is open, went there this afternoon. The publican of the swan pub in Banbury , is looking after it for now, with a view to taking it over. He doesn't do food yet and doesn't have football on tv.yet at least.

He is still considering his options and when is the best times to have it open. He said he will post on line when decided. He was talking to the locals about what staple beer to have, and then a guest beer. Looks enthusiastic.

An ex publican writing in my local newspaper said; "Anyone renting a pub from a pubco would do better to make a large pile of £20 pound notes in their garden and set light to them.That is less stressful and you will lose less money  than running a pubco's house."

11 hours ago, Timx said:

Oh god - I hope the Red Lion doesn't get the type of make over that the Swan "enjoyed".

It's a pity that the landlord of the White Horse in Banbury isn't the one taking it over. He certainly showed how to turn around a failing pub. A great and varying range of beer, simple and affordable food, and the telly is only turned on for important sporting events like the Six Nations or the World Cup, not Blackburn versus Scunthorpe.