decking boards

Featured Posts

Hello,

We have a cruiser stern which is proving to be a bit of a nightmare with regards to letting lots of rain water in the engine bilge.

I'm looking to replace our decking boards as they're very rotten.

I was wondering what the best material is to use? Also any other tips for preventing to much water going in?

Thanks,

Malcolm

21 minutes ago, curlass24 said:

Hello,

We have a cruiser stern which is proving to be a bit of a nightmare with regards to letting lots of rain water in the engine bilge.

I'm looking to replace our decking boards as they're very rotten.

I was wondering what the best material is to use? Also any other tips for preventing to much water going in?

Thanks,

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm, Google "hexagrip"  which is a phenolic plywood for such purposes. Weatherproof, non-slip, looks the business (cut edges must be sealed).  Good it is; cheap it ain't! :D

• 4 weeks later...

No there is not. Nor are there firms who will hold your hand whilst you do it.

If you have a boat either do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. I think you are expecting too much.

Buffalo board is a very good brand of phenolic bonded board, seal all edges with epoxy 2 pack.

26 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

No there is not. Nor are there firms who will hold your hand whilst you do it.

If you have a boat either do it yourself or pay someone to do it for you. I think you are expecting too much.

Buffalo board is a very good brand of phenolic bonded board, seal all edges with epoxy 2 pack.

I'm puzzled.  My boat came with a customized deck board that was professionally edged and looked way too good to have been done by my builder.  I must ask him where it came from as it needs replacing after 7 years.

Are you going aluminium chequer then? Does that mean no winter cruising or have you invested in very well insulated boots? (Plus ear defenders for the rest of the year)  In case you haven't spotted it, I'm not a fan of metal decks, but that's just because of many years experience in metal decked ships, so perhaps I'm a bit biased.

• Happy 1

13 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Are you going aluminium chequer then? Does that mean no winter cruising or have you invested in very well insulated boots? (Plus ear defenders for the rest of the year)  In case you haven't spotted it, I'm not a fan of metal decks, but that's just because of many years experience in metal decked ships, so perhaps I'm a bit biased.

My decks and hatches are metal with rubber deck matting on top, very quiet when cruising and warm and soft on your feet even bare feet.

Neil

On 10/07/2018 at 09:26, Neil Smith said:

Get them made from aluminium chequer plate, light, non slip and lasts years.

Neil.

I disagree about it being non-slip and so does the HSA:

Metal Surfaces Slip Resistance

CIRIA C652  2010 Update, page 62, shows a "high slip potential" especially when wet for

• aluminium sheet
  • aluminium chequer plate
  • mild steel plate
  • mild steel durbar plate
  • mild steel cold formed planks type "BP"

http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Topics/Slips_Trips_Falls/Pedestrian_Surfaces/Metal_and_Profiled_Surfaces/

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Neil Smith said:

My decks and hatches are metal with rubber deck matting on top, very quiet when cruising and warm and soft on your feet even bare feet.

Neil

Well that does at least mitigate for some of the problems then, eh? Not least the additional point raised by Blackrose above - I've always found metal decks, particularly aluminium chequer plate, bloomin' lethal, including in the Navy's finest (yeah, right) non-slip steaming boots. 

If you are buying buffalo or hex board - don't buy it on the internet unless from a recognised source. Incredible but there is counterfeit stuff around! I bought what I thought was a bargain, a mistake not to be repeated. Good hex board is the way to go. If you put soundproofing under it - not just grippy but quiet as well. 

You will need to replace it every decade or so but that isn't too much to ask. 

On 02/08/2018 at 13:47, curlass24 said:

thanks any recommendations for companies that offer custom sizes so I don't have to cut?

RP Panels in Hoddesdon will cut to your dimensions. Not far from London.