Boat identification

Featured Posts

37 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

I do not know where Bridge 76 is but I am sure this is F.M.C. Ltd. motor LILY :captain:

edit = LILY suffered cabin fire damage near Blisworth in late 2006 and as far as I am aware has never been returned to service.

Sorry I should have said, bridge 76 is just north of Great Haywood. 

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

She is well out of the water in that photo as well

Yes. So does the team think there is no engine, or just a very light one?

Or do all carrying boats run with the uxter that far out of the water when unladen?

In 2006 LILY was powered by a single cylinder 20hp Bolinder BM, it having been fitted in 1998 replacing a single cylinder 25hp Seffle that had been in this boat since 1963.

I like to run with the counter a few inches out of the water but I do not think LILY would make much progress that high out. My suspicion is that the boat is pumped out and with an empty(ish) fuel tank, and perhaps some ballast removed - if it had any ballast as it was sometimes loaded prior to the fire in late 2006 :captain:

copyright Jon Millard - Braunston June 2006DSC00540.JPG.c29fbea6c8621a830fe8888949feb40d.JPG

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. So does the team think there is no engine, or just a very light one?

Or do all carrying boats run with the uxter that far out of the water when unladen?

I think it has an engine present, but very little fuel and ballast.

As Pete says progress would be slow, I think.

Stopping is the worst bit in cases like that!

8 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I think it has an engine present, but very little fuel and ballast.

As Pete says progress would be slow, I think.

Stopping is the worst bit in cases like that!

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. I find with even the slightest bit of uxter plate out of the water, the brakes completely vanish. 

About 90% of all the boating I have done since the early 1970's has been with a motor / butty pair. Perhaps this way of boating makes the steerer think / plan further ahead as reverse is often not much of an option, with the butty pushing you on or the risk of a tow line on the blades - both of which can lead to mayhem and is somewhat unprofessional. I like to run with the counter a few inches out for a couple of reasons, 1 - the counter pulls down to only flat on when moving forward so keeping draught to a minimum and speed to a maximum as more water feeds into the propeller (and less chance of hitting underwater obstructions) and 2 - I think it looks cool.

When I recovered my boat off the River Thames a few weeks ago the counter was further out than I would normally have it, but I was amazed how quickly it pulled down and how well it reversed / stopped - but it did cavitate a bit as air was pulled in from about half way down the swims :captain: