Lifeboat Conversion

Ryan86t

Featured Posts

Hello ? 

i have just purchased a davit lifeboat to convert into a live aboard. 

My first job is to remove all the gear (straps and tanks) and cut out the bulkhead, pictures to come! I may have a few questions when I get stuck over the next few weeks. 

Any ideas on the easiest way to cut through hard foam?? 

•Saw

•hot knife-wire

Cheers

11 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

??Thanks. I would like to be able to have a chat with them, they did such a good job. I’ve got one month in the yard to make some what a home. 

29 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Multi tool?

I’ll give it a go! 

1789E558-14F4-43EE-86A9-320FC5FA447E.jpeg

55B431F1-FED8-4D85-B46C-A3AD722B6E86.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Ryan86t said:

I’ll give it a go! 

If you haven't got one, get half a decent one.   I got a cheap cordless one and the battery only lasts ten (well not quite) seconds so is next to useless.   I now have a Makita corded one, much better and the cable is very long.   You will find it probably one of the most useful tools in your kit.

5 minutes ago, Ryan86t said:

??Thanks. I would like to be able to have a chat with them, they did such a good job. I’ve got one month in the yard to make some what a home. 

I think it's now on the L&L near Shipley.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I would be surprised if you make much of an impression fitting out in a month. 

Well I have a history in fabrication and woodwork. I’m bit of a handyman so we will see. It does not need to be perfect I can do all the small jobs later on. Just need the essentials. 

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

If you haven't got one, get half a decent one.   I got a cheap cordless one and the battery only lasts ten (well not quite) seconds so is next to useless.   I now have a Makita corded one, much better and the cable is very long.   You will find it probably one of the most useful tools in your kit.

It was in Skipton when I saw it in May

3 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Great thanks ? 

10 minutes ago, Ryan86t said:

Well I have a history in fabrication and woodwork. I’m bit of a handyman so we will see. It does not need to be perfect I can do all the small jobs later on. Just need the essentials. 

It will take longer than you think (most likely a lot longer),  this will be mainly due to...

1. Nothing will be straight.

2. Lack of room

3. Nothing will be straight.

13 minutes ago, Robbo said:

It will take longer than you think (most likely a lot longer),  this will be mainly due to...

2. Lack of room

Plus the pencil fairy hiding the bloody thing

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Robbo said:

2. Lack of room

I’m sure it will but you can’t knock a guy for trying. 

The thing I find most wearing about fitting out a boat on the land is the constant climbing in and out of the boat. Even if I can get the van right up next to it, constant climbing the ladders to get in and out seems to make any job take twice as long as in a house. Even if the job is upstairs!

1 minute ago, Ryan86t said:

I need some advice on what inverter I will need??

What do you want to run from the inverter? This is a starting point.

Interesting set of batteries you have there. Only three will struggle to run a big inverter. You may need more.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What do you want to run from the inverter? This is a starting point.

Interesting set of batteries you have there. Only three will struggle to run a big inverter. You may need more.

Not only that - but from the photo, not much room to fit a larger alternator to charge big batteries

1 hour ago, Ryan86t said:

I’ll give it a go! 

Navvies Ark was on the Airedale Boat Club moorings (just before Bingley Five Rise) last year, they don't seem to have a functioning website but there is a Facebook page.  

41 minutes ago, Ryan86t said:

I’m sure it will but you can’t knock a guy for trying. 

I've been trying it for years :D

When you move on, you'll find that most of the space is used for just living on it.   So I would recommend that you get near enough all of it done before moving on board.   I would try and extend the yard usage if at all possible.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, Ryan86t said:

I need some advice on what inverter I will need??

With just two smallish domestic batteries to power it the answer is "a very small one", say about 100 watts. So only any good for charging phones etc. Certainly no good for power tools.