Boat Mechanic Wolverhampton area?

Featured Posts

Hi does anyone know of a good boat mechanic in Wolverhampton?

Our boat is at Autherley junction and has been for a few days making a bit of blue smoke when running. It seems to be coming from the place where the exhaust goes through the side of boat? It looks like the seal on the outside of the boat ( where the exhaust fumes come out) has a section chipped off but not convinced this explains the problem entirely.

It is starting and running fine (at the moment!) it's just smoky down there which is worrying.

It has just two weeks ago had a service including an oil change and new oil filter.

Would just like someone to come have a look at it!

Many thanks..

Oxley marine services is just a stone’s throw from Autherley, towards Stourport about 200 yds. They are a “proper” boatyard who know their stuff. The boss is called Orph Mabel, which is a pretty good start! I don’t think you will do better.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Oxley marine services is just a stone’s throw from Autherley, towards Stourport about 200 yds. They are a “proper” boatyard who know their stuff. The boss is called Orph Mabel, which is a pretty good start! I don’t think you will do better.

That is a pretty impressive name! Thanks very much - will check them out!

Blue smoke generally means oil, is it air or water cooled, we get a bit more blue when its hot as the ambient temp is higher, so the cooling is reduced.

secondly you mention an oil change this can have two influences.

if the grade was lighter you may burn off more oil if you have some existing wear, certainly if we use 20 grade in summer it looks like water after a few hours running.

second if the engine is old the new oil may be over specified, too many detergents, removing nice deposits resulting in smoke

5 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Blue smoke generally means oil, is it air or water cooled, we get a bit more blue when its hot as the ambient temp is higher, so the cooling is reduced.

secondly you mention an oil change this can have two influences.

if the grade was lighter you may burn off more oil if you have some existing wear, certainly if we use 20 grade in summer it looks like water after a few hours running.

second if the engine is old the new oil may be over specified, too many detergents, removing nice deposits resulting in smoke

Our engine is a Perkins Prima and is water cooled. Yeah I wondered if the heat and or the recent oil change had something to do with it. In which case is there anything we can do about it? Or just hope it sorts itself out?

Cant do much about first except give up until winter!!! 

I think thats a sherpa/ montego engine from the late 80s.

Second you could establish if the oil used was the same as previous , or did you do it yourself. 

A bloke on our mooring went and filled his bmc 1.8 with synthetic oil’ coz more expensive is better yes?’ what didnt leak out burned because it was like water and the oil control rings were a bit weary as were the guides. He replaced it with low detergent 20/50 and normal service was resumed.

i guess you need to try and measure your oil cosumption to get a picture of change, because any engine of that age is likely to benefit from work, but the benefit may be to the mechanic. If you have a pressure guage that and a consumption check might aleviate your concerns.

11 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Cant do much about first except give up until winter!!! 

I think thats a sherpa/ montego engine from the late 80s.

Second you could establish if the oil used was the same as previous , or did you do it yourself. 

A bloke on our mooring went and filled his bmc 1.8 with synthetic oil’ coz more expensive is better yes?’ what didnt leak out burned because it was like water and the oil control rings were a bit weary as were the guides. He replaced it with low detergent 20/50 and normal service was resumed.

i guess you need to try and measure your oil cosumption to get a picture of change, because any engine of that age is likely to benefit from work, but the benefit may be to the mechanic. If you have a pressure guage that and a consumption check might aleviate your concerns.

Yeah I should check with the mechanic what oil was used. The oil consumption was a bit higher than normal we had to put in half a litre after 4 days travel.

11 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Sorry the other thing is have you been sitting charging with the engine for  long periods. Bore glazing is a phenomena that can cause blue smoke and you  say youve been at autherly a few days. In which case you know the answer!!!

We haven't been at Autherley that long and haven't been doing lots of sitting and charging as the boat has been moving for a good 6 hours a day. Have come up the river from Gloucester docks. 

I think maybe a trip to Oxley Marine is in order..

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Have you checked the engine oil level? Just wondering if it was over-filled.

Yeah it doesn't look over filled at all. If anything it's using a little more oil than usual