sound deadening

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, dreadnought said:

hi all, i`m looking for some good soundproofing for my engine room on my nb, any suggestions/recommendations please, many thanks 

Engine ROOM? 

I just shut the doors on mine.

Or do you mean engine compartment under the floor? 

Cruiser stern or trad?

3 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

There are plenty of threads about this on the forum.  Use Google rather than the forum's own search facility.  E.g. search: "canalworld discussion forum sound proofing"

For example here's a discussion on the subject. (This is for an engine compartment, not an engine room per se).

Edited by koukouvagia

37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Engine ROOM? 

I just shut the doors on mine.

Or do you mean engine compartment under the floor? 

Cruiser stern or trad?

compartment under the floor/deck semi trad,i thought soundproofing was soundproofing ?

Have had TW Marine fit both hospital silencer and sound deadening. The effect is sooooo good. The silencer is the bigest part of the effect. Where as many places have one or two silencers available these guys have a load which meant that the result is very neat. I have no links to them but I can recomend their services.

Edited by DaveR

1 hour ago, DaveR said:

Have had TW Marine fit both hospital silencer and sound deadening. The effect is sooooo good. The silencer is the bigest part of the effect. Where as many places have one or two silencers available these guys have a load which meant that the result is very neat. I have no links to them but I can recomend their services.

Ditto except I fitted it myself, they supplied.

I got some black foam, about 40mm thick, closed cell so doesn't hold water, and totally fireproof. You can play a blowlamp on it and it won't burn.

It is used for prison cell mattresses.

Having seen many boats with soundproofing falling off with heat, I glued and screwed mine with penny washers on the screws.

Dropped in a big silencer, 900mm X 350mm. It just fits under a cupboard on the rear swim. Almost silent BMC 1.8D in a trad.

40 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Sticking "soundproofing material" inside the engine 'ole can be a waste of effort unless the deckboards fit snugly.

Agreed, but done properly it can produce a pretty impressive sound reduction.  In my case the decibel level went down from 80dB to just over 50dB.

48 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Sticking "soundproofing material" inside the engine 'ole can be a waste of effort unless the deckboards fit snugly.

Unless you are building a separate box around the engine.   I'm doing this due to the size of engine room.

Edited by Robbo

38 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Unless you are building a separate box around the engine.   I'm doing this due to the size of engine room.

Don't forget to allow openings or grills for the engine air intake and the alternator cooling.  In my experience these necessary openings don't make much difference to the sound level.

P1250544.JPG.1b6a3d76c9667450fc34ce37cec932d6.JPG571724332_InkedP1210957_LI(1).jpg.a1df22bcf44ab3e687f4c0e5c9f4fc90.jpg

Just now, koukouvagia said:

Don't forget to allow openings or grills for the engine air intake and the alternator cooling.  In my experience these necessary openings don't make much difference to the sound level.

Vents it's good to do something like...

1c1aa2f6_image.jpeg

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

P1250544.JPG.1b6a3d76c9667450fc34ce37cec932d6.JPG571724332_InkedP1210957_LI(1).jpg.a1df22bcf44ab3e687f4c0e5c9f4fc90.jpg

May I point out that those air holes in front fo the alternator are unlikely to be very effective. the fans draw air from the back of the alternator to the front and then "spin it outwards"

The square hole covered in msh is a far better idea and position.

35 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

May I point out that those air holes in front fo the alternator are unlikely to be very effective. the fans draw air from the back of the alternator to the front and then "spin it outwards"

The square hole covered in msh is a far better idea and position.

Yes, that had occurred to me.  However, the alternator is not overheating, even in this hot weather. I'll keep my eye on it and possibly do as you suggest.

59 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Yes, that had occurred to me.  However, the alternator is not overheating, even in this hot weather. I'll keep my eye on it and possibly do as you suggest.

If its not overheating then why bother - enjoy boating!

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

However, the alternator is not overheating, even in this hot weather. 

But have you checked it for overheating with the engine actually running, as well as in the hot weather? 

:giggles: