Best Paint for Freshwater Tank

Featured Posts

Hello all!

I have a rusty integral steel freshwater tank that is in good need of a clean and paint.

I plan to use Vactan to solve the rust issue. I have used Vactan in other places previously and found it very good at treating rust.

The question is if a top coat is really required also? Vactan does say it is suitable for drinking water tanks and many say on here they have only used Vactan (no top coat) in their tanks without problems.

Ideally I would like to top coat with a two pack solvent free epoxy. The only thing putting me off this is the long drying times epoxy needs before it's ready for use. It would put my tank out of service for a couple of weeks and being a live aboard, that is far from ideal.

Has anyone used Vactan and can say its been fine and opened and inspected their tank after a couple of years to see what is it like with only Vactan applied?

Having treated a rusty old engine hole with Vactan, then left it for a few weeks while getting round to buying the paint and starting the job, I can state categorically that Vactan does not prevent further rust appearing, and very quickly.

My understanding is that it is suitable as a primer, so one would assume that it is not suitable as either an undercoat or a topcoat. If I were doing the job, I'd bite the bullet and cover Vactan with 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of undercoat, and 2 coats of a suitable watertank topcoat.

I forgot my other question also...

What would people recommend as a top coat? Are there good two pack paints out there that have a better drying time? Most want at least 8 days after final coat. For example International Interline, Jotun Tankguard, Hempadur etc.