One month in

rawsondsr

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is correct. What actually happens in my experience is the list only ever gets longer.

I keep telling my wife that I’ll get the jobs done. There’s no need to keep reminding me every six months...

11 hours ago, rawsondsr said:

So far, best decision i ever made, already done 304 miles, 418 locks, 16 tunnels and 11 lift/swing bridges, mostly solo.

You're counting all that? No wonder you're not getting your chores done! :D

Glad you're enjoying it. 

11 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

You're counting all that? No wonder you're not getting your chores done!

The wonders of canalplan, and a spreadsheet log, to keep track of costs and travel - it lets me know the most locks in a day ive done is 43, 1.6 litres per hour fuel, and any other nerdy things i want to know haha!

The previous owners only put on about 100 hours a year for the past 6/7 years (not using it was reason for sale), ive done about 220 in a month, so at least the boats actually getting used as a boat!

3 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

The wonders of canalplan, and a spreadsheet log, to keep track of costs and travel - it lets me know the most locks in a day ive done is 43, 1.6 litres per hour fuel, and any other nerdy things i want to know haha!

The previous owners only put on about 100 hours a year for the past 6/7 years (not using it was reason for sale), ive done about 220 in a month, so at least the boats actually getting used as a boat!

but are you exploring the places or just travelling everyday .I know people who did the system in quick order and then lost interest because the wall map was full of highlighter 

You have a vaild point - this month has been get the boat to home to sort a few things out, then go off to near Tardebigge to see some family before they move to Cornwall in a week or so, and then get back home to finalise sorting things out - now things will be a lot more slow - not so much travelling for 10 hours every day for 2 weeks, but a few hours here, spend a few days here, go on a bit and so forth. This first month has been an unusually busy one.  And a hot one!

• Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

1.6 litres per hour fuel, and any other nerdy things i want to know haha!

You're hacking along with too much throttle. Ease back and the boat will stop digging the stern in but go just as fast. Fuel consumption will fall to about 1.0 litre an hour when you get it right.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

37 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You're hacking along with too much throttle. Ease back and the boat will stop digging the stern in but go just as fast. Fuel consumption will fall to about 1.0 litre an hour when you get it right.

I was just thinking along the same lines... slow down man!

We've probably done 600 to 700 hours in our 3 years (I'd know exactly if I could be arsed to go inside the boat to check my log) and have averaged 0.8 litres per hour in our 45 footer.

Maybe I go too slowly?

24 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

We've probably done 600 to 700 hours in our 3 years (I'd know exactly if I could be arsed to go inside the boat to check my log) and have averaged 0.8 litres per hour in our 45 footer.

Maybe I go too slowly?

My experiments with the GPS speedometer show my boat goes along at the same speed on canals regardless of how much power I have wound on. Even dropping back to near tickover to pass moored boats doesn't lose that much speed. 1mph perhaps, from 3mph.

The more power I have wound on, the more water is sucked from under the boat and the more it drags its arse along through the silt on the bottom.

30 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

Maybe I go too slowly?

O dear, I am doing it wrong  770 hours last year with 184 nights  on board, 370 hours this year so far and 103 nights on board

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

O dear, I am doing it wrong  770 hours last year with 184 nights  on board, 370 hours this year so far and 103 nights on board

Had this turned into a competition about who runs the engine for longest. Or spends the most nights on board.

I misunderstood, I thought we were talking about fuel consumption and average speed.

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought it was how much ground he had covered in his boat since had it

That's how it started out but now we've started a campaign to get him to ease back on the throttle (1.6 litres per hour!) before he washes away all the canal banks.

Edited by Lily Rose
Error correction

35 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

before he washes away all the canal banks.

Looking through my average speeds for days spent travelling, the highest is 2.1mph and the lowest 1.1mph (excluding tardebigge days, where its more like 0.6mph) average about 1.8mph, speeding is not an issue - if i ever see breaking waves, i slow - normally the shallower canals.  

I suspect mentally - more noise, more go, though this is not the case, i just need to change that thought - and drop reves to a more suitable 11-1200 rpm,rather than the 16/1700 i currently sit on.

(Beta 43)

7 minutes ago, rawsondsr said:

Looking through my average speeds for days spent travelling, the highest is 2.1mph and the lowest 1.1mph (excluding tardebigge days, where its more like 0.6mph) average about 1.8mph, speeding is not an issue - if i ever see breaking waves, i slow - normally the shallower canals.  

I suspect mentally - more noise, more go, though this is not the case, i just need to change that thought - and drop reves to a more suitable 11-1200 rpm,rather than the 16/1700 i currently sit on.

(Beta 43)

It quite surprising how much you can back off for little loss of speed, and on shallow narrow waters no loss of speed.

6 hours ago, rawsondsr said:

(Beta 43)

We’ve a Beta 43 and cruise at 1300, or 1400 revs on a deep canal if we’re not causing a breaking wash. Your 16/1700 would be more suitable for rivers. 

Or maybe you just have a tiny propellor??

2 hours ago, MHS said:

We’ve a Beta 43 and cruise at 1300, or 1400 revs on a deep canal if we’re not causing a breaking wash. Your 16/1700 would be more suitable for rivers. 

Or maybe you just have a tiny propellor??

I have a Beta 43 and I have never exceeded 1200  in forward gear (or so the dial says) and only reached that on rivers.

The engine is in a 70' boat with a 23" prop.

Maybe my tachograph is faulty?

No point in comparing rpm as boats differ depending on a combination of hull shape, engine make, propeller shape, size of alternator/ battery bank and state of charge. Our consumption varied between 1 lph and 2 lph depending on all those factors.