Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Alan de Enfield

Government Plans For Increasing Cycling & Walking

Featured Posts

7.4.3 Cycling and Walking Investment

Strategy 127.

The Cycling and Walking Investment Strategy was published on 21 April 2017 and sets out the UK government’s plans for cycling and walking, with an ambition up to 2040 for “making cycling and walking the natural choice for short journeys or as part of a longer journey.” Underlining the ambition are four objectives to: increase cycling activity; walking activity; reduce the rate of cyclists killed or injured on England’s roads and to increase the percentage of children walking to school, by 2020. Further to this, by 2025, the strategy aims to double cycling; increase walking to 300 stages per person per year and has a target of increasing the percentage of children aged 5 to 10 that usually walk to school to 55%.

Strategy 128. The Strategy identifies £1.2 billion which may be invested in cycling and walking from 2016-21, including over £300 million of dedicated funding during this Parliament and other funding drawn from Highways England, schemes already committed in the Local Growth Fund and a portion of the Integrated Transport Block based on previous trends. This also includes £64 million of government funding from the Access Fund and the Cycling and Walking to Work Fund to encourage more cycling and walking to access work, education and training. The funding will support local projects in England from 2017 to 2020. 

UK plan for tackling roadside nitrogen dioxide concentrations  Detailed plan :

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/633270/air-quality-plan-detail.pdf

Edited by Alan de Enfield

55% of children between 5-10 to walk to school?? Wow!

When I was a lad it was 99%. Today it is 1%. Methinks they need to ban cars as well.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

When I was a lad it was 99%. Today it is 1%. Methinks they need to ban cars as well.

That's pretty much what the plan is about.

Its back to the middle-ages.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

A good start would be educating drivers in how to overtake cyclist in a safe manner. 

Or educate cyclists how to ride on a road safely without undertaking cars, jumping red lights, failing to stop for pedestrian crossings which are all things I see daily whilst walking to work.

• Greenie 4

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Or educate cyclists how to ride on a road safely without undertaking cars, jumping red lights, failing to stop for pedestrian crossings which are all things I see daily whilst walking to work.

Or Perhaps both! 

A few years ago, our Local Council widened the pavement between Bradford on Avon and Trowbridge to provide a 2 metre wide Cycle and Walking path, taking almost a metre of road to achieve this. Do the cyclists use it? do they heck, they still insist on cycling on the road causing hold ups because it is no longer wide enough to overtake them. If cycle paths are provided alongside roads, it should be an offence to ride on the road unless the cycle path is blocked.

• Greenie 2

51 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Or stop cutting council grants that result in the closure of so many schools, so that pupils have to be bused or driven there?

49 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's pretty much what the plan is about.

Its back to the middle-ages.

They did not have bicycles in the middle ages or much in the way of schools either for that matter.

8 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

A few years ago, our Local Council widened the pavement between Bradford on Avon and Trowbridge to provide a 2 metre wide Cycle and Walking path, taking almost a metre of road to achieve this. Do the cyclists use it? do they heck, they still insist on cycling on the road causing hold ups because it is no longer wide enough to overtake them. If cycle paths are provided alongside roads, it should be an offence to ride on the road unless the cycle path is blocked.

There is a Footpath/Cycle Track between Windsor and Old Windsor ,locals use it but the Lycrists do not use it they insist on causing 17 Mph rolling Roadblocks(in a 50 MPH limit) and they will not proceed in single File.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But just think of the benefits as the tow-path gets upgraded to a tarmac 'track' from a muddy lane. Much nicer for all us boaters.

I tend to boat up the water.  Apart from the bit at a lock, the state of the towpath is immaterial to me.

George

• Greenie 3

4 minutes ago, churchward said:

They did not have bicycles in the middle ages or much in the way of schools either for that matter.

If we had Bicycles at the time I reckon we would have Won the Battle of Hastings , with Lambrettas we we would have maybe won the Battle of Brighton!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, churchward said:

Not a lot of folks know how early the bicycle was invented.

Boris Indrikov's medieval bicycle from Château Gaillard

The only known example remaining being excavated

Image result for Boris Indrikov's medieval bicycle from Château Gaillard

Image result for bicycle in the middle ages

Image result for Boris Indrikov's medieval bicycle from Château Gaillard

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not a lot of folks know how early the bicycle was invented.

Boris Indrikov's medieval bicycle from Château Gaillard

Image result for bicycle in the middle ages

Arf!  although using Pintrest as a source of truth is questionable to say the least.

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But just think of the benefits as the tow-path gets upgraded to a tarmac 'track' from a muddy lane. Much nicer for all us boaters.

On that basis lets ugrade everything to tarmac so we get more motorbikes as well - what joy

14 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

I think you will find the catchment area of many schools is now much larger certainly in rural areas.  Up here some infant/junior kids travel up to 10 miles to school.

14 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

13 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

There is a Footpath/Cycle Track between Windsor and Old Windsor ,locals use it but the Lycrists do not use it they insist on causing 17 Mph rolling Roadblocks(in a 50 MPH limit) and they will not proceed in single File.

Two primary reasons for cyclists not using these types of cycle path are that they tend to collect debris which lead to an increase in punctures, and the second, more importantly concerns safety. These widened pavements place the rider so close to driveways that even a careful driver emerging is a potentially deadly hazard. They are not fit for purpose and just serve to inflame the temper of the already impatient, territorial driver. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, BWM said:

Two primary reasons for cyclists not using these types of cycle path are that they tend to collect debris which lead to an increase in punctures, and the second, more importantly concerns safety. These widened pavements place the rider so close to driveways that even a careful driver emerging is a potentially deadly hazard. They are not fit for purpose and just serve to inflame the temper of the already impatient, territorial driver. 

This Cycle Track runs alongside the Crown Estate and the is only one Driveway in its One and a Half Mile length ,the Track is Approx. 3 Metres wide.

10 minutes ago, BWM said:

I am no defender of cyclists but, certainly one cycle track in a town I once lived in, was NEVER swept although the road alongside was regularly visited by the council sweeper.  As a result the cycle track was a carpet of broken glass.

George

11 minutes ago, BWM said:

Two primary reasons for cyclists not using these types of cycle path are that they tend to collect debris which lead to an increase in punctures,

Maybe if cyclists were to pay an annual licence fee, part of it could be used to fund 'street cleaners' to clean up the 'debris'.

16 minutes ago, BWM said:

The path between Bradford on Avon and Trowbridge only has one Marina and one gated farm entrance along it's entire length and is regularly swept by one of those motorised sweeping machines, so not really any excuse.

One question. If the the driver is as you say "a careful driver emerging" how dioes that correalate with "inflame the temper of the already impatient, territorial driver." or did you mean to write "inflame the temper of the already impatient, territorial cyclist"?

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, BWM said:

I don't disagree with your description of some drivers, (impatient, territorial), but it is strange that you don't apply some kind of derogatory description to cyclists, (not all, just some). I come across several impatient and territorial cyclists every day, on both the road, and the towpath.

One of the things that truly annoys me with cyclists is that, as a driver, I have to wait to pass a cyclist until there is space to leave about 6ft when passing, (I agree that this is something that drivers should do)... However, if I am then slowed a bit by traffic, it is quite OK for that cyclist to come up on my inside, at speed, leaving inches between the cycle and my car. Then, when the traffic gets a bit of speed up, we all have to wait until we can pass the cyclist with 6ft or so clearance. I don't know the specific laws, or the Highway Code rule/s relating to this, but it strikes me as really f'ing stupid to risk life and limb as a cyclist undertaking a moving vehicle.

No doubt someone will take from this that I admit to not knowing the specific laws and code, but I doubt that any of us can quote every rule relating to our lives. Most of us get by with a reasonable working knowledge, and some common decency and sense.

ETA In this context, by "several", i mean more than 2 or 3, and probably less than 10 :)

Edited by Richard10002
  • Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I don't disagree with your description of some drivers, (impatient, territorial), but it is strange that you don't apply some kind of derogatory description to cyclists, (not all, just some). I come across several impatient and territorial cyclists every day, on both the road, and the towpath.

One of the things that truly annoys me with cyclists is that, as a driver, I have to wait to pass a cyclist until there is space to leave about 6ft when passing, (I agree that this is something that drivers should do)... However, if I am then slowed a bit by traffic, it is quite OK for that cyclist to come up on my inside, at speed, leaving inches between the cycle and my car. Then, when the traffic gets a bit of speed up, we all have to wait until we can pass the cyclist with 6ft or so clearance. I don't know the specific laws, or the Highway Code rule/s relating to this, but it strikes me as really f'ing stupid to risk life and limb as a cyclist undertaking a moving vehicle.

No doubt someone will take from this that I admit to not knowing the specific laws and code, but I doubt that any of us can quote every rule relating to our lives. Most of us get by with a reasonable working knowledge, and some common decency and sense.

That 6 Foot clearance can be Quite  alarming when Car Drivers swing out briskly ,especially if one is approaching from the other direction on a Motorcycle.