Engine alarm not working

Featured Posts

Hi, just a quick question, when I have started my engine, I.e, putting it on heat for a few seconds, the alarm normally. Starts till I turn engine over, then it goes off.

However last couple of days I have done it , the alarm doesn't start. I continue as normal as heat light comes on , and after a few seconds it starts as normal.

At end of cruise as I press stop, the alarm comes on as normal, until I switch off as normal.

is this a sign of an impending problem, does it need to be looked at, I am not practical apart from the obvious.

Thanks for any thoughts.

What engine and what control panel do you have? Is it an sound alarm you are talking about, or a visual light? Sound alarms can be fitted to warn of a number of different problems, like low oil pressure, no charging, or high water temperature and emphasise a warning light, or a gauge that you might otherwise miss. Do you know which it is on your boat? Need some more information to say if what you are experiencing is a problem.

Jen

The usual alarm that sounds pre-starting is low oil pressure, which is correct because the engine isn’t running so no pressure is present. 

In this case though, it is odd the alarm comes on when the engine stops so we know it works at that point. But doesn’t come back on next time the key switch is turned ON. so is unlikely to be a sticking oil pressure sender. 

Does the ignition light still come on as usual prior to starting the engine? And after stopping? 

Thanks for replies, I turn it on half a turn and the yellow light comes on along with the alarm, I wait a few seconds for heater plugs to warm up ,then a further turn starts the engine and the alarm goes off usually.

now the yellow light comes on , but no alarm, I have carried on normal starting sequence and all is well. When I turn off the engine, the alarm sounds as usual, until I turn the key off.

the central red button stops the engine, I then turn the key to off.

Thanks for your time.

image.jpg

The ignition light is acting as usual , it's just the alarm noise that is acting differently.

The red lamp with the picture of as battery on it should come on as soon as you turn the ignition on and go out ass you start and rev the engine. Does it, because you do not mention the red light. What does the voltmeter show during the day?

If not then there may be an alternator fault (possibly brushes). Locate  the thin wire on the alternator that connects to the warning lamp. The terminal is often marked D+. Take the wire off and with the ignition on rub it on some clean metal. If the light then comes on every time you know the warning lamp circuit is OK and the alternator is probably faulty.  Poor brush contact within the alternator would stop the bulb illuminating and the buzzer sounding.

Hi thanks for answer, yeah, the red light comes on at start and goes off as engine revs, also the voltmeter shows charging , goes to somewhere over the 12. Everything seems normal apart from the alarm not sounding on start. The batteries are charged fine according to seperate bmv.

I have just gone to start the engine to check again, and the alarm sounded as normal. I have not ran the engine for 4 or 5 days as I am in a marina for a week. 

So that's weird, or could it be due to an impending problem. ?

3 hours ago, Timx said:

I have just gone to start the engine to check again, and the alarm sounded as normal. I have not ran the engine for 4 or 5 days as I am in a marina for a week. 

Have you been on a battery charger while you have been there?

12 hours ago, Timx said:

Exactly how my audible behaved with loose terminals on the diode block that is usually behind the panel.   Repeat advice given yesterday - check the connectiosn on the back of the panel.

Also check the connections in any large multi-way connector in the main engine wiring harness.

Thanks for answers, I will get someone to look at the wiring, as you suggest,also ,it is on charge, but my bmv  and voltmeter,tells me it is charging normally when not on plug in.Thanks again for your help.